• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What`s the consensus on Showcase 23,24 and Green Lantern 1?

59 posts in this topic

I really have still not gotten an answer on why Showcase 23,24 seem to have not taken off yet. anything?

I will give a few reasons that come to mind which you may or may not have already thought about.

1) No recent HG sales. When HG copies sell at their lofty prices, that is a substantial trigger in raising the price of the book in all grades.

2) 2nd, 3rd app is of course less and less desirable than the 1st app. Combine that with only low grade copies and you have lackluster desirability.

3) Speculators (ala the SC 22 thread) - they only buy the keys and ignore the rest.

Agreed..BUT I want some more 29s in hi grade and cant find em.Thats my point..They arent EASY to find in hi grade by any means..

They are out there if you look for them. I just found two over the last week or so by going through dealer websites in the OSPG. (thumbs u

Is GL #40 still a key player?

Its the first app of the storyline that eventually becomes the Crisis..plus it has a cool GA vs SA GL fight on the cover...

Maybe in 9.4 and above, but it is not considered as big a key as it once was. In addition, it is a mid 60s book so it is easier to find than the early issues in high grade.

Anyone interested in checking out copies of Showcase 23, 24 and GL 1, Chicago Comics on Clark St. has copies for sale. They're on the wall behind the cash register.

At least they were there last week.

So let me see if I get your point,Your saying GL8 is a better book then 29 because of it COVER???

Maybe im looking in the wrong places but where are all these " easy" to find 29s in vf or better..Ill take all I can get..I dont think the BN storyline will be the end of the Black Hand so I dont see what your rational is for that either..Unless your a writer for DC you have no idea where its going.

Ill buy books with first app over cool covers all day every day..

I will agree with you on #7 though.Tough to find book but all the others you mention arent that tough.Not by me at least..Guess im looking in the wrong places (shrug)

GL #29 9.4 ow/w right now on ebay - BIN $1,500...

whoever paid $9500 for the 8.5 on CC last month is gonna have to pancake that to a 9.2 to break even.

doh!

I got $5K for my 8.0 less than a month ago.

hm

whoever paid $9500 for the 8.5 on CC last month is gonna have to pancake that to a 9.2 to break even.

doh!

I got $5K for my 8.0 less than a month ago.

hm

i'm happy to hear the clink book wasn't your copy.

I still think the Comiclink sale is an anomaly. I didn't even realize there was a GL #1 8.0 in the auction. If I had realized it I would have bid higher than the hammer price.

Even though I'm a Marvel Zombie those DC books are a lot of bang for the buck.

The fact that the entire DC cache of keys is on par with Daredevil as far as price goes is a bit silly considering how well read and loved they were...and that they predate every Marvel key by at least a few years.

R.

Looks like right now is a good time to be buying certain books. Here's hoping that prices on the Mound City collection follow suit so I can land a few upgrades for my run that I am eyeing. :wishluck:

FWIW, Clink is definitely hit and miss with prices and there are bargains to be found all the time. Right now GL books appear to be taking a breather (except for #7 or #29, I guess) which makes sense since the movie is still almost 2 years away. Load up now and cash in later. (thumbs u

So let me see if I get your point,Your saying GL8 is a better book then 29 because of it COVER???

Maybe im looking in the wrong places but where are all these " easy" to find 29s in vf or better..Ill take all I can get..I dont think the BN storyline will be the end of the Black Hand so I dont see what your rational is for that either..Unless your a writer for DC you have no idea where its going.

Ill buy books with first app over cool covers all day every day..

I will agree with you on #7 though.Tough to find book but all the others you mention arent that tough.Not by me at least..Guess im looking in the wrong places (shrug)

GL #29 9.4 ow/w right now on ebay - BIN $1,500...

It is not that hard to find, but since it has not historically sold for a huge premium to the surrounding issues (and Black Hand was in lame villain land for a long time) most collectors with HG copies are not bothering to slab or sell it, yet.