• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've Wasted At Least 7 People's Time - Woo Hoo!

Would US boardies pay for deals in Sterling?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Would US boardies pay for deals in Sterling?

77 posts in this topic

This thread may have more bearing to the Sales thread, maybe not, but I've put it here to gain maximum exposure as I'd like the maximum ampiunt of opinions. (thumbs u

I've sold a fair few books to boardies this year - all smooth transactions and thank you very much to all who've bought from me (worship)

But every time I sell a book I price in $, and my Paypal account is in £, so every time I make a sale I lose around 5% of the price in conversion fees. My question would be would boardies from the States be happy to pay in £ if the fee was converted accurately? This would effectively save me losing money on every sale.

It's partly my own fault as the first time I received a payment in $, Paypal asked me if I would like to set up an account for US currency, but I didn't fancy setting up yet another PP account.

So this is the way I saw around it. It doesn't cost the buyer anything, I pay in $ from my UK currency account all the time, it just takes the relevant amount in Sterling. There are many online currency converters out there that could be used to agree a converted price, and obviously deals would only be done once both parties are happy.

So any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated on this, and if the concesus is a big fat no then I'll continue to accept payments in $ quite happily. I've thrown a poll in for posterity's sake.

Thanks in advance (thumbs u

I won't sell over seas. I've had far too many incidents with people either taking too long to pay or then paying and claiming they didn't get their product.

I'm talking about me selling books to boardies in the States, not the other way around. And I've sent numerous packages around the world with no problems (shrug)

rantrant What are you Brits and Canadians doing buying our American comic books anyway!!! Go collect Beano or Tintin or whatever it is you guys produce. :baiting:

Are any comics actually made in Canada? Or do all Canadian entertainers just go to America to create art? (shrug)

I do have my prices in sterling on my site, which has led to a fair amount of enquiries about this over the years.

However if I'm selling on the board, in order to expedite matters, I always list the price in $, with shipping nearly always included. It just saves time, and keeps things simple. And although I accept CCs for these transactions, as yet all purchases have been via Paypal.

rantrant What are you Brits and Canadians doing buying our American comic books anyway!!! Go collect Beano or Tintin or whatever it is you guys produce. :baiting:

Are any comics actually made in Canada? Or do all Canadian entertainers just go to America to create art? (shrug)

Martinshorthatter.jpg

Obviously casting for the next Batman movie should have a look at this!

I do have my prices in sterling on my site, which has led to a fair amount of enquiries about this over the years.

However if I'm selling on the board, in order to expedite matters, I always list the price in $, with shipping nearly always included. It just saves time, and keeps things simple. And although I accept CCs for these transactions, as yet all purchases have been via Paypal.

We had prices in sterling on our site when it was up and running, and funnily enough every sale was from abroad.

If I list on here though I always list in dollars as it's easy for people to check against GPA. I just bend over and take it on the conversion rate meh

Very interesting question as if the $US continues to slide I will change over to dealing only in $ Canadian.

This is something I have been thinking about for over a year now.

I won't sell over seas. I've had far too many incidents with people either taking too long to pay or then paying and claiming they didn't get their product.

I'm talking about me selling books to boardies in the States, not the other way around. And I've sent numerous packages around the world with no problems (shrug)

Hmm....so you want me to convert my dollars into some crazy whack Anglo counting system where I don't know the difference between a sterling, a schilling, a crown, a quid, or a norfolk and then send it over to someone in Britainia? Not happening, I buy American only, especially after we had to bail your arses out in the WWII.

Ten Hut!

PS. I'm still waiting for my thank you letter from the Queen.

PSS. Yeah for you...I'd convert, but only because you have a good rep here. Random overseas seller, then they're not getting my business.

Hmm....so you want me to convert my dollars into some crazy whack Anglo counting system where I don't know the difference between a sterling, a schilling, a crown, a quid, or a norfolk and then send it over to someone in Britainia?

Judging by the direction the $US is heading you may not have a choice soon.

:makepoint:

And I've sent numerous packages around the world with no problems (shrug)

Did they get back to you undamaged?

Also, did it take less than 80 days?

meh

My books generally arrive from F_T in less than one week.

(thumbs u

Very interesting question as if the $US continues to slide I will change over to dealing only in $ Canadian.

Basically my method wouldn't affect the amount of USD paid out by buyers, I would just receive the relevant amount in GBP without taking the hit. If I priced a book at $250 shipped, the buyer would still only pay $250.

The conversion fees really are killing me at the moment, and I refuse to mark books up to cover the cost.

Hmm....so you want me to convert my dollars into some crazy whack Anglo counting system where I don't know the difference between a sterling, a schilling, a crown, a quid, or a norfolk and then send it over to someone in Britainia? Not happening, I buy American only, especially after we had to bail your arses out in the WWII.

Ten Hut!

PS. I'm still waiting for my thank you letter from the Queen.

PSS. Yeah for you...I'd convert, but only because you have a good rep here. Random overseas seller, then they're not getting my business.

Is there supposed to be a graemlin inserted in this post somewhere?

Like :D

Or :insane:

Or :/

Basically my method wouldn't affect the amount of USD paid out by buyers, I would just receive the relevant amount in GBP without taking the hit. If I priced a book at $250 shipped, the buyer would still only pay $250.

The conversion fees really are killing me at the moment, and I refuse to mark books up to cover the cost.

It would, I'm afraid. :(