• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny panel from Spire comic

13 posts in this topic

We just got a lot of Spire Christian comics. They aren't in great shape..but some of them are..amusing..

I would think it would be like collecting Chick booklets. Sometimes when they make them up they aren't really putting a lot of thought into the content.

87410.jpg.8fa750d0c4b730979067d92c3c91aba8.jpg

87411.jpg.e71bb084493c94732eecb288a06f501d.jpg

Good ol' Al Hartley. Maybe that slang term wasn't prevalent in the early 1970's.

And yes, there is some wacky stuff in the Jack Chick tracts too.

"Snatch Comics" was published 1968-69 and it didn't mean "swipe" -- the slang had been around for a while!

Just somebody making a funny?

Jack

I seriously doubt this was an attempt on anyone's part at deliberate vulgarity: Al Hartley was probably more than just slightly square, and thought it sounded hip (there are similar attempts at using kid/teen slang in his Spire Archie comics as well). And to most of his audience--the Christian elementary school-aged kids who were the target for these books--it wouldn't have meant anything other than "suddenly seized or taken", which is precisely what is happening to the people in the picture. But I am surprised that an editor or someone at the publisher didn't catch it and suggest a better phrase...

There is mention in the book about one of the signs of the apocalypse being drug fueled anti Jesus occult activity. IOt quotes scripture it is supposed to be based on, but my Bible didctionary interpets the scripture differently.

One of my favorite Chick books (Chic or Chick?) was one based on psychic Sylvia Brown. I forget the title of it but it was very weird. It basically said that mediums WERE actually foretelling the future with the help of demons. That the Ghost whisperers were doing the same. Channeling some demon that gave them answers from the dead. The trouble is I don't really think many of those people are legit. Much less getting real answers from beyond from evil creatures.

My ex landlord's wife would leave Chick booklets everywhere around/by/near my apartment.

The girl with the headlights in the foreground is well she makes it more funny..

Not to mention that the kid is going to be able to see up her dress when she flies up in the air like that. :eek:

Hence, the "Great Snatch"

We just got a lot of Spire Christian comics. They aren't in great shape..but some of them are..amusing..

I would think it would be like collecting Chick booklets. Sometimes when they make them up they aren't really putting a lot of thought into the content.

"nice beaver"

87445.jpg.74e3ca85784abbf6733adaec515c5cca.jpg

I seriously doubt this was an attempt on anyone's part at deliberate vulgarity: Al Hartley was probably more than just slightly square, and thought it sounded hip (there are similar attempts at using kid/teen slang in his Spire Archie comics as well). And to most of his audience--the Christian elementary school-aged kids who were the target for these books--it wouldn't have meant anything other than "suddenly seized or taken", which is precisely what is happening to the people in the picture. But I am surprised that an editor or someone at the publisher didn't catch it and suggest a better phrase...

Maybe you were referring to this, Mike, I don't know, but the "suddenly seized or taken" idea is definitely a reference to the so-called "rapture" (a theological interpretation from the scriptures that has kind of gone mainstream in recent years). Lately it's been due, in part, to the success of those "Left Behind" novels. Going back to the early '70s, it was out there in a big way because of this "Late Great Planet Earth" book by Hal Lindsey, a non-fiction book that reportedly was the best-selling non-fiction book in the '70s.

My understanding of the rapture as a theological interpretation is that it is a relatively new one (19th century?) and not something that has been in the church psyche for very long. Although I hear some argue it has been around since the early centuries. :shrug: For what it's worth, one of the dictionary definitions says this about "rapture": "in some Christian theologies, the bodily ascent into heaven just before Armageddon for those who are saved."

And flowing from this, is the idea represented in the comic "snatch" panel (:whistle:) of the "unsaved" being "left behind"--i.e., the fella exclaiming, "W-what's going on???"

"nice beaver"

"Thank you. I just had it stuffed."