• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a list of good/great comic stores state to state?

15 posts in this topic

i was thinking about this after making my post about "house of secrets." i've been to 8 stores in california that i would say are decent or better. i've been to probably 30 stores that were just "ehh."

for me, california's best include:

1. Southern California Comics in San Diego -- i think a board member owns it...i think...i went when they were at comic con and it was STILL a great store.

2. Golden Apple in Hollywood -- great overall selection, lots of events.

3. House of Secrets in Burbank -- great for cooper, bronze, and silver, and one of the few stores that SPECIALIZES in older than 1990 books.

4. Comic Odyssey in Pasadena -- my LCS. a few back issues. not a bad store by any means, but not anything to drive out of your way for.

5.Comic Celler in Monrovia/Alhambra -- one store in monrovia and one in alhambra (this one focuses more on older books) on main street. The Alhambra store is probably the better of the two to go to.

6. HiDeHo in Santa Monica -- Great back issue selection, even though a lot aren't in 9.4-9.8 range (tons though, in the vf and up range). one of the biggest back issue selections in california that i've seen.

7. Earth 2 Comics in Van Nuys -- Small store, but they have the best selection of EC books i've ever seen in a store and a few other nice silver books. they are also the only store that carries drawer boxes.

8. Comic Outpost in San Francisco on Ocean Ave. -- Small store, but it's comics ONLY. they even have a spiderman video arcade you can play for free. back issues are up stairs. Lots of toys. nothing extraordinary, but still a nice store.

Anyway, what other good/great comic stores are there? not just in california. post up the names, cities, and reason each store is good or great. any state.

Don't forget that one right next to PCC for modern/manga fans-- very nice.

Also, you still need to check out brave new world in newhall. I haven't been there for a few years, but it's a very nice experience and last time I went they were building a room for silver/golden collections. They are the most community oriented comic shop I've ever seen (have all kinds of local family events).

O, and Roger's Time Machine in NYC is a great store: totally relaxed atmosphere; a small section of new releases but almost all back issues (a few GAs, tons of SA & BA/CA); lots of old magazines; the owner's a great guy who prices to sell and loves to chat about comics, golf, or horse racing.

Don't forget that one right next to PCC for modern/manga fans-- very nice.

Also, you still need to check out brave new world in newhall. I haven't been there for a few years, but it's a very nice experience and last time I went they were building a room for silver/golden collections. They are the most community oriented comic shop I've ever seen (have all kinds of local family events).

i'll have to check them out. i've seen that shop on colorado, but never gone in. think i'll do that tomorrow

O, and Roger's Time Machine in NYC is a great store: totally relaxed atmosphere; a small section of new releases but almost all back issues (a few GAs, tons of SA & BA/CA); lots of old magazines; the owner's a great guy who prices to sell and loves to chat about comics, golf, or horse racing.

thank you. i plan on going to NYC within the next 6 months. i'll check it out next time i'm there.

If your in the Kansas City area I would suggest seeing Jeff at Limited Figures. Jeff's store is mostly new issues and toys but his prices are great and he less than 2 miles from Kansas City International Airport. For GA and SA I would say Clints which is located near the Plaza, a little pricey but a good selection. There are a couple of other decent stores to A to Z and B-Bop

In Tulsa, the oldest and best LCS is The Comic Empire where Mike, the original owner/operator is on duty at least five days a week. His shop has been open continuously since around 1976. An encyclopedic recall and great conversation is his trademark. While there are still some GA books to be found there, the store is now mainly SA and newer but he's always getting interesting inventory in as most cash-strapped locals turn in their inventories and the inventories of their deceased relatives to the best-known LCS in the area.

In So. Cal. you also have Mayhem on Sunset and there's Geoffrey's that should probably be added to your list. No back issues, but the Secret Headquarters seems to always get top ratings.

mayhem? i couldn't find anything on google.com. i'll have to check it out on a sunday after work.