• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten bronze keys if we started a portfolio?

65 posts in this topic

TOD #1

ASW#10

Luke Cage Hero For Hire #1

HOS 92

ASM 121,122, AND 129

DC Super Spectacular #5

Giant Size X men #1

Hulk 180

This is a sweet list. Although I love the DCSS #5, I do not think the market is particularly large for that book. That may provide more of volatility than you would want in this hypothetical portfolio. I would swap that book out for XM 94. Good work BZ.

Look for books that are susceptible to movie exposure, and other media influence. Mix liberally with the blue chip type of books listed above.

Astonishing Tales 25 - would Deathlok make a better movie character that comic character?

MS 5, WWBN 32 - do these books have any potential for media exposure? GR may be one-and-done after the first movie, and WWBN is already at lofty values.

ASM 121, 122, 129 - blue chip.

Hulk 181, GSX 1, X-Men 94 - also blue chip.

ASW 10 - if the upcoming movie is good, will there be sequel(s)? If no, the book's big rise is occurring now.

Hulk 180 - if sentiment shifts toward the importance of this book, and Wolverine's full page book end appearance.

Luke Cage 1 - maybe. Black cover. ?movie potential.

Simple question, where is Conan 1 right now in terms of historical value? Is it much lower than it once was or about the same as it's always been. Does it have the potential to ever be an extremely valuable book or are there just too many copies out there?

You Know, Conan #1 needs to be on that list, I will take off the DCSS #5 and add it. So glad you brought that up!

Very important book in that it Marks the Start of the Bronze age plus it jump started the Barbarians popularity and began the Whole Sword and Sorcery Genre in Comics. Groundbreaking to be sure and definitly should be on this list!!

Simple question, where is Conan 1 right now in terms of historical value? Is it much lower than it once was or about the same as it's always been. Does it have the potential to ever be an extremely valuable book or are there just too many copies out there?

I certainly couldn't argue with Conan 1 being in there. I would probably take out AW 10 to do it, which I wouldn't like.

TOD10

HOS92

GSXM1

XM94

Hulk 181

ASM 121 122

ASW10 (not for me though, but i appreciate its importance)

Conan 1

HforH 1

More Marvel bias from me just like like in the Silver list.

TOD 10 seems like a solid pick as well, but I would be concerned that it has capped out. It is a great book and should always have strong value, but it will never be as hot as it was 4 or 5 years ago playing off the movies.

TOD10

HOS92

GSXM1

XM94

Hulk 181

ASM 121 122

ASW10 (not for me though, but i appreciate its importance)

Conan 1

HforH 1

More Marvel bias from me just like like in the Silver list.

TOD 10 seems like a solid pick as well, but I would be concerned that it has capped out. It is a great book and should always have strong value, but it will never be as hot as it was 4 or 5 years ago playing off the movies.

Yeah completely agree. It's a fine line for me between that and XM 137 (which might be classed as Copper anyway). Neil

TOD #1

ASW#10

HOS 92

ASM 121,122, AND 129

DC Super Spectacular #5

Giant Size X men #1

Hulk 180

Luke Cage, really? what is the appeal of this book, other than a black cover and why moreso than Marvel Spotlight #5 - black cover and more popular/desirable character (and movie!)

I don't see Cerebus #1 on the list, and it should definately be there. And so should the 35 cent variants of Star Wars #1 and Iron Fist #14. :whatev:

TOD #1

ASW#10

HOS 92

ASM 121,122, AND 129

DC Super Spectacular #5

Giant Size X men #1

Hulk 180

Luke Cage, really? what is the appeal of this book, other than a black cover and why moreso than Marvel Spotlight #5 - black cover and more popular/desirable character (and movie!)

I don't see Cerebus #1 on the list, and it should definately be there. And so should the 35 cent variants of Star Wars #1 and Iron Fist #14. :whatev:

Marvel Spotlight has swooned since the suckfest that was the Ghost Rider movie. Not saying it is not a great book, it is. But my criteria for this list focuses on possible appreciation and also holding value if you buy a high grade copy.

With Luke Cage, you have a tough black cover #1 that is also the 1st mainstream African-American superhero. To me that has a large potential upside. Also, the movie hasn't hit yet, so it has movie run-up as well.

And I disagree with you on Cerebus #1, another book I love. Prices have really softened on this book and it has a much more limited audience of people that want it, leading to the possibility of more volatility, something I would want to avoid if i were ever inclined to really invest in comics.

Finally, the 35 cent copies are interesting. They hold an extremely high value now, that is undisputed. I would avoid them because I would be worried about there being a verrrry limited market for them and again the volatility. But if you were trying to hit home runs and didn't mind striking out a couple of times, they could be a good fit!

TOD #1

ASW#10

HOS 92

ASM 121,122, AND 129

DC Super Spectacular #5

Giant Size X men #1

Hulk 180

I'm guessing that by excluding GL 76 & Hulk 181 you're saying they are fully valued, and hence not a good investment?