• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Are The "Best" Flash Issues To Get And Hold On To?

124 posts in this topic

I've read through this thread, and i would agree with SC 4 and then Flash 105. But I wonder why SC #8, which is the 2nd app. of Flash and origin/1st app. of Captain Cold, hasn't been mentioned yet. Sounds to me like that needs to be in there also.

It's definitely an important book, but not important enough to climb above SC 4 (first SA book and first SA Flash), 105 (first SA character to get his own title) and 123 (first Earth 2). I think you could make a very strong argument that it should rank either 4 or 5, depending on how much importance you place on Flash 110 (first Kid Flash/Wally West).

Sorry to disagree Tim but Lois Lane was the first SA character to get her own title. :baiting::sorry:

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

Lois Lane is a Golden Age character.

I've read through this thread, and i would agree with SC 4 and then Flash 105. But I wonder why SC #8, which is the 2nd app. of Flash and origin/1st app. of Captain Cold, hasn't been mentioned yet. Sounds to me like that needs to be in there also.

It's definitely an important book, but not important enough to climb above SC 4 (first SA book and first SA Flash), 105 (first SA character to get his own title) and 123 (first Earth 2). I think you could make a very strong argument that it should rank either 4 or 5, depending on how much importance you place on Flash 110 (first Kid Flash/Wally West).

Sorry to disagree Tim but Lois Lane was the first SA character to get her own title. :baiting::sorry:

Andrew

O no! Now comes the battle over whether Barry is truly a Silver Age character or just Jay warmed over. :sick:

Andrew

Flash is also a GA character, but I digress. :frustrated: More to the point of SA

Flash's First App. Showcase # 4 (1956 )

Lois Lane Solo App. Showcase # 9 ( 1957 )

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Quite Clear. :devil:

If he had said SA Superhero, totally agree.

Just my 2c . and having a little fun w/ Tim. :baiting:

Andrew

Andrew

Flash is also a GA character, but I digress. :frustrated: More to the point of SA

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Andrew

Called it! :headbang:

Also, The Mummy is an awesome movie!

Andrew

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Andrew

Hey even Green Lantern got a #1, Flash continued the same numbering. doh!

Andrew

P.S. There is a thread in Comics General about The Living Mummy lol:insane:

Andrew

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Andrew

Hey even Green Lantern got a #1, Flash continued the same numbering. doh!

Andrew

P.S. There is a thread in Comics General about The Living Mummy lol:insane:

Nuh uh, the first 104 issues were ashcans.

Andrew

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Andrew

I don't think Lois Lane deserves much credit for being the 1st SA anything. How much imagination did it take to clone the idea of giving a book to a member Superman's supporting cast? Considering that the idea had already been done (apparently successfully) way back in 1954 with Jimmy Olsen #1?

I don't think Lois Lane deserves much credit for being the 1st SA anything. How much imagination did it take to clone the idea of giving a book to a member Superman's supporting cast? Considering that the idea had already been done (apparently successfully) way back in 1954 with Jimmy Olsen #1?

So, does that mean JO #1 is the true first SA DC? :frustrated:

Andrew

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Andrew

:applause:

:gossip: But...Showcase 9 is only defined as being in the SA because a reinvented Flash was introduced in Showcase 4, starting the SA. In other words, Lois is arbitrarily called "Silver Age", but she's really the same old Lois. If you can follow that "logic." :insane:

So, does that mean JO #1 is the true first SA DC? :frustrated:

Of course not. For that, you'd need to go back to Superboy #1 in 1949. :acclaim:

Andrew

Flash #105 ( 1959 )

Lois Lane #1 ( 1958 )

Andrew

:applause:

:gossip: But...Showcase 9 is only defined as being in the SA because a reinvented Flash was introduced in Showcase 4, starting the SA. In other words, Lois is arbitrarily called "Silver Age", but she's really the same old Lois. If you can follow that "logic." :insane:

I agree somewhat, and am truly sorry for de-railing this thread w/ what was intended to be a small joke.

But DC at that time from my perspective was re-inventing itself. They were using books like Showcase and Brave and the Bold to try new and old characters out to see which were hits and which missed. That said I think it's safe to say that the "new" Lois Lane that appeared in Showcase #9 was just as "new" as the Flash and therefore her getting a book first is somewhat telling.

Like I said it was all in harmless fun that I mentioned it, but we are getting a good discussion out of it. Maybe I should start a new thread. lol:insane:

Andrew

In the Mound City auction, what do you expect the 9.4 #125 and the 9.0 #110 to go for?

#125 $7000

#110 $11000

Thanks!

Are those a good buy, at that price? I've been made to understand that Flash prices are pretty stable right now...

I was just giving my educated guess. I'm sure you'll get more shortly. hm:popcorn:

Andrew

In the Mound City auction, what do you expect the 9.4 #125 and the 9.0 #110 to go for?

#125 $7000

#110 $11000

Thanks!

Are those a good buy, at that price? I've been made to understand that Flash prices are pretty stable right now...

Flash prices are stable since they have already risen so high. Just like any other early SA DCs, they are tough to find in HG so prices can almost approach early SA Marvel values in some cases.

Yeah, anything in VF- or lower (and even VF to VF+ on some issues with more HG census numbers) is a tough sell. This is why I question how much demand there is for SA Flash outside of a couple of keys. I have always been able to sell low to mid grade early JLAs, GLs, Batman and Supes at local shows or via consignment through local dealers but Flash has always been a dead/very slow title for me. (shrug)

Sure, the high rollers will always chase HG copies, but the truth of the matter is that this is a minority of the collector base and it is the low to mid grade market that reflects the popularity of a title more accurately. Look at Luke Cage #1, Night Nurse, etc. for example - the crazy prices are only paid for true HG copies by BSDs who need the best copy. Otherwise, those books do not move as most collectors could care less.

Yeah, anything in VF- or lower (and even VF to VF+ on some issues with more HG census numbers) is a tough sell. This is why I question how much demand there is for SA Flash outside of a couple of keys. I have always been able to sell low to mid grade early JLAs, GLs, Batman and Supes at local shows or via consignment through local dealers but Flash has always been a dead/very slow title for me. (shrug)

Sure, the high rollers will always chase HG copies, but the truth of the matter is that this is a minority of the collector base and it is the low to mid grade market that reflects the popularity of a title more accurately. Look at Luke Cage #1, Night Nurse, etc. for example - the crazy prices are only paid for true HG copies by BSDs who need the best copy. Otherwise, those books do not move as most collectors could care less.

Wow, talk about an insult, comparing Flash to Luke Cage and Night Nurse!

As a midgrade collector I'd have to agree that I can get early issues for pretty cheap. Kind of a shame since these are some of the best SA books DC made...

I like 107, 125, 127, 135, 141, and 172. Of course all cover driven and tough to find in high grade.

MstrTech, those prices were probably applicable at the peak of Flash prices 2 years ago. With the high rollers all getting out of Flash's (lol for DC's that means 2 people) the bottom has dropped out from this market. You ll probably have to slash 40% off your estimates for the current market value (A 110 9.0 with White Pages just sold in the 5500 range a couple months ago).