• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is one of the GREATEST Copper Age books Judge Dredd OVERLOOKED!??

16 posts in this topic

I'm a DIE-HARD DREDD-HEAD :headbang: & I'm just shocked how few issue's of the Eagle JUDGE DREDD run there are that have been slabbed?!? I mean JD was one of those rare books to not only have great covers (many done by the legendary Brian Bolland), but inner page art as well! Plus the satire was brilliant. And the stories are CLASSIC! The Dark Judges ark, The Luna One series, The Cursed Earth ark, The Day the Law DIED! The Apocalypse WAR!, The Judge Child Quest, So now we have Classic stories, Art, what else does this series need? So why are there so few slabbed copies avalible? (shrug) is it because they wouldent bring in thousands of dollars a slab? low print run? no demand? :cry: why is this great series overlooked!?

Hey, S.M. ---

I'm a big Dredd fan, too. Some great reading, many happy memories.

Here's my guess why there aren't that many slabbed copies--

1) Judge Dredd has fewer fans in America than across the pond. Fewer fans equals less demand.

2) The Eagle comics are all reprints, poorly colored and re-sized from the orignal artwork. (But, yes, the covers are cool.) On top of that, many of the stories in the Eagle comics were also reprinted in graphic novel and magazine formats, making them readily available to readers. I don't know about low print runs, but if I wanted to read,say, the Cursed Earth Saga, there are many different formats in which to find that story.

3) The OSPG lists them at $3 a pop. The cost of slabbing may eat into any potential profit, even for a 9.8.

4) As far as I can tell, even the Brits don't pay big money for early Dredd 2000A.D. comics, with the exception of his first appearance, and perhaps the next five or ten subsequent appearances. (I could be wrong here.) Early issues of 2000 A.D. are rarely found in anything better than FN/VF condition, so if a true NM copy of Dredd's first app were to appear, it might command a very high price.

5) No puny plastic slab can contain the might that is Dredd!

Hey, S.M. ---

I'm a big Dredd fan, too. Some great reading, many happy memories.

Here's my guess why there aren't that many slabbed copies--

1) Judge Dredd has fewer fans in America than across the pond. Fewer fans equals less demand.

2) The Eagle comics are all reprints, poorly colored and re-sized from the orignal artwork. (But, yes, the covers are cool.)

3) The OSPG lists them at $3 a pop. The cost of slabbing may eat into any potential profit, even for a 9.8.

4) As far as I can tell, even the Brits don't pay big money for early Dredd 2000A.D. comics, with the exception of his first appearance, and perhaps the next five or ten subsequent appearances. (I could be wrong here.)

5) No puny plastic slab can contain the might that is Dredd!

All good points. [font:Arial Black] 1[/font]. Unfortunately that's very true. :cry: [font:Arial Black] 2[/font]. I know there reprints, but sense CGC refuses to grade 2000AD (so far) I would think the earliest ''reprints'' would be in demand. (or am I wrong on that ?) (shrug) [font:Arial Black]3 [/font]. Tell that to the guy I bought my last two 9.8 DREDD'S from ($109.00 each) But I guess I'm the only [font:Arial Black]guy[/font] who would be willing to pay that much for a ''reprint''. :insane: [font:Arial Black]5[/font]. If that's true why do I hear him banging on the walls of his CGC case everyday trying to escape? lol

Hey, S.M., don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking what you choose to collect!

I do think that most people seem to slab for either investment or nostalgia purposes, especially when it comes to Copper books that are easily available raw in all grades.

It sounds to me like you're going with the nostalgia angle, which I think is great! My personal nostaliga is for the old progs and the reprint magazines like the Best of 2000 A.D.

I had a big box of them turn brown and moldy in my mom's garage. I recently bought a bunch of the early Dredd Omnibus..ss...and although the art has been shrunk, I'm very happy with them.

Favorite Dredd stories off the top of my head ---

Boing!

Umpty Candy

Blood of Satanus

All the Judge Death/ Judge Anderson stories

Monkey Business at the Charles Darwin Block

Otto Sump's Ugly Clinic

Un-American Graffiti

Block Mania/ Apocalypse War

I could go on and on. I tried to start a thread about 2000 A.D. over in the magazine forum, but it died a horrible death.

I like them and have started to collect the set to complement my 2000 AD run but I suppose most fans see them as curiosity items primarily aimed at the foreign overseas market. Most fans would prefer the originals I guess?

after reading this thread im going to have to read these books...

but i did enjoy the movie lol

The only Dredd book I have is that goofy Batman/Dredd crossover from '93-'94 or so... though honestly, I did like the movie. 2c

:popcorn:

*Saw it like 3x in the theater... lol

after reading this thread im going to have to read these books...

but i did enjoy the movie lol

The only Dredd book I have is that goofy Batman/Dredd crossover from '93-'94 or so... though honestly, I did like the movie. 2c

:popcorn:

*Saw it like 3x in the theater... lol

I can safely say it was better then Batman Forever & Batman & Robin! :roflmao:

I think that Dredd is simply "too British" for the typical American comic book reader. Over the years, I have come to appreciate British humo(u)r, television, pop music, food, sports (well, football, anyway) and even women (my girlfriend is from Scotland). But, most of these things are acquired tastes - I can easily see how many U.S. readers would not have much of an interest in Dredd as I think the writing style, humor and references all play towards the home audience in the U.K. (shrug)

An issue of 2000 A.D. is (or I should say was) larger than an issue of Playboy or Sports Illustrated. I think they are still larger today. So, there may not be a slab designed to hold them.

Another fun fact: many of the early issues would have "freebies" attached to the cover, like 3-D glasses, fake tattoos, stickers, etc. Collectors really want the freebies (which are scarcer than hen's teeth), but I imagine they may cause havoc with the inner sleve of the CGC case. Maybe not.

I have been a big fan of Judge Dredd since the mid 1980s when I began reading the different Eagle series. One of the reasons why I enjoy the books is because instead of attempts at crossovers (aside from the Dredd/Batman), the Judge Dredd books are largely contained in their own universe. Readers of Marvel and DC comics who enjoy absurd crossovers and gimmicky mixing of characters might not appreciate this.

Am I the only guy on these boards who has CGC 9.8 EAGLE Jugde Dredd books? I thought for sure someone else would try to collect slabbed Dredd's on these boards. (I know there's one other guy, but I forgot his name) *edit* I just checked and the other owner of a slabbed 9.8 is [font:Arial Black] delekkerste [/font]. :hi: