• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questionable Paypal fees

73 posts in this topic

If you are charging a Paypal surcharge, you instantly put 5% more in your pocket (or whatever you charge) and make your BUYER pay for your convenience. Would you be OK with the gas station charging you 5% more for gas if you used a credit card? A restaurant? That's what this seller is doing. It is unethical, illegal, and just plain wrong.

Actually some gas stations and some other businesses DID charge something like a 4% fee at one time for using credit cards, but I believe that out of competition that has mostly faded away, although you still come across it now and then even at legitimate businesses. I do sometimes visit a local comic shop that charges 50 cents if you pay with a credit card and your total is under $25.00. I don't like that policy, and it may have taken away some of my business, but I believe the store owner has the right to charge that surcharge if he chooses as businesses do have to pay a small fee to the credit card companies for being able to accept credit cards. OK, maybe illegal in some cases, I am not arguing that, but if stated up front I personally see nothing wrong with it. I do not believe it is wrong if a buyer has the right to choose to go into business with that seller knowing the seller's policies regarding these fees. It is only unethical if it is hidden. Not only that, but it is as much of a convenience for the buyer as it is for the seller when using PayPal. Just look at Bidpay, in that case you have the opposite. With Bidpay the BUYER pays the fee for the money order. Is it unethical to offer Bidpay as an option? Same basic thing. ------Sid

What is legal is saying that if you pay with cash check or MO you can deduct XX% from the amount. You can also do that with postage. Ie "Postage $6, if check or MO Postage is $4" That is legal. What is also legal is asking the buyer to voluntarily assist with the fees. That is usually the route I use.

Also, if anyone has two checking accounts you may open two paypal accounts one which accepts all payments (where even + balances get charged the paypal fee) and another that only accepts the + bal accounts. Its a pain in the to explain to buyers but it is a way to keep fees down.

ft88

I have no problem whatsoever with a seller charging PayPal fees, handling fees or excessive shipping fees as long as it is stated clearly in the item description. You don't like the seller's policies or charges, then don't bid. How much simpler can it get than that? And what I find most ridiculous is when a buyer jumps in and bids BEFORE reading the entire ad and then is surprised by these fees. Personally I do not charge any PayPal fees or handling fees or anything like that but if a seller prefers to run his business that way, and discloses it fully in his ad, then more power to him. If a seller charges ridiculous fees then just add that to what you are bidding. Think of the entire amount that you have to pay (bid, shipping, packaging, gas to post office, bubble wrap, energy bar needed to pack up your heavy box, and PayPal fee) and add it all up and if the book is worth the price, then buy, if not, then don't. However, I do not like hidden charges that pop up that were NOT listed in the ad. That is another story. --------Sid

You SHOULD have a problem with sellers adding paypal fees on to your total because this is against ebay and paypal aggrements and if someone reports this ebay will cancel their auction and paypal will suspend their account.I get 50 paypal payments every day and I eat the fees as a cost of doing business which it is.Sellers that try to charge buyers their business costs are total dickheads.Don't let people get away with [!@#%^&^].

I just saw this on a book I was looking at...

I have an EXCELLENT opening price on this book, and of course there is NO RESERVE! Due to the expense of accepting Pay Pal, S & H is $15.00 (if paying buy M.O., let me know & I’ll see what I can do), If you don’t agree with this policy, please don’t bid! - INSURANCE (if desired) EXTRA - I now accept Pay Pal!

I thought you couldn't get away with that on E-bay?

I have an EXCELLENT opening price on this book, and of course there is NO RESERVE! Due to the expense of accepting Pay Pal, S & H is $15.00 (if paying buy M.O., let me know & I’ll see what I can do), If you don’t agree with this policy, please don’t bid! - INSURANCE (if desired) EXTRA - I now accept Pay Pal!

Someone needs to report the auction to ebay. If this guy is up-charging for paypal use they will cancel his auction right way but you need to report it to them.If you don't I will.

If you are charging a Paypal surcharge, you instantly put 5% more in your pocket (or whatever you charge) and make your BUYER pay for your convenience. Would you be OK with the gas station charging you 5% more for gas if you used a credit card? A restaurant? That's what this seller is doing. It is unethical, illegal, and just plain wrong.

Actually some gas stations and some other businesses DID charge something like a 4% fee at one time for using credit cards, but I believe that out of competition that has mostly faded away, although you still come across it now and then even at legitimate businesses. I do sometimes visit a local comic shop that charges 50 cents if you pay with a credit card and your total is under $25.00. I don't like that policy, and it may have taken away some of my business, but I believe the store owner has the right to charge that surcharge if he chooses as businesses do have to pay a small fee to the credit card companies for being able to accept credit cards. OK, maybe illegal in some cases, I am not arguing that, but if stated up front I personally see nothing wrong with it. I do not believe it is wrong if a buyer has the right to choose to go into business with that seller knowing the seller's policies regarding these fees. It is only unethical if it is hidden. Not only that, but it is as much of a convenience for the buyer as it is for the seller when using PayPal. Just look at Bidpay, in that case you have the opposite. With Bidpay the BUYER pays the fee for the money order. Is it unethical to offer Bidpay as an option? Same basic thing. ------Sid

This is also against the Vias/Mastercard AmEx etc merchant aggrements they signed. You CAN NOT charge ANYONE a fee to use their credit card at your business no matter how much they spend even if they want to charge $1.00.I am a business owner and I process about $10,000.00 a week in charge payments.I sure would like to charge everyone the fees I get charged by Visa but I can't and don't ever let anyone else do that to you.Tell anyone that says you need to pay an extra .50 cents if your charge is under $25.00 to shove it up their butt or you'll report them to their credit card processor.They will cancel their merchant account for doing this. makepoint.gif

Someone needs to report the auction to ebay. If this guy is up-charging for paypal use they will cancel his auction right way but you need to report it to them.If you don't I will.

link

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on Ewert's back about his paypal fees. I just send him a check, but I was sure someone would've caught on to this and started person_without_enough_empathying.

Nah, ever since I bid on some CGC Fantastic Four 120-123 issues awhile back (and got the "please pay my Paypal fees" email), I just don't buy from him.

I think the practice is reprehensible, as well as being in violation of the EBay agreement, but if others are willing to be scammed, that's their problem.

Sorry guys, I just don't see the problem here with sellers being up front about the "PayPal" fees. Now before jumping down my throat I am just talking my opinion, I realize that it is against the rules and illegal in some areas. Why just NOT do business with a seller that has policies that you do not agree with? Just avoid that seller. OK? Problem solved. If enough people feel that way then that seller will do no business and then have to change some of his policies. I have paid this fee once or twice but have gone into the transaction knowing this in advance. We ALL have knowingly overpaid for shipping now and then realizing that the seller is pocketing a little shipping profit. Just yesterday I paid $4.00 media mail to ship seven comics. Costs $2.50 tops, add 50 cents for a padded envelope or small box (maybe) and the seller profits a buck. That's OK, I knew it going in. Vote with your dollars. Sellers will get the point. Stay away from dealers whose policies you do not like, just like stores that have high prices, or restaurants that have bad food or required tipping. ------Sid

I just don't see the problem here with sellers being up front about the "PayPal" fees.

the point is that in this case, the seller WASN'T up front about the Paypal surcharge.

the seller said he accepted paypal as payent. ezekiel bid and won the item.

when ezekiel goes to pay, he now is told he has to pay 5% more.

let's forget about morality/ethics - this is completely against all ebay/paypal rules.

how much more obvious does anything have to be?

I just don't see the problem here with sellers being up front about the "PayPal" fees.

the point is that in this case, the seller WASN'T up front about the Paypal surcharge.

the seller said he accepted paypal as payent. ezekiel bid and won the item.

when ezekiel goes to pay, he now is told he has to pay 5% more.

let's forget about morality/ethics - this is completely against all ebay/paypal rules.

how much more obvious does anything have to be?

Geez, if we were talking I would say LISTEN, in here I have to say READ. Personally I was NOT talking about the initial poster's case. We strayed from that and started writing about sellers charging PayPal fees in general and THAT is what I am talking about. Please pay attention. Of course Ezekiel's treatment was inappropriate. I most certainly AGREE with that. That seller WAS NOT up front. ------Sid

I was just looking for the proper shipping verbiage to include in my next setof auctions 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Sorry guys, I just don't see the problem here with sellers being up front about the "PayPal" fees. Now before jumping down my throat I am just talking my opinion, I realize that it is against the rules and illegal in some areas. Why just NOT do business with a seller that has policies that you do not agree with? Just avoid that seller. OK? Problem solved. If enough people feel that way then that seller will do no business and then have to change some of his policies. I have paid this fee once or twice but have gone into the transaction knowing this in advance. We ALL have knowingly overpaid for shipping now and then realizing that the seller is pocketing a little shipping profit. Just yesterday I paid $4.00 media mail to ship seven comics. Costs $2.50 tops, add 50 cents for a padded envelope or small box (maybe) and the seller profits a buck. That's OK, I knew it going in. Vote with your dollars. Sellers will get the point. Stay away from dealers whose policies you do not like, just like stores that have high prices, or restaurants that have bad food or required tipping. ------Sid

Well it may just be "your opinion" but it is WRONG to charge people paypal fees so why let someone do that to you? You should have taken a stand and confronted the seller about his policy breaking practices and not let him get away with it.You paying the paypal fees just let him know that he should continue to do this to other buyers.What you did was say OK to someone who was doing somthing wrong.You can't do anything about sellers overcharging on shipping except not buy from them but the people who are charging extra for paypal are BREAKING THE EBAY RULES.I am surpised that anyone on here with all the scammers and rip-off artist posts would stand for something like this and gladly pay it. 893frustrated.gif

On my next auctions I think I will try "shipping is $20.00 becuase the price of gas has gone up and I have to drive to the post office to ship your package" or "I need new tires on my car to drive your package to the post office so shipping will be $25.00"

On my next auctions I think I will try "shipping is $20.00 becuase the price of gas has gone up and I have to drive to the post office to ship your package" or "I need new tires on my car to drive your package to the post office so shipping will be $25.00"

This is even better... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think I'll let you guys write my shipping terms for me thumbsup2.gif

Uncle Ben, I understand your point of view and I don't really disagree with it, it is just that for me personally, I either accept the terms laid out in front or I don't. There have been many times that I have passed on an item that I wanted just because I did not like either the shipping fees/policies or something else that just did not "sound right" regarding extra fees. And I know that charging PayPal fees is against the rules, I just don't think it should be. I see nothing wrong with asking the buyer to at least split the fee for the convenience of both parties as those PayPal fees really can add up, as you know.

This brings me to another point. I believe that it should be the SELLER'S responsibility to insure items and not the buyer's. And most of my transactions on Ebay are as a seller. I believe that it is the seller's responsibility to make sure the item that was paid for is delivered safely and should assume the insurance burden. Why should the buyer have to pay for a shipper's packaging incompetence (assuming the package might be damaged due to poor packaging-which is usually the case when there is damage)? Of course that could be made up in higher shipping fees. But still, because everyone else does it I still charge buyers for insurance if they want it since that is what they are used to, but I still think it should be the other way around. ----Sid

I really saw this one (similar circumstance) awhile ago!!

I like to bid on auctions that have a clear photo, nice description and a flat rate shipping charge or a little extra for insurance. With the comic business such an elastic market, I wouldn't dream of complicating things further. Have you seen the addendum for Showcase NE lately? If I have to read too much I move on to other items. I am going to start listing comics at 1 cent with no reserve, $4.00 flat shipping priority/insured, paypal or United States Postal Money Order only. Do we have a thread/place on the boards to list new auction updates? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif