• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Book of the Day 1/21/04

28 posts in this topic

tt: who did the cover? That's not Barks, at least Donald and the boys aren't... the bears look like they could be Barks...

To be honest, I've always assumed it was Barks, as the style looks similar to the renderings of Donald on the covers of various WDC&Ss during the 1940s, which I also assumed were by Barks. The story inside is definitely Barks through and through. But, as you point out, the bears clearly look more Barks-ian, which highlights the un-Barks-ian rendition of the ducks, so perhaps you're onto something.

Were the covers of the various Dell Disney books in the 1940s rendered by house artists, rather than the artist of the story inside? Perhaps one of the true duck experts such as Michael Naiman or Keith Contarino could shed some light on this.

WOW....

shocked.gif

Is that your book...it was for sale in PCGmint website couple of years ago...with something like 15K$ asking price.

Cover is not by Barks. It's possibly done by Dan Gormley??? Link

Walt Kelly did those early 1940s wdcs covers.

Beautiful book! thumbsup2.gif Looks like your scanner is up and running now so we'll look forward to more offerings.

Ace, I think it's time for you to spring for a scanner yourself to share some of your own collection with us. grin.gif

I'd be flattered to post some of my books. But most of them have received better snapshots from Heritage and eBay already. Plus there haven't been many JLA fans that I've come across yet that would seem to be interested if I did.

I suspect I'll be seeing more of your books up as the Pretty Book then mine. And rightfully so since you've got some blush.gif

I'd be flattered to post some of my books. But most of them have received better snapshots from Heritage and eBay already. Plus there haven't been many JLA fans that I've come across yet that would seem to be interested if I did.

I suspect I'll be seeing more of your books up as the Pretty Book then mine. And rightfully so since you've got some blush.gif

Ace, false modesty will get you nowhere. I think there are a bunch of forumites who would love to see some of the books in your collection, and not all of them were purchased recently from Heritage or eBay, were they? Tell you what, I'll make the next PBOD a JLA, and from the reaction you can decide whether there's an audience or not. I think there is...

> Is that your book...it was for sale in PCGmint website couple of years ago...with something like 15K$ asking price.

Wasn't that an NM+ 159 (or did he have both?). The 159 had a distracting dust

shadow - this copy is much nicer!

> Is that your book...it was for sale in PCGmint website couple of years ago...with something like 15K$ asking price.

Wasn't that an NM+ 159 (or did he have both?). The 159 had a distracting dust

shadow - this copy is much nicer!

Yes, it's mine, and yes, I did get it from PGCMint. Not quite the listed asking price, but a very high price. Sometimes, Guide just goes out the window.

Mark did list a FC 159 in 9.6 later, but it was not a major key for me (even though I loved the story), so I didn't have quite the same urgency in acquiring it. And then someone else snagged it. Too bad, it would've been a nice addition to my collection, dust shadow or no.

Ace, false modesty will get you nowhere. I think there are a bunch of forumites who would love to see some of the books in your collection, and not all of them were purchased recently from Heritage or eBay, were they? Tell you what, I'll make the next PBOD a JLA, and from the reaction you can decide whether there's an audience or not. I think there is...

No false modesty. Just a gauge of perceived interest and you have the more diverse collection then my own.

Test away. I'll be curious to see what the reaction from the forumites is. Seeing a nice JLA would be a plus too! cloud9.gif Of course I have an idea of a couple you might select and I'll be green with envy that I can't pry them away from your grasp. Yet! 27_laughing.gif

Of course if you are right then I'd have to get a scanner and I'm having enough #@$# computer trouble as it is (reference thread: CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS COMPUTER PROBLEM!). tonofbricks.gif

tt: who did the cover? That's not Barks, at least Donald and the boys aren't... the bears look like they could be Barks...

To be honest, I've always assumed it was Barks, as the style looks similar to the renderings of Donald on the covers of various WDC&Ss during the 1940s, which I also assumed were by Barks. The story inside is definitely Barks through and through. But, as you point out, the bears clearly look more Barks-ian, which highlights the un-Barks-ian rendition of the ducks, so perhaps you're onto something.

Were the covers of the various Dell Disney books in the 1940s rendered by house artists, rather than the artist of the story inside? Perhaps one of the true duck experts such as Michael Naiman or Keith Contarino could shed some light on this.

Well, Barks generally did draw the covers of the FC books containing his stories, and to a slightly lesser extent this is also true of the WDC&S between #s 31 and 300 or so (before the reprints kicked in). But sometimes Talieferro (sp?) would do the cover, sometimes Walt Kelly did the cover (especially on the earlier WDC&S issues).

This (FC 178) to me is clearly not entirely a Barks cover. There's just no way the ducks are Barks, IMO. I'd bet good money on that. But the ducks don't look like Kelly or Talieferro either...