• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten modern keys if we started a portfolio?

115 posts in this topic

Walk into a local store and pick one that looks promising? Even better, order copies out of Previews two months in advance? Oooo...recipe for disaster there.

Works for me. Of course that may go back to the research.

Come on then, what should I buy in November? :popcorn:

lol

(thumbs u

Thank God for smart people....

:acclaim:

When someone says "I've made more money speculating on new comics than I've lost", that's when I know they're the luckiest person alive, or fulla baloney.

The very reason the most valuable moderns are what they are is because no one knew about them prior to publication.

Otherwise, they would have ordered a million of 'em, thus ensuring that they'd never be worth anything.

It's a neat little Catch-22.

In a time when I could have ORDERED 100 or 1,000 copies of Harby #1...I was, after all, buying new comics religiously, and buying many multiples...I instead chose to buy Deathlok #1 and Silver Sable #1.

Just like everyone else was doing....

Now, there may be STORES who order hundreds of copies of everything, and then, on the first day of sale, notice it's flying off the shelves...at which point they can hold back the rest of their stock to "wait and see"...but most individuals do not own stores, and most stores do not order hundreds of copies of any one title.

And for every Ultimate Spiderman #1, there are hundreds and thousands of comics that are "worthless."

Alot of research.

lol

Where does one start?

What....EXACTLY...research does one do to determine which books are "hot" PRIOR to the rest of the market knowing?

I don't need to know before the rest of the market. I just need to know before most of the market. I can see now what you meant about the internet. For me it makes it easier to see something becoming hot. Your point is everybody else sees it too. Point taken. I guess the thrill of running the race is just...fun. For as warm or hot as a comic gets those at the front of the line usually make some $$. I would imagine most on here have tried that.

Walk into a local store and pick one that looks promising? Even better, order copies out of Previews two months in advance? Oooo...recipe for disaster there.

Then you will fail. Only one out of every 2,000-3,000 or so comics published becomes "hot."

Tell me, in this month's Previews, which book is the next big thing.

We'll visit this thread in 6 months, and see how accurate you were.

December's previews?

Buy a book "on its way up"? How does one know where "up" is? What if one buys at the peak?

It's on its way up if it increases in value and has hit its short term peak if its declining.

lol

You answered a question that wasn't even asked!

And how is one supposed to know where this is PRIOR to these actions?

I treat it like looking at stocks. I just keep an eye on trends.

Find books that are selling for $$$ at cover price? How does one do this, especially in the internet age? Where does one find an NYX #3 for $2.95? $5? $10?

The internet age has helped me to identify potential. I'm confused how it hinders you.

I'm quite certain you're confused by a great many things, but pay attention, I'll type this slowly so you can understand it: back in the olden days, it was possible to "scoop up" hot books because information was slower to disseminate, and anyone with inside information could easily act upon this information BEFORE it was made general knowledge.

Now, in the era of the internet, when such information is distributed at the speed of light...or, at least, highspeed DSL...this is no longer possible.

Point taken as I said. I look at the internet as a tool for me as opposed to the increased competition. My little not so LCS in Belgium never would have sent me some Chews if not for the web.

And how can anyone possibly INVEST in something in which there is a finite, not easily acquired supply?

You might want to say this to yourself out loud.

Start here

FYI - the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value - - oil? gold? Maybe you just single handedly explained the stock market crash (worship)

I guess you don't really understand what "not easily acquired" means....

Doesn't that help to make it an investment?

What you're suggesting is not investment, but speculation.

Risky, risky game, with very few benefits.

Risk vs Reward - are you goating me into yet another debate?? :slapfight:

goat.jpg

I've never goated anyone into anything. But don't flatter yourself (again)...as everyone will tell you, I will happily debate anyone until the cows come home.

It's "my thing."

And mathematical probability is my "thing". Debates so long as they keep my interest.

goated is actually GOADED - got it - learn something new everyday. The written word is definitely not my thing.

I find it hard to believe that anyone on this board does not have the ability to make some $$ on moderns and new releases. Everyone posting in this thread has alot more knowledge then the average comic buyer and there is the key. I would guess it comes down to how much time you are willing to spend on it.

Chew as an example

I was lucky enough to order 3 copies in previews (yes-lucky) and it seems I ordered more than most stores. I saw posts on here identifying how hot it was getting starting the day after it was released. I was still buying copies for cover for the next week. The internet helped me do that. I find it hard to believe that nobody here was also able to make some $$. Granted Chew is an extreme example.

Maybe I am just lucky. Anything's possible. I have been making $$ on new releases starting with ordering in previews for a few years now. It just takes alot of time. The only "trick" I can think to my order pattern is I only buy titles I am interested in reading. I don't buy just to speculate. I am slowly changing to more BA and SA as I find it takes less time.

Every single hot new comic in between, no matter how hot, crashed, and usually crashed hard. Shazam #1? Ha. Howard the Duck #1, New Teen Titans #1, X-Men #137. Turtles #1. Fish Police #1. Nick Fury vs. Shield #1. Green Arrow Longbow Hunters #1. Killing Joke. Batman #428. New Mutants #87. Harbinger #1. Superman #75. Gen 13 #1. Lady Death #1. Vengeance of Vampirella #1. JLA #1. Thunderbolts #1. Rising Stars #1.

The list is endless....

How much of a crash did Turtles have?

I don't think that you can compare USM 1 and TWD. Yeah, TWD is bound to crash at some point in time, but I'd anticipate less of a crash because of the low print run.

Isn't it goaded, not goated? hm

Speculating in comics is crazy. Buy what you read and if it works out that one of your books is worth 10 times cover, then good for you.

(thumbs u

I just buy extra copies.

:gossip: Ultimate Spiderman #1 was depreciating before the title was rebooted.

The renumbering had something to do with it, but mainly, I believe the depreciation of the book can be attributed to a lack of interest brought on by the title becoming a bit stale and monotonous. If you see a hot book start to get dull, it's probably a good time to sell and then pick them up again down the line for a fraction.

Come on then, what should I buy in November? :popcorn:

Chew #3 4th printing :idea:

Isn't it goaded, not goated? hm

Speculating in comics is crazy. Buy what you read and if it works out that one of your books is worth 10 times cover, then good for you.

I agree wholeheartedly...if what you like to read ends up being worth something, I consider that a bonus.

Every single hot new comic in between, no matter how hot, crashed, and usually crashed hard. Shazam #1? Ha. Howard the Duck #1, New Teen Titans #1, X-Men #137. Turtles #1. Fish Police #1. Nick Fury vs. Shield #1. Green Arrow Longbow Hunters #1. Killing Joke. Batman #428. New Mutants #87. Harbinger #1. Superman #75. Gen 13 #1. Lady Death #1. Vengeance of Vampirella #1. JLA #1. Thunderbolts #1. Rising Stars #1.

The list is endless....

How much of a crash did Turtles have?

Turtles crashed pretty hard when the Black & White explosion crashed in about 1987. People were paying $200-$300 for copies at the height of the craze (which is pretty amazing considering this was 1985-1986), and after the crash, the book cooled off tremendously, to the $50 range...if one was for sale. Of course, since it was the book that STARTED the craze, and E&L kept publishing, it didn't do like Fish Police #1 (which was $30+ and became a quarter book.)

Then, because of the 1990 movie, interest was renewed, and the book held well for a while...around the $150 range. But, by the mid 90's, everyone had once again forgotten the Turtles, and that's how I was able to obtain, in 1999, a NM copy of #1 for $66 shipped on eBay, which is about what they were selling for in that time period.

I don't think that you can compare USM 1 and TWD. Yeah, TWD is bound to crash at some point in time, but I'd anticipate less of a crash because of the low print run.

Sure you can.

US #1 had a print run of 88,000 or so copies. That's the lowest printed #1 Spiderman regular series in history up to that point. Spideman is one of the most recognized and popular superheroes on the planet. So a print run that small for one of the most popular superheroes of all is roughly equivalent to the print run of a B&W Image book about zombies.

By the by...I'm not suggesting EITHER book is going to "crash." I don't think you will ever see either book at $5 as the going rate, just like you didn't see Turtles #1 do that, either. But investing? Not so much. The books will continue to travel on a slow, downward trend until something changes...either a "movie" will happen, or the books will become part of nostalgia (don't look for that happening for another 20 years or so, though. ;) )

:gossip: Ultimate Spiderman #1 was depreciating before the title was rebooted.

The renumbering had something to do with it, but mainly, I believe the depreciation of the book can be attributed to a lack of interest brought on by the title becoming a bit stale and monotonous. If you see a hot book start to get dull, it's probably a good time to sell and then pick them up again down the line for a fraction.

Definitely true.

For whatever reason, the community en masse moved on. It happens to everything.

There's not a single "hot" comic from about 1960-up that has ever sustained it's "hot" value, much less grown in value, over all the intervening years...even Silver Age Marvels slumped in the early 80's. That's why I try and tell people "don't spend $20 for Civil War #1, it's not going to be worth that much in 6 months."

:shrug: