• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love it when....

53 posts in this topic

Feel your pain.........

I have been buying magazines on ebay and most of those people just ship the magazine in a priority envelope :frustrated:

I now put in my paypal message " I collect/buy/sell based on condition. Please let me know if I need to add a few extra dollars for SAFE shipping. THANKS! -Steve"

Half the time they do not reply and just ship/damage the damn thing :(

I get in a box with seven or eight 9.6/9.8 original owner bronze book with virtually perfect spines. In this case it was Avengers 120-127. All of them just beautiful, with perfect white backs and pages and great gloss. The cherry on top is that I paid only $5-15 apiece for them. What a happy day!

Oh wait. That's what I WOULD have gotten if the seller hadn't stuffed the books into a flat rate box too small for them, resulting in the lower spine corners getting crushed on EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Awesome.

This has happened to me so many times on eBay that now (unless I'm buying drek or buying from a seller I know), I send a message along these lines: "I hope you don't take this message the wrong way, but, as you know, condition is of paramount importance to comic collectors. So, please pack my comics between two substantial pieces of cardboard (it's important that the cardboard be somewhat larger than the comics). They idea is to make sure that they arrive without being damaged in any way." Hard to say how much good this does. Some sellers have ignored it. In which case, if there is any damage, I get a refund and leave negative fb.

Someone sent me a book from Cali to NC in a regular # 4 envelope sandwhiched between just two backing boards....media mail w/ no dictation of "do not bend" etc., and somehow it made it here unscathed.....sent him a PM saying he was close to a neutral at best, claimed he's been doing that well before Ebay and has never had a problem,so I sent him another message that said "board a plane to Vegas and bet the house, because you are on a roll."

That sucks. It's sad when books that are still high grade after 30 years get damaged by some fool trying to save $1.49 in postage.

Or not having enough sense to cut the cardboard BIGGER than the fricking comic, not the same size. doh! Anyway, sorry about your books.

DRX

Feel your pain.........

I have been buying magazines on ebay and most of those people just ship the magazine in a priority envelope :frustrated:

I now put in my paypal message " I collect/buy/sell based on condition. Please let me know if I need to add a few extra dollars for SAFE shipping. THANKS! -Steve"

Damn hippies! :frustrated:

Someone sent me a book from Cali to NC in a regular # 4 envelope sandwhiched between just two backing boards....media mail w/ no dictation of "do not bend" etc., and somehow it made it here unscathed.....sent him a PM saying he was close to a neutral at best, claimed he's been doing that well before Ebay and has never had a problem,so I sent him another message that said "board a plane to Vegas and bet the house, because you are on a roll."

I've had the same response: "What are you talking about? I've been shipping comics this way for years, and you are the first person who has ever complained." lol

I get in a box with seven or eight 9.6/9.8 original owner bronze book with virtually perfect spines. In this case it was Avengers 120-127. All of them just beautiful, with perfect white backs and pages and great gloss. The cherry on top is that I paid only $5-15 apiece for them. What a happy day!

Oh wait. That's what I WOULD have gotten if the seller hadn't stuffed the books into a flat rate box too small for them, resulting in the lower spine corners getting crushed on EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Awesome.

This really, really sucks. Sorry to hear it, Andy. :pullhair:

Feel your pain.........

One thing I've started doing when I suspect the seller is winging it with items they're not used to dealing with, is to send a separate message through ebay with a packing method request, rather than putting it in the Paypal message. I think it's a lot harder for the seller to unintentionally miss it (but of course, if they just don't care, you're screwed anyway).

Man, that sucks! I got a SA Flash from an ebay seller once, bag & board in a manila envelope. And they got my address wrong! Somehow it arrived okay.

I see less and less reason to buy comics anywhere but here. Even getting comics at the NY convention wasn't as satisfying.

I tried to explain to someone on ebay how to sandwich the book between two pieces of cardboard. Instead, he placed a thick piece of cardboard in the centerfold. doh! When i recieved it, there was a 1/4" gap near the spine between the two centerfold pages. :frustrated:

I tried to explain to someone on ebay how to sandwich the book between two pieces of cardboard. Instead, he placed a thick piece of cardboard in the centerfold. doh! When i recieved it, there was a 1/4" gap near the spine between the two centerfold pages. :frustrated:

:o Now thats the work of a sheer genius. WTF.

DRX

Was the seller Bizarro? "Him ask for cardboard on out side of comic. Bizarro put cardboard in centerfold"

Was the seller Bizarro? "Him ask for cardboard on out side of comic. Bizarro put cardboard in centerfold"

I don't remember. It was back in 2002.

I've had the same response: "What are you talking about? I've been shipping comics this way for years, and you are the first person who has ever complained." lol

:roflmao:

How prophetic. Here is his response to my email.

Andy,

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about the damage. I've shipped a couple hundred books and never had a problem before.

What I'd like to offer is a full refund for the damaged books plus half the shipping.

I'll also send you a self-addressed envelope so that you can return the damaged books.

Let me know if this is acceptable to you