• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you tell a newbie what pressing is?

30 posts in this topic

How about this

Pressing is a process that removes or makes less severe different types of creases, indents, spine roll, and waviness to increase the technical grade or in the case of spine roll removal to actually conserve it.

This can be done through a myriad of procedures that range from simply putting a book under a heavy weight to complete dis assembly of the book. It can involve either heat or moisture,or both, or neither. It can involve a laminate type heat press, a cold library type book press, or a large weight. Or it might not even involve weight, or a press at all and be treated more locally with a tacking iron, or your fingernail for that matter.

Great definition! :applause:

Factual and free of bias - perfect for a FAQ.

I know but more people will watch and remember a youtube video than what you just wrote. your definition is outstanding but the majority of people illiterate dumbasses need a youtube video to understand.The new generation is much more visual. that`s the way it is. example.I can write how to install a plasma tv on a wall but showing a youtube video of the plasma installation would be better and easier for someone to understand.

I fixed your statement because the "new generation" is just as visual as any previous human generation. Yes, visual communication is a quicker and more efficient way to learn something regardless of age, but if you're implying the "new generation" can't read worth a mess, you're wrong. I've seen no evidence their reading comprehension is significantly worse than previous generations. :makepoint:

I know but more people will watch and remember a youtube video than what you just wrote. your definition is outstanding but the majority of people illiterate dumbasses need a youtube video to understand.The new generation is much more visual. that`s the way it is. example.I can write how to install a plasma tv on a wall but showing a youtube video of the plasma installation would be better and easier for someone to understand.

I fixed your statement because the "new generation" is just as visual as any previous human generation. Yes, visual communication is a quicker and more efficient way to learn something regardless of age, but if you're implying the "new generation" can't read worth a mess, you're wrong. I've seen no evidence their reading comprehension is significantly worse than previous generations. :makepoint:

I work at and also am a part-time student at a university and I can confidently say you are wrong. :makepoint: most of my fellow students can`t tell you who JFK is but can tell you who won American Idol. everybody I know can work an ipod but would have trouble reading a comic book. ;) no one has attention span/time to sift thru things. we live in a multi-task world.Show me now or don`t waste my time, I will find the easiest way attitude. It`s not how hard you work but how smart you work attitude. ;)

most of my fellow students can`t tell you who JFK is but can tell you who won American Idol.

I believe you, but people not being well-read has been true throughout history, long before television or computers. I've seen no evidence the small percentage of well-read intellectuals has gotten smaller over the last few decades.

most of my fellow students can`t tell you who JFK is but can tell you who won American Idol.

I believe you, but people not being well-read has been true throughout history, long before television or computers. I've seen no evidence the small percentage of well-read intellectuals has gotten smaller over the last few decades.

Who won American Idol?

Who won American Idol?

What's American Idol?

Who won American Idol?

JFK.

yeah but don`t feel bad for my fellow college mates,thier parents have bought them $2000 mac apple laptops, expensive cellphones and they all drive nice cars.

now if only thier parents would buy them high grade cgc comics. :)