• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stock market is up. Asset allocation = time to sell comics?

120 posts in this topic

time to sell comics?

The time to sell was 18 months ago before the big economic tsunami hit. Prices on most books post 1966 have taken a tumble since then.

You really think so, George? UHG BA is through the roof. I've been wanting to pick up some UHG copies of the 20 and 25 cent BA Marvels that I bought off the newsstand when I was a kid, but everything seems to cost $300 or more, and sometimes over $1000. If this reflects a downturn, I'd hate to see what prices were like 18 months ago.

time to sell comics?

The time to sell was 18 months ago before the big economic tsunami hit. Prices on most books post 1966 have taken a tumble since then.

You really think so, George? UHG BA is through the roof. I've been wanting to pick up some UHG copies of the 20 and 25 cent BA Marvels that I bought off the newsstand when I was a kid, but everything seems to cost $300 or more, and sometimes over $1000. If this reflects a downturn, I'd hate to see what prices were like 18 months ago.

The 9.8s have been the exception. :gossip: 9.0-9.4 and some 9.6 have softened.

time to sell comics?

I don't know what prices you are looking at Tim, but prices on the vast majority of 9.2s/9.4s/9.6s I track are down across the board.

9.8s are a different matter, but there has been some weakness there too.

Just depends on what you're looking at, I suppose.

BTW, if you need HG Marvels, come see my thread this weekend...lots of high grade BA books, including keys. And I'll even ship to Hong Kong. :baiting:

Will do!

I've been tracking 9.6 and 9.8 picture frame Marvels in various auctions over the last 6 months, and have just been blown away by the prices they're going for. I've never even come close to being the underbidder.

time to sell comics?

I don't know what prices you are looking at Tim, but prices on the vast majority of 9.2s/9.4s/9.6s I track are down across the board.

BTW, if you need HG Marvels, come see my thread this weekend...lots of high grade BA books, including keys. And I'll even ship to Hong Kong. :baiting:

Excuse my ignorance since I know little about HG anything.

Is it possible that pressing is creating vast numbers of HG books that are depreciating the value of anything but the highest grades?

time to sell comics?

Is it possible that pressing is creating vast numbers of HG books that are depreciating the value of anything but the highest grades?

I don't think its only the pressing phenomenon exclusively.

I've seen many books in 9.4+ holders slabbed in the last two years that never should've made it past CGC's Quality Control review. However, judging by some recent value tier submissions, and the onsite grading at Chicago, things have been tightened down in Sarasota.

So, yes, Pressing + moderately loose grading standards = more high grade supply.

I agree with George, and Joe Collector.

Not sure many of you have seen this, but you should take a look.http://www.shadowstats.com/

Bureau of Labor Statistics quote about 17% Unemployment, while Shadow Gov't Stats are over 21%. I'm a small business owner, and see it on the little end as opposed to big gov't. I dabble in Stocks, but am pretty knowledgable because most of my friends do options/futures. The last 6mo's have been great for stocks, hence the lowering of most collectibles, not just comics. But October is well known for quarterly losses in the market. So we'll have to wait, and see what happens. Personally I've just sold all my stocks, because I'm chicken little as of late.

Where's Gene (Delekreste) when we need him.

I am not so sure this is a suckers rally in stocks. I think they might go down but I would be extremely shocked if they retraced more than 50%. If they went back to their March lows, that would surprise me more than anything. I see stocks being valued fairly right now while comics are still priced beyond my comprehension.

I just went to about 80% cash the last few weeks. My wife is lightening up also. Just dont like anything I'm hearing.

DRX

Yeah, I was at 20% cash but over the last month, I have gone to 50%. No need to be overexposed while stocks are just fairly valued (at least I think they are fairly valued). I will put more money to work on pullbacks though...

time to sell comics?

So, yes, Pressing + moderately loose grading standards = more high grade supply.

and with demand a flat line = lower prices

Hard commodities have in some cases doubled or more than doubled and although there are performers everywhere I would definitely NOT say we are in good shape.

When I look at stocks like Manulife and other companies who's stock values have been cut in half or less, and major automotive manufacturers who are barely breathing I find it impossible to see anything positive about our economic outlook.

time to sell comics?

The time to sell was 18 months ago before the big economic tsunami hit. Prices on most books post 1966 have taken a tumble since then. Selling these books now, especially those that are going for less then the cost of certification, seems to be a strategy of dubious value.

(thumbs u

The time to BUY approaches, and the only sales should be out of need or distress.

Or at the price you want. If not at that price, don't sell. Simple. Don't get desperate. Don't start auctions on $500 books at 99 cents with no reserve.

I'm glad to have gotten back half of the 50% my 401K lost

I feel like I'm playing with fire trying to cash out to play a potential sucker's rally given that I have 20 years before I touch it.

Then again, if I had cashed out on time in 2000 and 2007 and timed my reentry perfectly I guess I would be a lot closer to retiring.

I did put $15K of non-401K money into QQQ when Nasdaq was at 1200-1400 post 9/11 and cashed out 11/2006, so I did a nice almost doubling on that.