• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do eventually all valuable comics have to be restored?

9 posts in this topic

I was just doing a study in my history class and The Declaration of Independence has become faded and even had some restoration done. with Action 1 and Detective Comics 27 and other comics getting up there in age will they eventually have to be restored as well? The Declaration was in terrible conditon even at 30 years of age,some of these valuable comics are already twice that age. hm

I was just doing a study in my history class and The Declaration of Independence has become faded and even had some restoration done. with Action 1 and Detective Comics 27 and other comics getting up there in age will they eventually have to be restored as well? The Declaration was in terrible conditon even at 30 years of age,some of these valuable comics are already twice that age. hm
I brought this same subject up months ago (why does restoration matter? thewy are ALL going to need some eventually) And I brought up the Declaration too, and somebody said there's a big differance and that was there is only one Declaration, but millons or thousands of any type of comic so the comics don't deserve restoration, but the Declaration does. At least that is how it came off sounding.

Is the implication that comics will eventually disintegrate into nothingness?

As time goes by, will it ever be the case that a comic is restored as it disintegrates, and eventually fully-replaced so that no original components are left?

I think the ultimate answer is yes. However, we are generations away from that being the case.

In the early 1980s, we sent our Military #1 and Detective #28 to be restored at the recommendation of John Veryzyl and others. Not because we wanted to trick anyone into thinking we had a higher quality book than we really had (both were about VF when purchased) but to make slight improvements so they appeared closer to what they looked like new and, most importantly, was the de-acidification that was being promoted to help keep the comics from aging as quickly. Now, the environment for restored books is seen in a much more negative light, but that may change in the future. Certainly a restored comic with cream pages should outlive - and potentially be more valuable than - a similar unrestored book with brittle pages.

But with proper care, the vast majority of our comics will outlive us without tampering, so future generations may be making the ultimate decisions.

Like PokerKid said, it's all about storage conditions. If properly stored, comics will outlive us all. The reason the Declaration needed preservation is because (from Wikipedia) "From 1841 to 1876, the engrossed copy was publicly exhibited at the Patent Office building in Washington, D.C. Exposed to sunlight and variable temperature and humidity, the document faded badly" Had it been kept out of direct sunlight and stored somewhere cool, it would arguably be in wonderful condition today.

According to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics---yes :eek:

Is the implication that comics will eventually disintegrate into nothingness?

As time goes by, will it ever be the case that a comic is restored as it disintegrates, and eventually fully-replaced so that no original components are left?

Ya know, I have the original axe George Washington used to chop down the fabled cherry tree. Of course, the handle has been replace a time or two, and the axe head has been changed as well, but it's the original!

I think the ultimate answer is yes. However, we are generations away from that being the case.

In the early 1980s, we sent our Military #1 and Detective #28 to be restored at the recommendation of John Veryzyl and others. Not because we wanted to trick anyone into thinking we had a higher quality book than we really had (both were about VF when purchased) but to make slight improvements so they appeared closer to what they looked like new and, most importantly, was the de-acidification that was being promoted to help keep the comics from aging as quickly. Now, the environment for restored books is seen in a much more negative light, but that may change in the future. Certainly a restored comic with cream pages should outlive - and potentially be more valuable than - a similar unrestored book with brittle pages.

But with proper care, the vast majority of our comics will outlive us without tampering, so future generations may be making the ultimate decisions.

Honestly, I believe the sometimes harsh view of restoration will fade eventually. A little work done to preserve a book is great by me, enhancement....not so much, but they will all eventually need it.