• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questionable Paypal fees

73 posts in this topic

I'd definately agree that he shouldn't say flat out, I accept paypal. If there is a surcharge. I don't even offer paypal anymore if/when I do auctions. If the buyer brings it up, then I'd tell them I might do it for the 3 percent but otherwise stick to the money order/check preferance.

Brian

Why just NOT do business with a seller that has policies that you do not agree with? Just avoid that seller. OK? Problem solved.

No it isn't, and that's a bad attitude.

So you see a illegal/against EBay regulations Paypal Surcharge auction, and we're all just supposed to shield our eyes and pass on by?

What about other illegal scams like fake auctions, stolen scans/fraud? Those are against the law and contravene EBay regs; are we just supposed to "not buy from that seller" and somehow everything is alright? That's the kind of bad attitude that lets people get murdered in the street, in front of witnesses, or allows drug dealers to freely operate in neighborhoods.

If a seller on EBay is scamming and breaking the law/regulations, then you either be a man and stand up to protect other users, or you go hide in the closet and cower like a wimp.

There are many on here who take their time to weed out these scam artists, and I for one, appreciate their efforts. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I see nothing wrong with this guy as he is very clear up front. Don't like? Avoid. ------Sid

Why are you so supportive of these Paypal Scammers? Do you charge extra to take Paypal CC payments?

P.S. I'm reporting the above lamer, and just to make amends, will be running a few reports and mass email EBay Listing Violations to those that show up. EBay takes those off ASAP, so it is more than worth the effort. thumbsup2.gif

Why just NOT do business with a seller that has policies that you do not agree with? Just avoid that seller. OK? Problem solved.

No it isn't, and that's a bad attitude.

So you see a illegal/against EBay regulations Paypal Surcharge auction, and we're all just supposed to shield our eyes and pass on by?

What about other illegal scams like fake auctions, stolen scans/fraud? Those are against the law and contravene EBay regs; are we just supposed to "not buy from that seller" and somehow everything is alright? That's the kind of bad attitude that lets people get murdered in the street, in front of witnesses, or allows drug dealers to freely operate in neighborhoods.

If a seller on EBay is scamming and breaking the law/regulations, then you either be a man and stand up to protect other users, or you go hide in the closet and cower like a wimp.

There are many on here who take their time to weed out these scam artists, and I for one, appreciate their efforts. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's ridiculous Joe. My feelings about this issue are specific and do not apply to any other "broken rules" or infractions or laws. To assume that I feel the same way about other violations is very naive. This problem specifically to me is a non-issue and very minor. A seller that is up front about fees, whether following the rules or not is HARDLY commiting any kind of scam. -----Sid

I see nothing wrong with this guy as he is very clear up front. Don't like? Avoid. ------Sid

Why are you so supportive of these Paypal Scammers? Do you charge extra to take Paypal CC payments?

P.S. I'm reporting the above lamer, and just to make amends, will be running a few reports and mass email EBay Listing Violations to those that show up. EBay takes those off ASAP, so it is more than worth the effort. thumbsup2.gif

You are WHAT??? Check out my listings here is you want.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2218905599&category=32753&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2218905599&category=32753&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1[/ur

------Sid

You are WHAT??? Joe, you are a jerk.

I support a scam-free EBay environment, while you support Paypal Surcharges that are both illegal and against EBay regulations.

I guess you live in the Bizarro world, where drug dealers put policemen in jail. 27_laughing.gif

After thinking about it I believe that Joe may have not been talking about me, although it looks like I was the one he is referring to in his post about the "above scammer" as he quoted me above his coment in the post. And No, I do not charge any kind of PayPal fee, never have and never will. I just don't see a problem with it is a seller discloses it up front. I just try to be neutral in these situations and look at it from both sides. -----Sid

After thinking about it I believe that Joe may have not been talking about me, although it looks like I was the one he is referring to in his post about the "above scammer" as he quoted me above his coment in the post.

Yeesh, it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the Seller Link that Ricky posted. Before you posted your auction link, why would you think I was reporting you? Am I Kreskin?

Joe, it is not that I support these charges, it is just that I believe if a seller has policies that you don't like, then just avoid him. This situation in particular to me actually makes sense. Offering a seller the convenience of paying with PayPal if covering the PayPal fee (but not more) sounds reasonable. As I have mentioned before, many legitimate businesses used to do this with crredit cards and although it is rare now, I still come across it now and then. I don't do this because I have to compete with other dealers and if I want to compete, then I don't want to charge a fee that most other dealers are not charging. But for those that do, no problem.-----Sid

Joe, it is not that I support these charges, it is just that I believe if a seller has policies that you don't like, then just avoid him.

Let's agree to disagree. I don't like that angle, since it leaves the auction open and just foists the problem over to someone else. As long as it's against the law and EBay's regulations, then I'll keep reporting them.

I really don't see how reporting Paypal Surcharge artists affects you? You don't enforce such charges, you "pass on by" auctions like that, so what's the big deal?

Yeesh, it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the Seller Link that Ricky posted. Before you posted your auction link, why would you think I was reporting you? Am I Kreskin?

Kreskin? Now THERE is a scammer. But then again, just an illusionist like Siegfried and Roy. But the difference is that Kreskin sold his tickets while trying to give people the impression that he was for REAL. That guy is a problem. Sorry for jumping the gun above Joe, but after asking if I charge PayPal fees it looked like you were assuming that I did. ---Sid

I really don't see how reporting Paypal Surcharge artists affects you? You don't enforce such charges, you "pass on by" auctions like that, so what's the big deal?

Joe, oh go ahead and report. If I agree with that rule or not it is still a rule and I agree with reporting violators. Just a misunderstanding above when I disagreed with that. I have reported people too. But for different reasons. I was NARUed before for listing adult comics with nude covers in the regular listings (with censored photos - which I thought made it OK, it did not as I found out later) because I did not know of all the rules. I imagine the sellers charging these fees are just not aware that it is breaking a rule. As a sort of revenge in my situation, I often report other offenders listing comics with nude covers in the general listings, so I have no problem with reporting people. Go ahead. -------Sid

Here is the listing: What?!?!

That really sucks that the seller does not mention anything about a surcharge in the auction listing insane.gif

Rickdogg is correct, this is the auction in question.

For the record, I did pay the additional paypal fees as it's not worth risking a neg on a 1.07. I did however politely notify the seller about Ebay's policies regarding surcharges. Depending on how the seller responds to that information I may or may not report the user to ebay (assuming of course the seller does not continue to use such tactics in the future).

Unless the guy is pulling a scam, and it does not look like he is, most dealers are very reasonable and those that break the rules usually do unknowingly. I would always suggest contacting a seller and politely informing him/her of the violation before "BUSTING" the guy. It seems that there are too many people here that are just so eager to "turn the scumbag in" too fast and for too little. Of course we should bust all legitimate scammers but often there are honest people that are just unaware of some policies. A polite statement goes alot farther than causing trouble when there are fixable problems. ----Sid

Do some of you guys live in Salem???????

I agree that misleading should be punsihed but geez if they state it up front then what the hell.

By the way.....my transaction with Jason Ewert is NOT illegal. In Australia...cc charges can be applied back to the customer if identified before the transaction takes place (and it was done OFF of ebay).

Do some of you guys live in Salem???????

I agree that misleading should be punsihed but geez if they state it up front then what the hell.

By the way.....my transaction with Jason Ewert is NOT illegal. In Australia...cc charges can be applied back to the customer if identified before the transaction takes place (and it was done OFF of ebay).

Just curious. In the UK is it legal and/or allowed under PayPal/credit card rules to charge customers for using a credit card? I seem to recall reading something about that.

Why do people think that admitting you're breaking the law somehow makes it right?

Call up the cops, and be totally upfront that you're gonna do 100 MPH through a school zone, and I bet they still give you a ticket.

Why do people think that admitting you're breaking the law somehow makes it right?

Call up the cops, and be totally upfront that you're gonna do 100 MPH through a school zone, and I bet they still give you a ticket.

Not a sensible comparison........by the way Joe....have you never sped and if you have how would you feel if a bunch of busy bodies were lining the interstate taking down your number plate so that they could dob you into the police.