• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT SUES JIM SHOOTER

145 posts in this topic

Quoted from the Valiantfans board:

It seems Valiant Entertainment has filed a suit against Jim Shooter with the Supreme Court of the State of New York...

more news to follow....

They are trying to permanently enjoin and restrain Jim, his agents and anyone working on his behalf (Dark Horse) from working on Magnus, Solar and Turok

Joe Lauria, Jim’s friend and partner in Illustrated Media is so outraged and upset that he is offering to reimburse anyone who sends VEI products back to them... In any condition., Joe will reimburse their money

HEY VALIANTMAN -- your board in interconnected with the VEI website, and you share the same board. What's up, Greg???

I think it might have something to do with a non-compete cause in a contract Shooter might have signed, when he did work for VEI two years ago. He wrote the new 8 page 'Origin of Harada' story for the Harbinger hardback.

But it's a lose-lose situation for VEI, IMO. Because most all Valiant fans are fans of Big Jim, as well. It's like Dino from VEI just pee'd on your favorite Uncle's leg....

I think it might have something to do with a non-compete cause in a contract Shooter might have signed, when he did work for VEI two years ago. He wrote the new 8 page 'Origin of Harada' story for the Harbinger hardback.

Doubt it!

Looks like they are going after Dark Horse and anyone who wants to work on Magnus and Turok and Solar

Non compete clauses usually only run for one year.

Not true. In several states (California, for example) they're illegal. In states where they are permitted, I've seen them last several years.

That said, I don't think this is a non-compete issue. It sounds more like an IP fight over the characters.

Non compete clauses usually only run for one year.

Not true. In several states (California, for example) they're illegal. In states where they are permitted, I've seen them last several years.

That said, I don't think this is a non-compete issue. It sounds more like an IP fight over the characters.

Hate to say it, because I was put out of work by a non-compete for a short while, but you are right that some states will take the company's side and enforce this document.

Some industries can even attempt to enforce a decade-long non-compete that deal with the scientific field.

I get the feeling this has nothing to do with a non-compete. But man, what a bad call to take on Shooter and Dark Horse.

VEI needs to move on and start producing new valiant comics.

+ 1

The market so wants this, and these guys are totally missing the boat (and loads of sales). And now to Shooter off, it shows poor business judgement.

+ 1

The market so wants this, and these guys are totally missing the boat (and loads of sales). And now to Shooter off, it shows poor business judgement.

While I'm inclined to agree with you, maybe it shows their intent to produce new material and doesn't want it tainted by a rogue writer...

Jim

+ 1

While I'm inclined to agree with you, maybe it shows their intent to produce new material and doesn't want it tainted by a rogue writer...

Jim

I know the person in control at VEI, and I must say his business savvy has never impressed me. Any old Valiant fan wouldn't be interested in their new product now. Most old Valiant collectors cherish their pre-Unities, which was everything that Jim oversaw, before he was essentially ousted by Massarsky.

Their only hope now is in new readers, and the stories had better be good. But all-in-all, what was the point in buying mostly semi-known characters if all you wanted to attract were new readers? With a million dollars, why not just create new ones?

Dino & Co. (VEI) bought the characters because they were fans. That's one reason I'm so surprised at this turn of events. He could have piggybacked his relaunch line of Valiant characters in tandem with Dark Horse's sure to be mega-hyped debut, and got a whole lot of readers interested in his stuff as a hype overflow coming from DH's output. But not now...