• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STUPID EBAY keeps messing with their site !!!!!!!

11 posts in this topic

Yes, yet another ebay rant rantrant

The brickheads that run ebay have decided that auctions using a BUY IT NOW feature must have the BUY IT NOW price be at least 10% higher than the starting price. :mad:

Yet another idiotic policy brought to you by the fine folks at ebay.

Another example of "if it ain't broke let's break it"

Obviously they want people to list more fixed price auctions and this is a way to make them do it. You can no longer run an auction and set the BUY IT NOW price the same as the starting price.

So if you previously ran an "auction" and just wanted people to hit BUY IT NOW that is not going to happen any more. Someone will throw in a bid and cancel your BUY IT NOW feature.

If the auction and BIN are the exact same why not just have a BIN and be done with it?

Of all the seemingly unending changes of late, I find no issues w/ this one personally. I feel that the BIN should be a stretch-price, isn't that the whole point of it? 2c

What is the reason for doing both w/ the same price? To simply get an "auction" listed so it's better positioned via searches, etc?

(shrug)

If the auction and BIN are the exact same why not just have a BIN and be done with it?

Because fixed price auctions (usually) do not show up in the search engine uness the buyer specifically requests that fixed price auctions be shown.

What is the reason for doing both w/ the same price? To simply get an "auction" listed so it's better positioned via searches, etc?

(shrug)

By "better positioned" do you means "show up at all" ?

Because fixed price auctions (usually) do not show up in the search engine uness the buyer specifically requests that fixed price auctions be shown.

Nope.

Store items (which are technically BIN's) do not show up in regular searches unless the buyer chooses to include store inventory in their search or there are no regular/BIN auctions (just store items) for the item they search for.

Regular BIN's - which is what this change affects - show up in searches just fine, without the user having to do anything.

There's really no good reason to list an auction with a starting price the same as the BIN - this change is a total non-issue.

It is a cost advantage for sellers to use a buy it now, verse a fixed price listing. If you started a 7 day auction at 199.95, buy it now 199.99 it would cost you $10.73 in fee's. If you ran a 7 day fixed price at 199.99 it would cost you $15.35 in fee's as the closing cost is higher.

Now you would have to start the same auction at 179.95 buy it now 199.99. Assuming someone ends it early at 199.99 does not affect the fee's as the listing is still $2.00 for listing either way.

Stores still do fine even with Ebay :censored:ing us on the search. Smart buyers still look for us. . My sales havent been hampered much by ebay's changes yet. I will say that I have given up auctions almost entirely for 2 years. I will do a 30 day listing or two a month to drive some traffic, but for the most part I just stick with my store. When it starts to fail I will just close up shop and move on.