• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics and my wife............

67 posts in this topic

My girlfriend collecting Sailor moon stuff is the greatest thing to EVER happen to me! hahaha. It's hard to find in comic shops and at conventions, so when we do find stuff it's like she won the lottery.

It's fun because she WANTS to go to the local comic shops more than I do sometimes and the prospect of finding stuff at comic cons makes her as excited to make a day of it as much as I am!!

There's one small downside....She steals my damn MYLARS!!!! I keep telling her she can use the polybags until she's blue in the face, but at least spare my mylars lol

Thats the problem. She doesn't want to read trades. It looks to much like a book to her. I have about 60 trades at home. She prefers the single issue books because it looks smaller

------------

oy, the fables 1-5 TPB is like an hour read, tops, and that's if you're in the car distracted by an insane 4 year old

Thats the problem. She doesn't want to read trades. It looks to much like a book to her. I have about 60 trades at home. She prefers the single issue books because it looks smaller

------------

oy, the fables 1-5 TPB is like an hour read, tops, and that's if you're in the car distracted by an insane 4 year old

I know that. You know that. However she doesn't understand that. I tried to explain to her that a trade is the same as X amount of books. I would show her both and she still prefers the normal comics.

fables 1 as a beater and 2 - 10 in less than NM should probably cost no more than the TPBs anyway though, it's just a matter of tracking them down. actually, there's a reprint of #1 you should be able to find in a 50 cent box.

maybe someone here has some well worn copies?

I had my wife read Watchmen (before the movie), Identity Crisis, and the CSI mini-series. She like all of them. On a whim I picked up a few old Pink Panther comics and gave them to her for her birthday. She loved them.

Tried and successful with wife who does not usually like comics

Amazing Spider-man 248 - The Kid Who Collects Spider-man

then you can go on to other spidey-stories

Mage - The Hero Discovered (the original series Mage series) Matt Wagner

I think it was 12 issues and now in trade. Funny at times, heroic at times, and sad at times.

JLA 45 the issue where Guy and Ice go on a date.

Once she reads ASM 248 and sees what a good comic story is she will want more.

If she likes humor go with JLA 45 and explain how Guy is a mentally damaged tool and Ice is the sweet innocent princess. Then you can get her into a mini-series like Mage.

The hard part is getting something she will like. If she doesn't like the first comics she reads you can give it up. Sturgeon's Law goes up to 99.9999% with wives and comics.

So my wife is going to try to take an interest in comics. However, I don't know what comic to start her on. She HATES reading, she loves comedies and she loves action. I was thinking something on the lines of Spider-man or Deadpool because I know both of them are funny.

I don't know of a specific Spider-man story arch that is really funny. I haven't read any Deadpool comics. I only read comics where he is featured in something that I was already reading.

If anyone has any info on a good comic to start with, please let me know. Trade paperbacks intimedate her because of how large they are. So if you have a good story arch of a funny character with a lot of action let me know. Thanks for the help!

Wait a minute. She hates reading?

Perfect. Start her on something by Bendis.

(thumbs u

The key is to find something that matches their interest, not a superhero book that kind of fits what she likes.

This is a good suggestion.

Just take a walk through a well stocked comic shop and spend a lazy afternoon flipping through comics, trades and stuff. Something will catch her eye.

(thumbs u

Nice move on behalf of the wife, I am afraid I would put my money on it not working. You need to be ready for a little disappointment when shes just not that into it. Been there.

However - if she is into scrap booking then why not go together to the 25 cent bin and let her pick out bunch of colorful drek, let her get the scissors and use them for scrap booking? If she gets into that you get to go to the local CB Store more often. Ask her to make you a collage or something.

Joe

The only Comics my wife ever read was Runaways and even then it was only because it was recomended by her friend whose husband also collect books. She does like grading though and enjoys telling me all my books are worthless and .

I would always suggest Sandman for guys to try if they were trying to get a gal into comic books. There is a story there that can be followed and pretty pictures to look at..but if she is not into reading..it's a tough sell all the way around..