• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten copper keys if we started a portfolio?

74 posts in this topic

I would think that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 would likely be #1 on the list. I'd also put Albedo #2 on there for it's low print run and staying power.

investing in copper age keys sounds to me like a good way to turn $5k into $5.125k in about 20 years.

that being said, if you want to buy CA books that have any real chance of appreciating beyond what you could expect to achieve by putting the same amount of $$ into a decent Fund, I would start with TNMT 1 in 9.0+ and end with TNMT 1 in 9.0+ unless you manage to pull a genuine Gobbledygook 1 out of Laird or Eastman's bunghole

investing in copper age keys sounds to me like a good way to turn $5k into $5.125k in about 20 years.

that being said, if you want to buy CA books that have any real chance of appreciating beyond what you could expect to achieve by putting the same amount of $$ into a decent Fund, I would start with TNMT 1 in 9.0+ and end with TNMT 1 in 9.0+ unless you manage to pull a genuine Gobbledygook 1 out of Laird or Eastman's bunghole

but - if you pulled the Gobbledygook from that resource... it's most likely not investment grade. Just sayin'. ;)

I would start with TNMT 1 in 9.0+ and end with TNMT 1 in 9.0+ unless you manage to pull a genuine Gobbledygook 1 out of Laird or Eastman's bunghole

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

TNMT 1

Love and Rockets 1

Miracleman 15

Secret Wars 1

DKR 1

SwampThing 21

Cerebus 1 (is this bronze?)

ASM 300

Crisis 8

Daredevil 158 (again another bronze book?)

I have to disagree with MM#15 ALready there are over 40 9.8's on the CGC census and I think there will be more to come, plus it isn't even selling as high as it used to! I think MM #23 & 24 would be the real investments right there. Also SPIDER-MAN #1 Platinum variant cover, Caliber Presents #1 (first app of the CROW) :headbang: Swamp thing #21 I could not agree more with. It has a great cover plus wonderful art & story.

I pretty much specialize in selling Copper/Moderns, as these are the issues I grew up reading and enjoying as a kid :D . And though I pretty much have every key from 1980-2000, I would say the first ten(all variants, error issues and ashcans aside) i would grab would be:

(in no particular order)

Albedo 2

TMNT 1

X-Men 266

Crow 1

Milk and Cheese 1

ASM 238

ASM 300

Cry for Dawn 1

Caliber Presents 1

Primer 2

7 of these 10 books are indys with very low print runs( i would dare to say 10k or less), while the Xmen/Spidey books have MAJOR character intros that have stood the test of time when it comes to holding popularity, demand and overall $ value.

Anyhow, thats my $.02 :grin:

Probably the most underrated copper book out there...

Megaton #3: a very underrated early Copper Age book with a fantastic cover and the first appearance of a very key Image character. Featuring the first full appearance of the Savage Dragon with very early Eric Larson art as well as the first Angel Medina art. Savage Dragon is one of only two original Image comics still running today, the other being Todd McFarlane's Spawn. He's been featured in his own cartoon series on the USA Network and is over issue #150 already. VERY underrated book...just my 2-cents

3607818059_72975b1476.jpg

Megaton #3: a very underrated early Copper Age book with a fantastic cover and the first appearance of a very key Image character. Featuring the first full appearance of the Savage Dragon with very early Eric Larson art as well as the first Angel Medina art. Savage Dragon is one of only two original Image comics still running today, the other being Todd McFarlane's Spawn. He's been featured in his own cartoon series on the USA Network and is over issue #150 already. VERY underrated book...just my 2-cents

C'mon... I like Savage Dragon... but he's green and he's strong. Image's Hulk character... same as Pitt.

(thumbs u

Nothing.

Yeah, that's what I said, nothing.

The key books of this age have already been wayyyyyy potentialized to be any sort of decently performing investment, and everything else is wildly, wildly unsupported by any market which may exist at this time.

And forget CGC 9.8s, 9.9s, and 10s

9.8s are being handed out like candy on Halloween by a kindly old lady, while 9.9s and 10s are jealously guarded as "see? We don't overgrade here at CGC!" examples.

I know, because I've been the recipient of both. "But doesn't that even things out?" you may ask. To which I reply "NO. I want 9.9s to BE 9.9s, and I want bogus 9.8s to not be in 9.8 cases, which dilutes the value of the legitimate 9.8s (obviously.) The quickest way to throw away your money? Buy a CGC 9.8 of anything published after 1975.

And no one can "collect" runs of 9.9s and 10s. It's simply not possible. For anything. They are fluke books, meant as centerpieces or conversation pieces, but nothing more. One can no more collect a run of John Byrne X-Men in 9.9 than fly to the moon under one's own power.

One need look no further than the stats to see this is true, but that's another conversation.

What anyone interested in Copper SHOULD do is, just like in any other investment field, learn, learn, learn. In this case, learn what the keys and semi-keys are for EVERYTHING, learn what is potenitally difficult in high grade, and above all, learn how to grade extremely high grade books....

THEN...go out and buy the books...raw....that everyone is ignoring. Go buy keys and semi-keys of key Marvel DC characters in "NM/M" condition for next to nothing. Go buy runs of books that were well received, and well respected, but ignored now. Just make sure that it's very, very high grade, or you're wasting your time as far as investing goes. Learn what Independents have stood the test of time. Obviously, Turtles #1 isn't a great investment anymore. It was in the 90's. Now, not so much.

But who is to say Turtles #3 isn't? Or the Raphael one shot? Or Pacific Groo? Or Dark Horse Presents key issus? Or Albedo #4?

Or Amazing Spiderman #301-317, so long as they're $2-$3 each? Or McFarlane Hulks? or Jim Lee Alpha Flights? or Batman #366, 368, 400, 404-407, etc....?

See where I'm going with this?

You see what Dark Knight Returns sells for these days? You can damn near buy a full run for cover price when you're lucky. Now, granted, DKR is not a "rare" book. But all it would take is a little interest...just a little....to turn that $5 #2 book into $35. It is, after all, one of the most hailed books of the 1980's.

It's much, much easier to turn a $1 book into $10 than it is a $1000 book into $10,000.

Yes, it's work. Yes, it's a lot of work. Just like every other investment field worth getting into.

The best stock investors are intimately familiar with the ins and outs of the companies they invest in, to the point that they research their health and strength every single day.

So, too, should you be with comics, if you want to invest in the Copper age.

If you don't want to waste time, go buy CGC 9.4+ early Silver Age keys, and watch your 5-7% annual return on your investment...if you're lucky. And there's nothing wrong with this, so long as you understand that you're investing in Microsoft stock in 2009..good, solid return, well protected asset, but nothing special.

Otherwise...Copper is chock full of mystery, and well, well, well worth diving into...if you think you can handle it.

Good luck!