• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, etc. actor-dependent?

73 posts in this topic

Brandon Roth as Superman was not entirely his fault. That dude is actually a pretty entertaining actor in the right role (see Zack and Miri), but Superman was not a role that he should've been burdened with, however short of Ben Affleck I can't think of a single person who I think could've pulled off Superman adequately.

Morgan Freeman.

Better yet,

The 1980s Arnie.

Ray Park would have done well. I'm a big fan of everything he's ever done...he was great in Sleepy Hollow doing the Headless Horseman's swordwork and stunts, and he saved The Phantom Menace from being complete drek by making Darth Maul the baddest villain in all of Star Wars. :cloud9:

My ideal Wolverine would have been Sonny Landham, although he's too old at this point. He always had this insane look about him that reminded me of Wolverine's berserker qualities, and he had a good look for him as well. He played the Native American soldier guy in the first "Predator" movie:

billy-predator-knife-cut_1203469447.jpg

I think Tobey Maguire is OK as Peter Parker. Just OK. I think he is a good actor in the proper role, I'm just not entirely convinced that Peter Parker is the role for him.

But Kirsten Dunst was horribly miscast as Mary Jane. She's way to meek and timid to be playing that character. She doesn't have the looks, personality, or acting chops. Sorry.

In fact, it wouldn't bother me one bit if the Spider-Man franchise started over with an entirely new cast. (Except for J.K. Simmons as J.Jonah Jameson. He was perfect.)

I really do love Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man too. It would be difficult for me to imagine someone else in that role at this point.

COMPETELY agree with all of this, except the "OK" part. I really hate Tobey Maguire as Spidey. Dunst is fugly and a horrible cast for Mary Jane...

Brandon Roth as Superman was not entirely his fault. That dude is actually a pretty entertaining actor in the right role (see Zack and Miri), but Superman was not a role that he should've been burdened with, however short of Ben Affleck I can't think of a single person who I think could've pulled off Superman adequately.

Morgan Freeman.

Better yet,

The 1980s Arnie.

Ben Affleck is a great actor. 1980s Arnie is good for Darkman.

I think Superman is hard to pull off because he's a pretty dry superhero. Even his own alter ego Clark Kent is a vastly more interesting persona. But once he becomes Superman, it's almost like a robot like persona - very dry. Just goody two shoes, very little ego, humor, or charm.

The Superman I've seen with the most personality has got to be the animated version in the JLA cartoons. Those were really good. I'm glad I got a chance to watch the entire series on Cartoon Network.

Ed Norton was the better Dr. Banner. But yeah I can see the character being replaceable a lot sooner than Peter Parker.

Bill Bixby was the best, perfectly cast as Banner.

I thought we were talking movies. Bill Bixby makes the comics hard to read because I think he nailed Banner better than the comics.

And what did you guys think of the casting for sabertooth and Gambit?

Liev Schreiber did really, really well. As for Gambit...he was just OK. And they made a HUUUUUUGE casting mistake by not waiting to get Josh Holloway, the guy who plays Sawyer in Lost. He looks the part, and far better than that, he SOUNDS great with the Remy LeBeau-like Southern accent. They originally wanted him but there was a scheduling conflict. (tsk)

E_JoshHolloway_325.jpg

Gambit was too "pretty" in the movie. I expect good looking but not pretty.

Liev Schrieber's best role as far as I'm concerned. I hope they go back and CGI him into the first X-Men movie. :-)

Back in the day Wizard did a pretty good Casting Call attempt for X-Men. They suggested JCVD for Gambit. I couldn't argue with the pick but not sure how he looks now, maybe too old?