• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest Graded Copy

41 posts in this topic

Alright here's another one. So I violated my own rule and posted two so open'er up. As far as the snobbery of HGC, I personally think its fun. When it comes to a 10.0 on a Valiant issue you can count me out. For me its nice to see 4 or 5 Golden Age issues graded and you have the highest one even as a 9.0 or 9.2

Since one rule I'll add another. If its the only book graded it has to at least be a 6.0 as a Golden Age. This WDCS is a 9.2 BTW. Love the minor key issues of Disney books, very undervalued in high grade IMO.

Ed

wdcs88.jpg

Your right, I might regret it . I know you are being humorous but I do like the high grade stuff but I see very little difference between a 9.4 and 9.8 and too much room for subjectivity that isn't worth the mammoth differences in price. Its not worth it to me. I do however love the 8.5-9.4 beauties that mystify you in how they could have survived in that shape for 40+ years. Throw in that there is no better copy and it just seems fun. Also the risk that there may be a better copy out there and you don't know about it also lends for some fun.

By the way, it's actually rarer to see a 9.9 from the 1990s

than it is to see a 9.6 from the 1940s... 893whatthe.gif

For the 1940s...

there are 1,053 books graded Universal 9.6 or higher (3.76%).

For the 1990s...

there are only 779 books graded Univeral 9.9 or 10.0 (2.26%).

Interesting, I wonder what the percentages would be if every book in existance were sent to CGC? While I do see a part of why a 9.9 or 10 is exciting to collect, it starts to become too technical that it just doesn't matter to me at that point. I like how an 8.0 is better than a 6.0 because the 6 has a crease. A 9.4 is better than a 9.0 because of zero spine transverse lines. A 9.9 vs a 9.6 is better, why? The razor sharpness at a corner was much cleaner. A micro impression on the back cover. A finger print on the cover gloss. At some point I start to roll my eyes. More power to the collector who demands perfection and pays for it.

Me, I'll take the rarety of the # of comics available at all over the rarity of the # of comics in a specific grade. Plus, I just like the artwork of the older stuff better, its more to my tastes.

Interesting, I wonder what the percentages would be if every book in existance were sent to CGC?

Yep... that's the key point...

Right now it's rarer to see a CGC 9.9 from the 1990s...

but that probably won't always be true.

And you're right... most CGC 9.8s for moderns are already perfect.

I posted this back in '02 but thought I'd show it to the new Disney

fans who have joined since: one of my favorite books. If anyone has

pre-Barks WDC&S for sale in VF+ up, I will pay very well (throw the

guide out the window and do a search at GPAnalysis for prices - I

have either won or been underbidder on almost every high grade

copy that has sold in the last few years).

wdcs27.jpg

I am a big fan of Barks but have decided to branch out and collect

early DCs instead. The early Four Colors are starting to approach

5 figures in grade and I just feel that I can get more value for my

money in other areas. I'll continue to upgrade my early Disneys

and expand my collection of Barks originals but otherwise I want

to focus on pre-hero and key DC comics.

Oh, my achin' eyebulbs! That's a beautiful WDC&S 27, hkp...! Personally I'm only aiming to get the Barks issues (31 on), but if someday that quest is completed, I might then try to expand backward to # 1... which by then will run me 5 figures in low grade, most likely frown.gif

If at some point you're looking to unload some of the books you've upgraded on, I'd be interested... I have plenty of holes in my WDC&S run below issue 90 or so...

I'm not a Duck collector, but that really is a great cover! I loved the Barks stories when I was a kid (from the reprints in the old digests), and should probably use my own children as an excuse to start buying the current reprints.