• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short Nashville Comic and Horror Con report

20 posts in this topic

Every year Nashville has a small horror and comic convention during the weeks before Halloween. It's fairly small, with maybe 20 dealers, but I always find great stuff there and this year was no exception.

I got there as it opened and stopped by Big Mike's table. We talked for awhile and I picked up a decent Marvel bronze horror book from him. Next up was Leroy Harper, who had brought his 6.0 Weird Mysteries 5 for me to look at. Nice book, but at $1500 he wanted a little more than I felt comfortable paying. I may break down sometime in the future though, as that issue is fairly tough to find. I picked up a nice pictureframe Avengers from him and kept looking.

Against the far wall were a few small dealers, several of whom had never set up at a show before. One man owned a shop in Georgia, but had brought along his personal silver age collection which had never been for sale before. His prices were very aggressive, but I found a NM FF 73 which he had badly undergraded at 8.0/8.5 and a TTA 55 that's one of the freshest SA Marvels I have ever seen. Just a stunning copy. Bought both for slabbing at a nice price and headed to the next booth.

This guy was obviously a local and had just brought some random stuff he had sitting around. I pulled a Thor 146 out of his box that is damn near perfect. Easy 9.6, possible 9.8, that he had priced at $30. Couldn't believe it and it went directly into the "to slab" pile when I got home. As I was paying, I saw a stack of moderns behind his table. This 9.2/9.4 beauty was on top, priced at a whopping $85. Obviously I couldn't get the cash out of my wallet fast enough. This book easily made the show for me and is a definite keeper.

bone1.jpg

By that time Larry (karma23) had shown up and we had a quick smoke and then walked the con a little more. He picked up a few nice war books, a great looking Subby 1 from Big Mike and a killer Avengers from the same dealer I bought the FF and TTA from. I also ran into Jeff (Finecomics) who passed on a bit of Goon related knowledge to me.

Having seen all of the comic stuff, it was time to dig for horror movies. Found a copy of Night of the Comet for $1, so that went into the bag. I was also thrilled to find a DVDR of Rawhead Rex, a krappy 80s horror movie that a buddy of mine from back home has been looking for. Also bought a DVDR of The Keep, a movie based on a F. Paul Wilson book I really enjoyed.

After that I headed home and was sorry to hear that the show will no longer be held at the TN State Fairgounds, as they are apparently closing. :(

It was a fun way to spend the afternoon for sure. The guy from Dalton, GA definitely had some nice stuff. I was really stunned by the quality of the Avengers 80 that I picked up from him.

Big Mike made the show for me with the Subby 1 though, thanks again Mike!

Great report, That Bone is an amazing find. I would love to see the other books.

Pic doesn't do them justice, but here they are.

books.jpg

Picture, scan. no matter what those are very sweet copies :cloud9:

show was pretty good-- attendance was down a bit over last year but (shrug) -- was a ton of blowout books in the room -- that Bone Andy picked up is a sweeeeet copy -- I had pretty good sales overall and was happy -- myself , I only picked up one single book for $5

Hey October,

You should have introduced yourself!!!

You bought the Bone and the Thor from me. The Thor was offered with a scan to the boardies several weeks ago. It came from a guy who sold me some other nice books, just as good. Once I get to a 9.0, its hard for me to grade it better than that.

The Bone price paid for the entire collection it came out of including some other good books. You were the third guy to look at it.

Sorta a local as I grew up in Nashville. I did the show at the last minute and with little time to pack up.

Hey October,

You should have introduced yourself!!!

You bought the Bone and the Thor from me. The Thor was offered with a scan to the boardies several weeks ago. It came from a guy who sold me some other nice books, just as good. Once I get to a 9.0, its hard for me to grade it better than that.

The Bone price paid for the entire collection it came out of including some other good books. You were the third guy to look at it.

Sorta a local as I grew up in Nashville. I did the show at the last minute and with little time to pack up.

I had no idea that you were a board member!

I can't believe I was the third person to look at the Bone. To me it was a no-brainer, but it's definitely a niche book. Everyone I showed it to at the show had no idea why I was so happy. lol

Well all those books that came from the collection were smoke smelly for sure as the guy who had them was a heavy heavy heavy smoker. I threw away a few books that were covered in some unknown gunk which I think to be cat puke.

ANyone interested, I still have a bone 2 thru around 7 or so and then sporadic after that. all in different grades I would be happy to scan.

so october what is the bone really worth?

I was there! :banana:

Very few Ninja Turtle books to be had, but had a good time nonetheless!

If it is 9.4-9.6, a ton of bread, between 1 and 2k according to GPA. There are several up on C-Link right now also, I believe.

After a second look in better light, it's not quite a 9.2/9.4. The front is beautiful, but the back has some NCB thumb dents, spine stress and whatnot. It's worth a lot less that $1-2k I think. Probably $400-600. Still a nice copy, just not quite in the NM range.

Regardless, can't believe 2-3 people passed on it before me. (shrug)

ah well that sucks for me then, thought it might be a 150 or so book.

one guy came back to buy it after october got it though.

Yeah I knew about those dents and stuff so thats why I never put it much past a VF.