• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's things like this....

21 posts in this topic

From what I've been reading lately, foxing doesn't take off too many grade points and maybe the tear at the spine was a printing defect..??

Pretty sure the tear wasn't from printing, but CGC must have counted it as such. :censored:

This is nothing compared to other raw books I have sold that were subsequently slabbed at higher numbers, but it's still annoying. Just one more push to keep me from selling anything in high grade raw. Virtually all of my nice books go through CGC now. Got sick of pressers taking dollars out of my pocket. Nothing against them, but I would rather have the profit riding on my hip than on their's.

Consider it good advertising for why people should buy from you.

And my screen is for looking closely at covers but yours doesn't really look like an 8.5 GA book to me.

From what I've been reading lately, foxing doesn't take off too many grade points and maybe the tear at the spine was a printing defect..??

Pretty sure the tear wasn't from printing, but CGC must have counted it as such. :censored:

This is nothing compared to other raw books I have sold that were subsequently slabbed at higher numbers, but it's still annoying. Just one more push to keep me from selling anything in high grade raw. Virtually all of my nice books go through CGC now. Got sick of pressers taking dollars out of my pocket. Nothing against, them, but I would rather have the profit riding on my hip than on their's.

Good point. can't understand why dealers at conventions or in their stores sell high grade raws that would sell much higher slabbed. I honestly believe the biggest issue is that

most ppl have problems grading.

Don't feel bad, I consigned and sold a Strange Tales # 98 CGC 8.5 that brought nice coin in a Featured Auction earlier this year. It sold last night for more then 2.5 times the previous price, but now as a 9.2. doh!

I feel like I can't sell a book that's worth more than $100 or is over an 8.0 without pressing and subbing it.

Otherwise I feel like a chump. Sad state of affairs.

Such is life. I consigned a Strange Tales # 98 CGC 8.5 that I bought for pretty nice coin in a Featured Auction earlier this year. It sold last night for more then 2.5 times the purchase price, but now as a 9.2. :grin:

books definitely looks pressed (how else would you explain the upper left corner, etc)...

that is why folks love to buy my raw graded books, I tend to be tighter than cgc

That is a very good example of how to play the pressing game. Now that we understand what type of flaws to specifically look for in raw comics, we can all join in the Pressing game. More $$$ for pressers and slabbers as part of the USA or Canadian stimulus plan. :P

Don't feel bad, I consigned and sold a Strange Tales # 98 CGC 8.5 that brought nice coin in a Featured Auction earlier this year. It sold last night for more then 2.5 times the previous price, but now as a 9.2. doh!

8.5 was then pressed and re-subbed for a 9.2, unreal. I doubt the label

was submitted with the re-sub.

I have left so much $$ on the table selling high grade raw books. When I sold my Flash 137 Mass copy raw for $2,500 to a dealer a few years ago and it came back as a 9.6 which was sold by the dealer the same day he got it in from CGC for $6,500, I thought I had learned my lesson. I guess not though. I sold the Mass copy of Captain America 111 in San Diego this year and it came back a 9.8 and sold on CL for over $1,000 more than what I sold it for :makepoint:

Ken

I turned the book down in Chicago this year.

The book didn't even need a pressing. It was gorgeous except for the tear.

If it's any consolation to you I've left more on the table than that.

:cry:

This is nothing compared to other raw books I have sold that were subsequently slabbed at higher numbers, but it's still annoying. Just one more push to keep me from selling anything in high grade raw. Virtually all of my nice books go through CGC now. Got sick of pressers taking dollars out of my pocket. Nothing against, them, but I would rather have the profit riding on my hip than on their's.

Good point. can't understand why dealers at conventions or in their stores sell high grade raws that would sell much higher slabbed. I honestly believe the biggest issue is that

But even the ones that can grade still get affected by this "if it's raw something is wrong with it" attitude. Some people still like to sell raw books. There is nothing wrong with that.

But even the ones that can grade still get affected by this "if it's raw something is wrong with it" attitude. Some people still like to sell raw books. There is nothing wrong with that.

Then again some are probably afraid to grade too high for fear the book might come back a lower grade and for sure the buyer will complain. Catch 22.