• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Woman....silver or bronze

130 posts in this topic

I have a rather simple question (i think). At what issue is considered the end of the silver age in Wonder Woman books? Is it a price change, the issue where she loses her power of maybe the issue she gets her powers back.

Well, it may not be such a simple answer. :) Wonder Woman's "powerless" phase (which I personally liked a lot), ran from mid 1968 to late 1972. With the beginning of the Bronze Age taking place around 1970 (depending on who you are listening to), I would say that no issue--at least no key issue--corresponds to the end of the Silver Age.

Yeah, the mod Diana Prince WW is one of those rule-breakers that will never comfortably fit into either period. If pressed, I'd draw the line at the final issue Mike Sekowsky edited, wrote & pencilled, #196 in late 1971. After that, there were a couple of reprint issues, then Denny O'Neil became the writer/editor for the remainder of the "I-Ching" run.

But I doubt that rationale will really be satisfying to anyone else... :sorry:

Thank you, Zonker. That makes a lot of sense. I went back and reread some of the issues in this time frame and suspect that there might be two "turning points." The first, which you mention, is the point at which Wonder Woman leaves the Silver Age. The second is the point at which Wonder Woman enters the Bronze Age. In the same way that Green Lantern / Green Arrow 76 is thought to usher in the bronze age with the "socially relevant" theme, perhaps Wonder Woman 203 would be the analogous issue in that franchise. In GL 76, the villain of the piece is a slum lord—right? In WW 203 the arch villain is an evil store owner who does not pay equal wages to women! Egads—what a vile creature! Both are strong departures from the usual superhero fare, and a step into the "concerns" of the 70's.

I'm a little late in replying to this one but here goes... Personally I'd cut the end of Silver age for Wonder Woman a lot earlier than most at issue 179 which is the November/December 1968 issue. While from date perspective it falls about a year before the cutting point for the Silver/Bronze deliniation it's about the cleanest cut in the story line and ushers in the strongest venture into women in, at that time, modern America.

Lets turn this into a Silver Age Wonder Woman cover thread!!!

Here is what I consider the begining of Diana's Silver Age..a new origin for Lt. Diana Prince by Andru & Esposito.

ww_98a.jpg

This is one of THE best black background outer space covers, IMHO!

ww_99a.jpg

Another duplicate Wonder Women...this theme shows up alot in the SA!

ww_100a.jpg

Here are some group shots of my Silver Age Wonder Woman's. I left the spaces where I'm missing the issues. 8 more issues and I'll have a complete silver age run. I'm only missing issues 90, 91, 93, 95, 96, 103, 106 and 107. Once I get more batteries for the camera I'll take some more group shots.

Wonder Woman 85-99

WW85-99.jpg

Wonder Woman 100-114

WW100-114.jpg

Wonder Woman 115-124

WW115-124.jpg

Diana does her impression of Triplicate Girl!

WW_102.jpg

Even Rocky has a Montage...

WW_103.jpg

One of my all-time favorite Andru/Esposito covers! It really gives you a sense of vertigo. It also has the signature "female in distress losing her shoe" motif -- a favorite of A&E!

WW_104.jpg

Great books ther ignimbrite! I may have to knock on your door about some of your duplicates hehe.

I am more of a 'trader' than a 'seller' but we can always talk. If you (or anyone else) has a copy of #178 they would be willing to sell/trade let me know. I have two 9.2 copies (one a PGX and the other a CGC) and would really like to upgrade.