• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar Bags / Sleeves for Marvel’s Treasury / DC Collector’s Edition books

14 posts in this topic

:hi:

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone that carries mylar 2 mil bags for these books? (shrug)

I have contacted EGerber and they do not, they referred me to Bagsunlimited. Bagsunlimited carries the backer boards and regular bags but no Mylar Sleeves. I have requested that they make a bag / sleeve for me.

Would there be anyone else interested in these bags?

:idea: Let me know and maybe I can get a bulk order going.

Bernard

I bought the poly bags and boards from hotflips. Very happy with them, though the box I ended up using to story my treasuries is a wooden crate which can't take the full height of the boards so I need to cut each one of the boards down to make them fit. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice if they were a few inches shorter - to get a sense of their height, I believe the boards I'm using were originally intended for LIFE mags.

I've seen the mylar 2 mil bags and to be honest, I really don't see that much of an appearance difference between them and the polys. If I can offer any advice, you may want to check on the boards you'll be using as the combo of poly and board I ended up with is great for standard thickness, but for some of the squarebound Marvels (Thor comes to mind), they are far to snug a fit, and I've had to make modifications to the widths of the backing boards to avoid curling.

The appearance difference between a polybag and a mylar isn't the issue... a mylar is far better for the long term storage of your books.

I emphasized appearance because your point about differences in archival stability between polypropelene and mylar is an important one. (thumbs u Though I've also noted that using backing boards can make a big difference even when handling them, as the large format often leads to mishandling that could be avoided if there is a backing board to makes them less flimsy and prone to spine damage when held.

ComicDoc, if you end up going for a mylar bag and board combo, PM me a price as I'd consider getting 25-50.

I bought the poly bags and boards from hotflips. Very happy with them, though the box I ended up using to story my treasuries is a wooden crate which can't take the full height of the boards so I need to cut each one of the boards down to make them fit. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice if they were a few inches shorter - to get a sense of their height, I believe the boards I'm using were originally intended for LIFE mags.

I've seen the mylar 2 mil bags and to be honest, I really don't see that much of an appearance difference between them and the polys. If I can offer any advice, you may want to check on the boards you'll be using as the combo of poly and board I ended up with is great for standard thickness, but for some of the squarebound Marvels (Thor comes to mind), they are far to snug a fit, and I've had to make modifications to the widths of the backing boards to avoid curling.

The appearance difference between a polybag and a mylar isn't the issue... a mylar is far better for the long term storage of your books.

I concur with Cimm it is the long term storage that is the issue. The mylite 2 mil (not the 1 mil ) will not yellow or degrade the books and are crystal clear.

Wouldn't you still need acid-free backing boards?

I'm currently using polypropylene bags with 2-3 backing boards for each Treasury comic so I'd be interested in some Mylars as well. (about 25)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I simply use Mylar and acid free boards for original art for my Treasury Editions. Works fantastic, leaves a bit of room inside the sleeve, and they also allow for a written, or stamped, remark about the book in the upper left, or right, side corner or the board (which is oversized).

Too each their own of course, but this is tops for me.

Wouldn't you still need acid-free backing boards?

Absolutely (thumbs u - and in a roundabout what, that is what I was alluding to by suggesting the boards be compatible with the size of the mylar bags.

Bags unlimited already has the acid free boards but not the mylar sleeves ??? I am not sure why.

I remember spending some time researching this and ended-up going with the poly/boards from hotflips because I was having a tough time matching things up.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but oddly enough I was thinking about hunting down some floating frames (glass on both sides) that would be perfect for the treasury format. This large format and the artwork really make for nice framing, though I didn't want to spend too much money.

I managed to find some frames that work perfectly and I picked them up for $10 a piece (2-pack for $20). They are available at Home Outfitters (not sure if these stores are found in the U.S. too). They come in black and brown and are a solid wood construction with glass panels on the front and back which means you can take them down and enjoy looking at the rear covers too. The frame make is called nuovodesign™ float frame and the measurements are 11 x 14" - 28x36cm.