• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, etc. actor-dependent?

73 posts in this topic

No doubt much of the renewed popularity of SA comics has been due to the popularity of the movie franchises.

But how much of the movie franchises is based on the success of the actors?

Eventually, 5, 10, or maybe 15 years, these actors will have to be replaced. Can Spider-Man break box office records without Tobey Maguire? Can Wolverine work without Hugh Jackman? How about Tony Stark without Robert Downey?

I honestly think Wolverine should be played by someone else. Jackman was fine in the first two X-Men films, but after that I think he lost it.

Wolverine was never supposed to be 6 feet tall and built like a Superhero.

Hugh Jackman did a good job but it was not true to the character. Not by a long shot.

I honestly think Wolverine should be played by someone else. Jackman was fine in the first two X-Men films, but after that I think he lost it.

Hugh Jackman did a good job but it was not true to the character. Not by a long shot.

Danzig should have played him.

That's true. Now the movie-going public recognizes Wolverine as this figure, and its going to be that much harder to change his character. That is if they ever will.

danzig.jpg

The look is there for sure!

danzig.jpg

Supposedly he was going to play Wolverine in some X-Men movie that never happened. Danzig is a huge comic nerd. Also, I saw him in 2007. He fell off the stage and dislocated his shoulder.

Personally I'd have a hard time accepting someone else being cast as General Zod. I think they'll have to have a lull in Wolverine/Spidey/Iron Man movies if they're going to change actors. I'm going to miss whatever his name was as Rhodey because my brain is going to keep telling me that Don Cheadle is not Rhodey even though I love Don Cheadle as an actor.

danzig.jpg

Supposedly he was going to play Wolverine in some X-Men movie that never happened. Danzig is a huge comic nerd. Also, I saw him in 2007. He fell off the stage and dislocated his shoulder.

I recall this rumor. Stuff like that used to be all over his fan site.

danzig.jpg

He sure had the right look & build at one time BL. But I've spoken with him for the past few years at SDCC & he's had to stop lifting weights, is over 55, and has lost more hair than Tupenny himself.

Wow, I guess you had quite an effect on him.

Wolverine was originally cast as Dougray Scott, but he was busy with Mission Impossible 2 and couldn't make the schedules fit, so they later replaced him with Jackman (picture of Scott below). He's shorter than Jackman, but nowhere near the 5' 3" or so he's described as being in the comics. The height isn't integral to the character's appeal, although it does mark him as being a bit different from the comics character. From a success perspective, it almost doesn't really matter how well Jackman is actually portraying Wolverine, Jackman is so popular now that anyone else in the role would draw a slightly smaller audience. The movies won't fold just because Jackman isn't in them though.

07SCOTT_468x580.jpg

Wow, I guess you had quite an effect on him.

:roflmao:

It's all Tuppy's fault ...