• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you tell a newbie what pressing is?

30 posts in this topic

Seriously there should be a sticky describing what pressing is and a youtube clip to show what is is. this way we wouldn`t get constant threads about it. they just would go to the sticky. similar to How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad. I am surprised there is no FAQS about it in this day of age.

There is an excellent video tutorial available:

a big thank you He11blazer! (thumbs u

that would be perfect to put into a sticky. show the uninformed, you can explain it a thousand times but a video is much more effective then word.

Seriously there should be a sticky describing what pressing is and a youtube clip to show what is is. this way we wouldn`t get constant threads about it. they just would go to the sticky. similar to How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad. I am surprised there is no FAQS about it in this day of age.

Since CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration, why would they place such a stickied thread on their own message boards?

Just sayin'

I don't know if the Phantom Presser video is a much a "tutorial", rather than a simple demonstration. There is a lot more time that goes into successfully pressing a book than what is shown in either of the Phantom's videos.

Anyway, telling someone who doesn't already know what pressing is, is just asking for blank stares lol

Since CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration, why would they place such a stickied thread on their own message boards?

Just sayin'

very good point Jeffro! I never thought of it that way but with the money that`s being made from pressing makes for a good sticky faq.there should be a faq that tells how to press,what to look for in a pressed book,why pressing is controversial and the pros and cons of pressing. one good sticky faq about it.

How about this

Pressing is a process that removes or makes less severe different types of creases, indents, spine roll, and waviness to increase the technical grade or in the case of spine roll removal to actually conserve it.

This can be done through a myriad of procedures that range from simply putting a book under a heavy weight to complete dis assembly of the book. It can involve either heat or moisture,or both, or neither. It can involve a laminate type heat press, a cold library type book press, or a large weight. Or it might not even involve weight, or a press at all and be treated more locally with a tacking iron, or your fingernail for that matter.

All that youtube video is good for is a laugh and to teach people how to cook books.

How about this

Pressing is a process that removes or makes less severe different types of creases, indents, spine roll, and waviness to increase the technical grade or in the case of spine roll removal to actually conserve it.

This can be done through a myriad of procedures that range from simply putting a book under a heavy weight to complete dis assembly of the book. It can involve heat, moisture or both, or neither. It can involve a laminate type heat press, a cold library type book press, or a large weight. Or it might not even involve weight, or a press at all and be treated more locally with a tacking iron, or your fingernail for that matter.

All that youtube video is good for is a laugh and teach people how to cook books.

I know but more people will watch and remember a youtube video than what you just wrote. your definition is outstanding but the majority of people need a youtube video to understand.The new generation is much more visual. that`s the way it is. example.I can write how to install a plasma tv on a wall but showing a youtube video of the plasma installation would be better and easier for someone to understand.

To use the search function that doesnt work. Or that it is a form of restoration that can not be detected most of the time, and is used to remove certain flaws for either restoration or conservation of a book.

That it is a process that can not be detected if it is done correctly

To use the search function that doesnt work. Or that it is a form of restoration that can not be detected most of the time, and is used to remove certain flaws for either restoration or conservation of a book.

That it is a process that can not be detected if it is done correctly

Well, I think "done correctly" is an opinion in this instance. Lets say you have a book that has three color breaking spine creases. You get the book pressed. Is it correct to flatten the color breaking creases? Or is correct to leave the color breaking creases unflattened? Leaving them unflattened will make it so that it is not as easy to detect if the book has been pressed. Flattening them will make for a more effective pressing, but allow for easier detection. Is there a right or wrong way to do this? Would flattening them be the wrong way? Just a matter of opinion, I'd say. :whatev:

How about this

This can be done through a myriad of procedures that range from simply putting a book under a heavy weight to complete dis assembly of the book. It can involve either heat or moisture,or both, or neither. It can involve a laminate type heat press, a cold library type book press, or a large weight. Or it might not even involve weight, or a press at all and be treated more locally with a tacking iron, or your fingernail for that matter.

Too wordy. :baiting: Just kidding. :D

Here's my personal take on it...

Pressing: Manipulating "grade" via the properties and attributes of paper that grading ignores. Various treatments and techniques used to correct non-damaged paper-states.