• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple pull on an otherwise 9.4-9.6

20 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have a book that is virtually mint, a sold 9.4 possibly even a 9.6 that has the top staple detached from the cover. I am not certain how that happened but what I was wondering is how much of detraction on the book this defect would be?

The book in question is an Amazing Spider-man 238 ( first Hob-goblin )

Staple pop is going to drop it to a 7.0. It sounds like a dry heat press that went bad and they dumped it. Some guys try too much to hit a 9.8 they press so hard it pushed the staple through. If the slit in the cover has a clean cut to it, that is probably what happend.

Staple pop is going to drop it to a 7.0. It sounds like a dry heat press that went bad and they dumped it. Some guys try too much to hit a 9.8 they press so hard it pushed the staple through. If the slit in the cover has a clean cut to it, that is probably what happend.

And you know this, how? :grin:

And you know this, how? :grin:

Now that right there is funny!! :roflmao::roflmao:

Staple pop is going to drop it to a 7.0.

Not true. It will get a green qualified label and whatever grade it would have received without the staple pop.

It sounds like a dry heat press that went bad and they dumped it. Some guys try too much to hit a 9.8 they press so hard it pushed the staple through. If the slit in the cover has a clean cut to it, that is probably what happend.

Also not true. Staple pop does not mean it was pressed. Staples can be popped without pressing, and it's far more likely that it was popped because it was too tight when the book was produced.

doh!

What probably happened is that the staple popped.

Not true. It will get a green qualified label and whatever grade it would have received without the staple pop.

Although I've never done it I have heard that it is possible to get the book into a blue label by simply having them grade the book and take the defect into account....would likely get a 5.0 or so with a popped cover staple if that was the case.

R.

Still wondering how it happened, I am thinking the book had a "tatoo package" as it mentions it being inside. Possible the previous owner ( the book is a 2 owner one, the previous and now me ) pulled the tatoo out?

On those tatoo books were they attached to the top staple?

Although I've never done it I have heard that it is possible to get the book into a blue label by simply having them grade the book and take the defect into account....would likely get a 5.0 or so with a popped cover staple if that was the case.

R.

This is true, but you have to request it on your submission form. You can ask for a blue label and they'll adjust the grade for it.

R.

This is true, but you have to request it on your submission form. You can ask for a blue label and they'll adjust the grade for it.

Not true - call them up if you want the correct answer.

Still wondering how it happened, I am thinking the book had a "tatoo package" as it mentions it being inside. Possible the previous owner ( the book is a 2 owner one, the previous and now me ) pulled the tatoo out?

This seems the most logical explanation.

They tried to pull out the tattoos, grabbed the outside staple area and pulled..pop.

They tried to pull out the tattoos, grabbed the outside staple area and pulled..pop.

Unless it's common defect for the issue, or both. :)

There are numerous issues where a popped staple is rampant - two that come to mind are Marvel Spotlight #1 and Kull #10 - both great BA books, with a plethora of popped . . . :grin:

There are numerous issues where a popped staple is rampant - two that come to mind are Marvel Spotlight #1 and Kull #10 - both great BA books, with a plethora of popped . . . :grin:

And as Dice said, it was possibly too tight from production(like from a cardboard tat insert) and the staple area was stressed from the get go. If the tats were in fact located at the top staple. I have no idea, but it would make sense to put them there.

Not everyone is a hack like you man .To assume that this was done by a press is pretty ridiculous . doh!

And as Dice said, it was possibly too tight from production(like from a cardboard tat insert) and the staple area was stressed from the get go. If the tats were in fact located at the top staple. I have no idea, but it would make sense to put them there.

Tattooz are attached at the top staple. I forgot about that. I'll bet that's what happened. Someone pulled them out and popped that staple since they are in the book just under the cover.