• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much longer do I have to wait?

30 posts in this topic

Sold most of my old comics off 3-4 years ago because I was buying a house. I have been waiting for comics to drop in price so I could start restoring my collection. I haven't noticed any significant drop in value. If anything, I keep seeing threads about record prices achieved.

How bad does the economy need to get before comics come down in price?

Non-keys from the silver age are the lowest they're going to be, most likely.

The other thing that's not truly fair is that a new "record" doesn't necessarily mean it's the highest paid. Inflation is a very real thing in our economy going forward, recession or not, and 2009 dollars (and soon to be 2010 dollars) won't be worth nearly as much as 2000 dollars.

Sold most of my old comics off 3-4 years ago because I was buying a house. I have been waiting for comics to drop in price so I could start restoring my collection. I haven't noticed any significant drop in value. If anything, I keep seeing threads about record prices achieved.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

2010,that's when the crash is coming.

I assume from your observations that you collect high grade silver and/or high grade bronze keys?

Yes, mostly bronze keys with some silver keys thrown in. Such as;

ASM #14 9.0

Hulk 181 9.4

Marvel Spotlight #5 9.4

Amazing Adventures #11 9.6 White

ASM #136 9.6 White

ASM #129 9.4 OW/W

I have been waiting for comics to drop in price so I could start restoring my collection. I haven't noticed any significant drop in value. If anything, I keep seeing threads about record prices achieved.

Collect moderns (thumbs u

Prices are going down all the time

Iron Man #128 CGC 9.8 sold for $2000 less than a year ago

It sold for $522 on Comiclink last night

Same thing for ASM #301, GI Joe #21, Daredevil #158 & 168, Captain America Annual #8, etc.

The slide in prices is relentless

I have been waiting for comics to drop in price so I could start restoring my collection. I haven't noticed any significant drop in value. If anything, I keep seeing threads about record prices achieved.

Same thing for ASM #301, GI Joe #21, Daredevil #158 & 168, Captain America Annual #8, etc.

I had all of those except IM #128. That is a nice book. Wouldn't pay $2000 or even $522 for it though.

I had all of those except IM #128. That is a nice book. Wouldn't pay $2000 or even $522 for it though.

Just wait another year and you will be able to buy one for $100

I assume from your observations that you collect high grade silver and/or high grade bronze keys?

ASM #14 9.0

Hulk 181 9.4

Marvel Spotlight #5 9.4

ASM #136 9.6 White

ASM #129 9.4 OW/W

Probably want to try to get back in on those somewhat soon. Those books are mostly "recession proof."

Just wait another year and you will be able to buy one for $100

:wishluck:

I suggest collecting what you like..Not so much whats going up in value..If you can afford the keys in top grade go for it. If your a collector then buy what you like

Moderns are NOT a good investment IMO.If you looking to make money in comics stay with older stuff.Supply and demand of course drives the market but there is a glut of modern and as more collectors enter the market the silver and key bronze is drying up.Only so many books to go around where as moderns,,EH not so much their all over the place cheap

For what its worth 2c

ASM #14 9.0

Hulk 181 9.4

Marvel Spotlight #5 9.4

ASM #136 9.6 White

ASM #129 9.4 OW/W

Probably want to try to get back in on those somewhat soon. Those books are mostly "recession proof."

Right now I am content to just buy my moderns ever Wednesday to read. If those prices for bronze and silver remain "recession proof" I will probably just not get back into the collecting game.

I suggest collecting what you like..Not so much whats going up in value..If you can afford the keys in top grade go for it. If your a collector then buy what you like

Moderns are NOT a good investment IMO.If you looking to make money in comics stay with older stuff.Supply and demand of course drives the market but there is a glut of modern and as more collectors enter the market the silver and key bronze is drying up.Only so many books to go around where as moderns,,EH not so much their all over the place cheap

For what its worth 2c

If anything, I might just collect the stuff I read when I was a kid. Starting around ASM #238 and up. Used to love those Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-Ones back in the day too.

Right now I am content to just buy my moderns ever Wednesday to read. If those prices for bronze and silver remain "recession proof" I will probably just not get back into the collecting game.

(thumbs u Good idea Buy what you like to read .

If anyone is paying over $200 for any comic book I would say its safe to assume that they arent being affected by the recession.

I respectfully disagree. The flood to market of some seriously desirable books over the last year has really shown that while some people will always pay whatever it takes to get the book they want, comics, even valuable comics, are often the first valuable asset liquidated in times of need.

Now, "need" may be defined differently to different people, but whether that person needs $500 or $5,000, that ASM 1 or FF 5 is going up for sale.

If anyone is paying over $200 for any comic book I would say its safe to assume that they arent being affected by the recession.

I respectfully disagree. The flood to market of some seriously desirable books over the last year has really shown that while some people will always pay whatever it takes to get the book they want, comics, even valuable comics, are often the first valuable asset liquidated in times of need.

Now, "need" may be defined differently to different people, but whether that person needs $500 or $5,000, that ASM 1 or FF 5 is going up for sale.

It could very well be that people are simply cashing in on what is a hot market and not everyone needing to "bail out".

hm

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

2010,that's when the crash is coming.

Believe me, I have been waiting. A great poster once stated "the crash" was going to come, annually.

yup buying bulk modern run on fire sale to read is a lot of fun. I bought a ton of books on sale just for reading. An entire run of iron man from 1 to 25 mint for half the cover price as well as some good run on Daredevil and other books. I am sure I paid less than what the dealer paid for them. I love not having to wait 30 days to read the next issue!

all you need to do is attend conventions on the last day and pick up long boxes of modern for 20 cents on a dollar on many books.

I don't even bother buying book off the rack anymore because it is cheaper to buy bulk from Ebay or at conventions. I haven't buy off the rack since 1993.