• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You paid what?!! For a comic book?!!

61 posts in this topic

Had another incident with a relative the other day, where I made the mistake of telling them I spent $30 (good thing she didn't see any of my GA books) on a group of Marvel Giant size comics. I bought them at a local auction. She couldn't believe I would waste my money on stuff like that. Some of my high grade collecting friends would probably agree with them.

Anyway, what is your response to this type of reaction? Or, do you even tell anyone how much you have spent on books in your collection? Do you keep your collection hidden in order to avoid situations like this?

I only mention it to people who really know me, so they understand/see the method behind the madness. And at that, I only offer to show things that are already out. I prefer not to "dig" through my collection to show certain books

By the time you're my age, you pretty much have figured out who you

can talk about this stuff with and who is a jackazz, close relatives even.

I love my mom, but she still thinks comic books are like old newspapers

and fit only for the birdcage. But don't you dare try to pour a cup of coffee

in one of her antique Fiestaware mugs. Hey, it's a friggin' coffee cup.

Unless I am talking to another collector, I try to never mention price, value or - heaven forbid - what I paid.

The conversations seem to go like this:

"Do you still collect comics?"

"Yes."

Yeah, I made the mistake of leaving a small pile of books out on my desk and she saw them. Usually I try not to leave them out in the open when relatives visit. But I thought $30 is no big deal, so I told her. I've got books I've spent hundreds on and I know many boardies here have spent thousands on a single book.

Unless I am talking to another collector, I try to never mention price, value or - heaven forbid - what I paid.

The conversations seem to go like this:

"Do you still collect comics?"

"Yes."

:roflmao: I know just what you mean.

By the time you're my age, you pretty much have figured out who you

can talk about this stuff with and who is a jackazz, close relatives even.

I love my mom, but she still thinks comic books are like old newspapers

and fit only for the birdcage. But don't you dare try to pour a cup of coffee

in one of her antique Fiestaware mugs. Hey, it's a friggin' coffee cup.

That's funny because she collects the Autumn Leaf pattern from the Hall China company. I've actually bid on pieces for her at auctions that were way over $30. I'll have to remind her of that next time. I hadn't even thought about that.

Had another incident with a relative the other day, where I made the mistake of telling them I spent $30 (good thing she didn't see any of my GA books) on a group of Marvel Giant size comics. I bought them at a local auction. She couldn't believe I would waste my money on stuff like that. Some of my high grade collecting friends would probably agree with them.

Anyway, what is your response to this type of reaction? Or, do you even tell anyone how much you have spent on books in your collection? Do you keep your collection hidden in order to avoid situations like this?

I always tell people what I sell them for, rarely what I buy them for. There is a world of difference in their reactions.

I always tell people what I sell them for, rarely what I buy them for. There is a world of difference in their reactions.

Unless you sell them for less than you buy them for like me. doh!

Yep. (thumbs u

Yup. Don't tell family or strangers what I pay, (unless it's an airport conversation where you're never going to see the person again.)

I'm not embarassed by my hobby- I am a good missionary for sequential art. :cloud9:

But I keep what I spend close to the chest. Two friends and a wife.

Yea, if you tell them what you pay and that's it, it will seem like a waste to them because they're not used to buying things that have much liquidity, although with the Internet and sites like eBay, actually not much falls into that category anymore unless it's an item you use that dwindles or breaks down over time. If you let them know you can resell those books for around the same amount you paid for them or possibly more, it sounds less stupid to them.

I tell friends all the time what I pay. I don't keep most of it at home and I track my gains/losses, so it's easy to convince them I'm not completely flushing the money.

It depends on ther person how my response is. For the real idiotic responses to what I paid for something, I tell them my collection is worth $350k and maybe cost me $100K+. I then follow up with how much do they have saved for retirement.

I try never to mention $$ since I want those at least remotely interested to appreciate the history and maybe the art, at least the pop cultural interest of the contents. If I mention a single price, people look around and see how many frigging books I have and kinda gasp. Still, I have never had anyone tell me how stupid it is to spend $$ on a book. Maybe I am lucky and none of my friends & acquaintances are rude :cool:

Very true. I keep my wife well-informed on all of my sales. (thumbs u