• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A paypal dispute has been opened against me

41 posts in this topic

I sold a comic through ebay back in August/09. I mailed the comic to a UK buyer on August 24 and at the time I indicated to them that delivery would be 4 to 6 weeks. No tracking.

The auction end price was $300 (below my expectations).

As a result of the dispute, my paypal balance is now showing a negative balance of about 300 dollars.

Here is the message from my buyer through paypal dispute:

Hi,

To date, I have yet to receive this item. I have had contact from the seller, and he has confirmed postage on 24/8/09, from Canada, with an estimated delivery time of between 4-6 weeks.

Given the above, and also that there have been a few sporadic postal strikes here in the UK, I'm perfectly relaxed about giving the item another week or two to turn up.

I've simply reached the time deadline whereby I have to lodge an initial 'dispute' claim, so I'm really just covering myself in case the item does actually fail to arrive with me in due course.

Stewart.

The buyer appears to be approaching this dispute in a professional manner which is nice. I have already replied to him as well expressing my desire for a smooth resolution (hopefully time cures all and it is delivered).

My question now is, as I have only been on the other end of paypal disputes, what should I be doing to protect myself?

Also, I have a negative balance in my paypal account as paypal is holding the disputed amount. Should I be fixing my paypal balance as soon as possible?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm pretty stressed by this as money is tight right now. Next week would be the sixth week so it could still arrive in the time frame that my post office indicated that it would.

Since you do not have signed delivery, the buyer will win if he says it did not arrive.

I expected as much. If I had provided confirmation/tracking the delivery costs would have been more significant and I'm sure the buyer would not have been a buyer. Sometimes you take a risk to get the sale.

At the end of the day $300 is not going to ruin my life. Just a tongue lashing from the wife...

hey eddly, dang that sucks, I've been on both sides. The only thing you can do really is if you still have the custom's number, call the post office and see if they can track it by that. That's what I did with an international buyer.

If you use your paypal account a lot, then you might want to settle that $300.00 now, because you will not be able to buy anything with paypal tacking on the $300.00. Ie; if you buy a book from a person here for $100.00, paypal will charge you th $300.00 to settle the account first, so you can send the $100.00. So it sucks both ways.

good luck.

Since you do not have signed delivery, the buyer will win if he says it did not arrive.

I expected as much. If I had provided confirmation/tracking the delivery costs would have been more significant and I'm sure the buyer would not have been a buyer. Sometimes you take a risk to get the sale.

At the end of the day $300 is not going to ruin my life. Just a tongue lashing from the wife...

:wishluck:

Thanks for the comments. As far as my paypal account goes, I rarely use it nowadays. So if I wait for the dispute to come to an end (either way it goes) that is fine? No paypal fees?

One of the reasons the buyer may not have received the book in the UK is that there is postal strike in progress there.

doh!

I don't know what game this buyer is playing. Did the buyer disclose this to you?

(I'm waiting on some music CDs I bought from someone in the U.K. That's how I know.)

Shipping from the states over $250.00 would require the package to be sent Express mail that has signed delivery. Standard Priority mail has tracking, but not signed delivery and is only for up to $250.00 with paypal's policy.

One of the reasons the buyer may not have received the book in the UK is that there is postal strike in progress there.

doh!

I don't know what game this buyer is playing. Did the buyer disclose this to you?

(I'm waiting on some music CDs I bought from someone in the U.K. That's how I know.)

Ooops.

Sorry, I didn't read far enough.

:boo:

doh!

Ooops.

Sorry, I didn't read far enough.

:boo:

The buyer does seem to be level headed as he did mention the postal strike, and he even put dispute in quotes. He may be relaxed... but I'm not. :frustrated:

I live in the UK and while there have been postal strikes, mainly in London (Yes I do live in London).

I haven't had too much of a problem receiving books, one which was mailed out around September 23 by Comix4fun was received on October 1 about average length from the states via air-mail.

So I haven’t had too much problem with the strikes some mail has been late but no more than a day or two.

Martin

$300 and no tracking (yeah, i know i'm just repeating here...)

i wouldn't do it

seriously, how much is a fedex 3 day envelope (granted, no insurance unless you want to deal with customs...)

$300 and no tracking (yeah, i know i'm just repeating here...)

i wouldn't do it

seriously, how much is a fedex 3 day envelope (granted, no insurance unless you want to deal with customs...)

More than double the shipping the buyer paid? I get the point though. If raising shipping costs means no sale, that is still better than a sale gone bad.