• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Purchased - but has minor color touch

16 posts in this topic

This is a big dissapointment, I just picked up a great 1943 DC golden age book and it turns out to have some really minor color touch on the bottom of the front cover. From all appearances it is pretty old work as there is some obvious tape on the back side of a tear at the base of the cover. On the cover it appears that four to six small applications of ball point pen were made to cover the tear. There is no bleed through.

I outlined in a square on the scan below the area affected.

I am torn on returning this book as I really like it; but the color touch bugs me. I asked the dealer if he was aware of any restoration and he said he was not aware of any and I never saw it (or the tape for that matter) when I purchased it. Also I paid a price closer to unrestored than not so that is annoying too.

From what I have read here tape will not get a purple label but color touch will. But I have seen books in blue labels noted with color touch.Anyone have an idea of how CGC would judge this small amount of color touch.

87345.jpg.127be5e75afffc29b044bc00d54c9b1b.jpg

The amount of color touch is pretty small. I could see this book being in a blue label slab. With the notation of "very minor color touch" added. The only way to find out for sure is to submit the book. That is if you don't return it. If your keeping the book. I'd ask for a partial discount. If the dealer is honest. I don't think there would be a problem with the partial refund.

No problem. If this book does come back in a blue slab with the CT noted. You may want to ask for a little bit of money back as well. Even though the book is classified as un restored. Some people, myself included would be turned off by the CT notation. My personal opinion is if a book has any noted "CT, Glue" etc on a blue label book is wrong. The book has been indeed been restored. Age, key book, etc. makes no difference IMHO.

what was the advertised grade? tape is a pretty serious defect and would affect the grade and thus the value - to me - moreso than the minor CT.

Normally solvents, or even scraping can remove most acrylic(paint) applied CT.

But from the sound of it, the type of CT on your book cannot easily be removed because it was done with a pen/marker. Depending on what type was used will dictate how much can be safely removed.

Previously it was common to simply cut away(or even drill) a pen CT'ed area until new paper was visible, but this to me is more damaging and unnecessary then the CT itself.

If it really bothers you I would email Matt, send him a good size scan and ask him if he thinks(based on a scan) it is worth sending in to try to and remove. But since there is also a tear and tape on the underside I would opt to leave it as is unless you really, really want it free of added materials.

I would keep the book as is, and maybe just ask a little discount.

Unless you paid it more than it deserves, I would not think about it: color touch is so small that it doesn’t affect the overall appeal of the cover.

This said from someone which would not submit a comic book to CGC, unless it’s something costly and something I have to sell, just to ensure consistent grading.

Hey, it‘s "The unholy dreams of Gentlemen Jack". Who cares about a lousy color touch? :foryou:

Bottom line is that if something bothers you that much, return it. If you don't, you will always be looking at that pen mark. You have to be be 100% satisfied with the purchase. If the dealer is willing to discount the purchase further for you, would you be happy, or will you still be looking at that pen mark? Your choice.