• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm an *spoon*!

42 posts in this topic

I swore I'd never buy raw comics from eBay ever again. EVER!!! But recently I ignrored that little voice in my head (not the one that tells me to kill hookers, the one that tells me not to be an arsehole and buy off eBay) and I decided that if I ever want to meet my collecting goals I'd have to buy raw and slab myself. So I looked for the comics I needed from online eBay stores from sellers with 100% feedback. After a few months a couple of items meeting my criteria turn up. I sent an email confirming the books were NM+ as advertised to be told they are. Three different sellers...over 25 comics in total...arrived today...not one of them NM+. One I was particlularly looking forward to, if submitted, would come back as a 6.0 from CGC, and this was advertised as NM+. I don't think it has water damage...it has some form of fluid damage, but it's definatly not water. (Insert jokes here people!!!) So, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for breaking a promise to myself. Now, what on earth is to stop me absolutly destroying all three sellers 100% feedback with very honest, but very negative feedback. Why should I be the only person disappointed today? What would you do? rantrantrantrantrantrant

return the books???

*$60 in shipping fees you'll never see again

*lied to you from the get go about grading

*wasted your time driving to pick up the packages

*wasting your time and money to send them back

*negative feedback -= PRICELESS!!!

:devil:

unless i'm prepared to bid ~30% of guide, i won't even look at books that don't have giant scans.

of course, in my collecting specialty, i see two books a month that might come close to what i'm looking for, so your mileage may vary

unless i'm prepared to bid ~30% of guide, i won't even look at books that don't have giant scans.

of course, in my collecting specialty, i see two books a month that might come close to what i'm looking for, so your mileage may vary

What else is your bag other than Doom Patrols?

ha ha ha...here's another...just responded to a question I sent a couple of days ago asking what he would grade the comic at as he didn't put down anything in relation to the condition in the description...he responded, "Sorry, I don't speculate. Thanks." his exact response...I don't speculate!!!...in other words....I either don't know or not very high!!! eBay....ah!

Do you ask for large scans? The difference between 9.6 and 6.0 couldn't be hidden in large scans, especially with the tye defects you indicated. I suppose interior problems could be easily hidden.

I have to say though, I've had many more satisfactory experiences on eBay than unsatisfactory. I don't go for 9.6s though, I'm sure there'd be much more disappointment waiting for me if I did.

Unfortunately eBay is a shot-in-the-dark for raw books unless you find consistent sellers which are few and far between.

Raw here on the boards is always a good deal. :grin:

As to your question in regard to leaving negative feedback. I'm of the mind that unless the seller is an outright mess then it should only be left as a last resort. Perhaps that is too lenient, but I know my grading isn't 9.8 every day. Does that mean I couldn't tell the difference between a 6.0 versus 9.4+ - maybe if I was horribly drunk. hm

Did the seller(s) offer refunds in their listings? If so, I would take each one up on that and get the majority of your money back. Yes. You are out the 60.00 and time, but sadly that is the chance you take with eBay.

I would leave feedback along these lines: (positive, mind you)

Seller accepted refund - needs some hard lessons in grading comics (or something along those lines). :)

What else is your bag other than Doom Patrols?

i wasn't aware i had a bag. i suppose "whatever the mood strikes me" shall serve sufficient?

For me it depends upon the degree of screwing.

If it's still worth what I paid, I'll give positive, note the over-grading in the feedback, and hurt their DSR.

If it's not, and you didn't spend enough for it to be worth the hassle of sending it back and trying to get your money out of them, neg away.

Personally, I've found guys with e-bay stores to be some of the worst offenders when it comes to over-grading. The boards have definitely helped steer me in the right direction.

I've had some of my best buys from guys with low feedback and no store, but you have to be very careful if you go this route.

recently I ignrored that little voice in my head (not the one that tells me to kill hookers)

Never ignore that voice. Terrible things happen when you ignore that voice. I ignored that voice once, and Kiefer Sutherland came in the night and stole my appendix. :insane:

I swore I'd never buy raw comics from eBay ever again. EVER!!! But recently I ignrored that little voice in my head (not the one that tells me to kill hookers, the one that tells me not to be an arsehole and buy off eBay) and I decided that if I ever want to meet my collecting goals I'd have to buy raw and slab myself. So I looked for the comics I needed from online eBay stores from sellers with 100% feedback. After a few months a couple of items meeting my criteria turn up. I sent an email confirming the books were NM+ as advertised to be told they are. Three different sellers...over 25 comics in total...arrived today...not one of them NM+. One I was particlularly looking forward to, if submitted, would come back as a 6.0 from CGC, and this was advertised as NM+. I don't think it has water damage...it has some form of fluid damage, but it's definatly not water. (Insert jokes here people!!!) So, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for breaking a promise to myself. Now, what on earth is to stop me absolutly destroying all three sellers 100% feedback with very honest, but very negative feedback. Why should I be the only person disappointed today? What would you do? rantrantrantrantrantrant

Wow from a NM+ to an estimated 6.0 grade.. such a huge difference. Was the dmg inside the book or not part of the scan... was there scans?

Out them - name names.

Return them and get a refund

Simple solution IMO

+1

Also, only buy from sellers that host their own large scans. I have learned the hard way that ebay's picture service "softens" books. It hides defects.

100% positive feedback is not a garuntee. What is their detailed seller rating? Also, read several pages of feedback comments. Any positive feedbacks that say "a little overgraded, but still nice"? That should tell you tto buy a NM+ and expect a VF/NM.

There are several great ebay sellers. But you have to look for them. And I fear that ebay is driving away the great sellers with all their poo rules and new guidelines.

I just got my yearly update from them today, and my sales were down 10K from the year before. There's a good reason for that. And I have a feeling that big sellers are the same way.