• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten modern keys if we started a portfolio?

115 posts in this topic

I think I could name 2 for sure:

Walking Dead #1

Fables #1

8 other books I think that could be in the list from 1995 onwards:

Sandman #75 - last issue of Sandman

Captain America #1/Iron Man #1 (and/or) Invincible Iron Man #1/New Avengers #1/Thor #1 - depending on the movies and the Marvel Entertainment Franchise moving into the future with trilogies and multi-picture deals and these issues represent a sort of beginning of new Modern Marvel with those characters and their properties.

If there's going to be Avengers movies in the future, I suspect that a Civil War movie would be inevitable and I would include Civil War #1. Upon its release it received alot of attention in the media for its story. The movie I feel cannot include the same characters on the same sides of Pro-Reg and Anti-Reg and would even be better for it. Imagine a Civil War movie with Spider-Man and Wolverine + the X-Men being anti-registration with the Avengers being Pro.

I realize that I haven't mentioned too many DC titles. I'll go out there and nominate the latest Green Lantern #1 or Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 by Geoff Johns as being books to invest in. He's done and is continuing to do amazing things with the Green Lantern mythos and if/when a movie gets made with Johns' input, it should be amazing.

I'm not sure there'd be any Marvel or DC books on that list. I'm not being snarky, just thinking that for Moderns and investment, you need low print run, solid story/art, and a fan base that didn't necessarily sign on immediately (in other words, books that started getting hot after the book had been out for awhile).

I agree with votes so far. If Y The Last Man were still being published I'd say that was a for sure entrant, but now, I'd only say so if the movie takes off.

Chew #1 could be another, but my guess is that the book will cool significantly, especially if it only goes for 50 issues or whatever. In ten years, will anyone remember Chew? I hope so, but it's not like a Walking Dead that's still going strong.

I'm not sure there'd be any Marvel or DC books on that list. I'm not being snarky, just thinking that for Moderns and investment, you need low print run, solid story/art, and a fan base that didn't necessarily sign on immediately (in other words, books that started getting hot after the book had been out for awhile).

+1

But I am known to be snarky.

To add to what has already been listed, and for investment purposes only...

Preacher #1 - New people keep picking up on this series and I can see it appreciating more over the years, especially with a movie/series in the pipeline.

Batman #608 - Always will be an in demand book. 9.8s continually fetch over $1,000.

Ultimate Spidey #1 White Variant - Still seems to turn top dollar.

If you can pick 10 moderns from 1995 and up to invest in, what would they be and why?Please give this some good thought as I am going to ask the mods for this to be a sticky. :wishluck: this is for investment purposes only.not a great read.

:)

Depending on how long of an investment and the budget I would buy the following 10 in no particular order.

NYX #3 Holds steady right now at about $150 and is a 1st appearance with a low print run. In the event that a movie ever comes out down the road then could it have Hulk 181 (1st Wolverine) potential? Hard to pass up.

Wolverine origins 10 1:100 variant. Not to start a trend but will Wolvie's son ever be a popular character? Over the last few years the 1:100 may have dipped a little but the regular editions have gone up. How long for a new character to get fans?

Chew #1...yes that's right I said it. Brand new title, lots of hype....could be a great investment or suck wind. Personally I like the read so it hopefully sticks. Walking Dead potential with a lower sticker price.

Walking Dead #1 I have to include it given the following. I haven't read much of it but the prices are steady and movie rumours are rampant. Very likely a short term high growth investment. A little pricier then my other suggestions.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Side note: On the civil war front - if you decide to go that route I would pick up #10 (Maybe it's #8 - sure someone can help). I believe it's the 1st appearance of (I forget his name) that Speedball becomes. I think his character will translate well to the screen or with future fans.[/font]

Messiah Complex #1 - ok - definitely an X-men fan I admit it. It is a 1st appearance that can be bought really cheap. Who knows what the character will become (only a baby right now)? Could be the next Phoenix? Gambit? Cable? and while you're at it X-Factor #26 which is the 1st new X-Force. I group them together since they are relatively cheap to buy now.

Invincible #1 Not overly familiar but good following and it's been holding steady in price. I believe a movie coming. Seems I only read Marvel and Image.

New Mutants 87 and 98 1st Cable. These may fall before 95 I can't recall but 1sts that stay strong in price. #98 is a little too pricey right now so be picky.

Preacher #1 - Movie potential

Ultimate Spider-man #1 If they keep the run going there is potential here. A #1 Spider-man and there is a variant. Even to look at Spider-man runs that ended the #1 always sells.

Spider-man V2 #36 I have to think 9/11 will never be forgotten. Tough black cover to grade.

Goon #1 Avatar 1999 - A more expensive recommendation but will likely increase in value. Large following and movie coming. Not the 1st appearance but 1st Goon title I believe. There is a Goon from Alabtross in 2002 and Dark Horse in 2003 that should be considered.

Well my X-men biased showed through but as Wolverine saids "I'm the best at what I do"

Good luck on the investment.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Side note: On the civil war front - if you decide to go that route I would pick up #10 (Maybe it's #8 - sure someone can help). I believe it's the 1st appearance of (I forget his name) that Speedball becomes. I think his character will translate well to the screen or with future fans.[/font]

1st appearance of Penance...I believe he is in Thunderbolts and is on the Ultimate Alliance 2 game...

+1

But I am known to be snarky.

Couldn't agree more - unless a book has a 4000 print run or less, it doesn't belong on this list.

:acclaim: Hiyo!

Hmm... Top 10 to invest in, interesting.

DC:

Justice League of America (Great story-arcs and array of variants)

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder (Frank & Jim variants!)

Superman/Batman (Variants and story-arc alone)

Green Lantern (Re-take of the origins)

Green Lantern Corps

(Love for the beginning is rocky, but the wait for Sinestro Corps War is worth it)

Jonah Hex (Low print run, strong story-arcs & art... high grade condition would fetch a nice price)

Dynamite Entertainment:

Project Superpowers, Chapter One... or... Red Sonja

(Both have a wide array of variants with strong story & art with acclaim writers)

Marvel:

Captain America (Ed Brubaker new vision + awesome content & cover art = Gold)

Stephen King, Dark Tower (Story-arc + art + high grade condition = priceless)

(Not too sure on this publisher... might need help):

Astro City (Low print run (or at least not many ordered it), story-arc, content & cover art is amazing)

Variants as investments = :screwy:

Here's a brief list (much of which has already been suggested):

Goon vol.1 #1

Goon vol.2 #1

Walking Dead #1

Preacher #1

Invincible #1

Fables #1, #6 (RRP)

Y: The Last Man #1

Underdogs, but possibilities:

Transmetropolitan #1

Proof #1

Chew #1

The Boys #1

Hiyo!

Great lists in this thread. No variants from me as I don't really pay attention to them.

Invincible 1 - This is how super heroes should be done. #1 has consistently been selling for well over $50 for several years now. No easy task for a modern.

Walking Dead 1, 2 - Both of these books have done nothing but go up since they came out.

Ultimate Spider-Man 1 - The first of the Ultimate line. Still sells well.

Goon V1 1 & Goon V2 1 This book isn't for me, but to overlook that it's an investment book would be ignorant of me.

Y the Last Man 1 - Still sells well and will continue to due to the popularity of the trades.

Noble Causes Family Secrets 3 - Wanted cover poster. Invincible cameo.

Daredevil 1 - This is a longer shot as an investment, but the whole run will be a classic in the future. It's rare that a super hero book remains spectactular for well over 100 issues.

Fables 1 - If Preacher 1 is from 95 or later, put Preacher 1 instead.

Remains to be seen, but I believe in these:

Proof 1 This is the best book that you aren't reading. If Grecian and Rossmo can keep this going and the animated is done, this book could have legs. I love this book. AND it's on time every single month!!

Chew 1 - New, but VERY promising

Scalped 1 - The second best book that you aren't reading.

Walking Dead #1 and 2

Invincible #1

Goon #1

Preacher #1

30 Days of Night #1

Wizard of Oz #1

Tarot #1

ASM #36

Superman #75 -- not sure if I missed the date range on this issue

Stuff of Legend #1 --- this issue will be hard to find in 9.8;s due to oversize

Why Fables #8?

Also, here's a pretty good starter list. Wizard did a "20 Most Valuable Modern Comics (Non-Variant)"

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/051508collecting.html

I still maintain that #12 (30 Days of Night #1) should be replaced by the Spiral Bound Preview #1 since it did come first, is not a variant, and should be placed at #3 after the Comixpress Mouse guard #1 and Black Venom.

Also, don't forget about Grimm Fairy Tales #1

Why Fables #8?

Also, here's a pretty good starter list. Wizard did a "20 Most Valuable Modern Comics (Non-Variant)"

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/051508collecting.html

I wondered this myself.

I wondered if it was supposed to be Sandman 8.

1st appearance of somebody? #6 was the 1st in the new story arc.

Pat