• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any new comics coming out today that I should pick up (1/21/04)? "spoiler alert"

24 posts in this topic

DC THE NEW FRONTIER #1 (Of 6)

Yeah, that too!

Ugh. Just got back from comic shop.

Picked up DD#56, Elektra #32, FF #509, Iron Man #421, Spider-Man/Doc Ock #3 (for no other reason then I already bought the 1st 2 issues; It is kind of confusing since there is like 3 different Doc Ock story arcs going on in 3 different comics), New X-Men #152, Wolverine #10, and Uncanny X-men #438. Don't know anything about The New Frontier. What is it about? The only DC title I get on a regular basis (in TPB form) is 100 bullets.

It's an Elseworlds mini-series detailing the rise of the Silver Age heroes within a historical context. I haven't read #1 yet, but it deals with the pre-silver age DC universe - like who was active in the late 1940's and 1950's - you had Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and then you had the war comics guys Sgt. Rock, the Losers, etc. and the new adventure heroes like the Challengers of the Unknown and so on. We get to see what Hal Jordan was like before he becomes Green Lantern, and what happens to the world when he, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, et al. emerge into ther eras of Truman/Eisenhower/McCarthyism/Camelot, et al.

As for books I picked up this week:

Daredevil 56 (return of Bendis and Maleev)

Fantastic Four 509 (return of Wieringo)

DC: The New Frontier 1

JSA 57

Thanos 5 (alas, only one more Starlin issue left...)

Runaways 10

New X-Men 152

Punisher Vol. 3 HC

Justice League (Animated) Digests Vol. 1 & 2 (I'll read 'em and give them to my nephew after)

...notes about this week's other stuff:

Couldn't bring myself to get Wonder Woman Archives Vol. 4 - not a big fan of those comics - I figure I can always get it later at some show for half price.

I draw the line at two Ock storylines at one time. Spectacular only because it's written by Jenkins, and Negative Exposure because it's written by Brian Vaughan (Runaways) and has those great Tony Harris covers. Out of Reach looks like a real POS.

Rose and Thorn 2 looked pretty good (then again it's written by Gail Simone whose work has so far not been to my taste). If #1 was in I might have picked them both up. Artwork is stunning.

Too much x-crement. Uncanny, Wolverine, New X-Men, Exiles... all out the same week? Talk about overkill. Good thing the suck factor is about 50% overall. I hear that Extreme X-Men has been cancelled and will be replaced with a new Excalibur title... I don't know whether to celebrate or vomit.

I also ended up getting the 10th Anniversary Army of Darkness statue. I didn't order it, but the guy who did didn't want to get it after all, and it looked pretty sweet. Although it does weigh 19 lbs... I'm going to throw my back out again lifting it!

Kev

I also ended up getting the 10th Anniversary Army of Darkness statue. I didn't order it, but the guy who did didn't want to get it after all, and it looked pretty sweet. Although it does weigh 19 lbs... I'm going to throw my back out again lifting it!

Kev

Picture please?

DC The New Frontier #1

Daredevil #56

Elektra #32

Fantastic Four #509

New X-Men #152

Runaways #10

Spider-Man Dr Octopus

Thanos #5

Uncanny X-Men #438

Wolverine #10

I thought that you don't buy any DCs? confused-smiley-013.gif

DC The New Frontier #1

Daredevil #56

Elektra #32

Fantastic Four #509

New X-Men #152

Runaways #10

Spider-Man Dr Octopus

Thanos #5

Uncanny X-Men #438

Wolverine #10

I thought that you don't buy any DCs? confused-smiley-013.gif

He bought Batman when Lee was on it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I buy and read new and old DCs - I just mock those who actively collect high grade DCs like you tongue.gif

I read and buy Empire, Batman, Teen Titans, Batman/Superman, Superman:Birthright, I'll pick up the regular Supes title when Lee comes on board. I used to pick up Catwoman, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Aquaman.

It must be my multiple personalities coming out...

Fantastic Four 509 is spectacular.

Yes it is.

I also picked up (since everyone else is doing it smile.gif )

The Unfunnies #1- This series looks to be absolutely insane.

Daredevil #56

DC: The New Frontier #1

New X-Men #152- literally just to flip through.

Thanos #5- I'll be sad to see Starlin go.

DD #56 was pretty good. It just leads me to wonder exactly which heroes and villians in the Marvel Universe don't know Peter Parker is Spider-man? confused-smiley-013.gif I also like the regular art and lettering in this issue than the previous story arc about Echo. Am I the only one that can't stand how they put those issues together? Wolverine #10 was pretty good as well. Had an ending like Ultimate X-men #41. Did Wolverine actually do what we all think he did? confused-smiley-013.gif The Wolverine I know would have performed a c-section on that 893censored-thumb.gif.

DD #56 was pretty good. It just leads me to wonder exactly which heroes and villians in the Marvel Universe don't know Peter Parker is Spider-man? confused-smiley-013.gif I also like the regular art and lettering in this issue than the previous story arc about Echo. Am I the only one that can't stand how they put those issues together?

I read about three pages of the first issue and then stopped buying the series until Bendis/Maleev came back, so count me amongst those who couldn't stand the way those issues were put together. I like Mack as an artist, I'm not sold on his style as a storyteller.

DD #56 was pretty good. It just leads me to wonder exactly which heroes and villians in the Marvel Universe don't know Peter Parker is Spider-man? confused-smiley-013.gif I also like the regular art and lettering in this issue than the previous story arc about Echo. Am I the only one that can't stand how they put those issues together?

I read about three pages of the first issue and then stopped buying the series until Bendis/Maleev came back, so count me amongst those who couldn't stand the way those issues were put together. I like Mack as an artist, I'm not sold on his style as a storyteller.

I struggled through the last story arc with Echo as well as the previous Echo story arc. Trying to read some of those spiral paragraphs gave me a headache. It was also difficult at times to figure out what I was suppose to read first. One sentence would be on one side of the page written in normal type and the next sentence would be spread out on the other side of the page in hand writing style. Never thought a comic could be made so difficult to read and follow. Took all the enjoyment out of the comic in my opinion.

I considered those months my Daredevil "holiday" and avoided them like the plague. I'll read them if they put them in a future Daredevil hardcover, but boy am I glad that Bendis and Maleev are back. #56 was outstanding.

If I were to rank the comics I did buy in terms of quality and entertainment value:

10/10 DC: The New Frontier 1

Awesome! Darwyn has agreed to be a featured guest at our next Toronto Comicon show in June. By that time issue #5 should be out. But #1 has me hooked. I wish we could have seen the events that are only alluded to in the magazine article.

My only disappointment was that I thought it was supposed to be Prestige Format and the books were not in the greatest shape. This will definitely merit a hardcover collection when completed.

09/10 Daredevil 56

See above. Great twist with the "intervention". Murdock is getting creepier and looks very demonic with his goatee. Final scene was very cinematic.

09/10 Fantastic Four 509

Makes sense, as they've gone everywhere else. Nice twist bringing back a Lee/Kriby device. A friend of mine is reading a book called "Stiffs" about corpses, and that bit about the soul having weight is something he mentioned to me the other day.

08/10 Thanos 5

Great stuff. Galactus without his helmet! Starlin will be missed. I hope Giffen and Lim can do the book justice.

07/10 JSA 57

Good read. Disappointing only because the artwork looks terrible after last week's beautiful Morales & Bair Hawkman issue.

05/10 Runaways 10

Vampires? Looking forward to next issue's Cloak and Dagger appearances with art by Toronto Comicon Iron Artist winner Takeshi Miyazawa. Adrian Alphona and Craig Yeung are also Toronto residents so I support this book not just because it is good but because it's very much a "root for the home team" situation. That being said, these last two issues felt like filler material. Great cover though.

03/10 New X-Men 152

Yuck. Liked the Morrison stuff up until now. Never was a big fan of Silvestri's art, but at least it was ok when he actually drew the X-Men in the present. I don't know who these characters are because they are virtually unrecognizable as X-Men. Even Wolverine... he's tall and looks like a pretty boy. The rest of the featured characters are mostly Grant's new characters introduced during his run, and the hybrid place names.... it's all annoying goobledeegook futurespeak and I don't buy the Beast as a villain. I won't be picking this up anymore. Unfortunately it will be in the same hardcover as the infinitely superior preceding storyarc with art by Phil Jimenez.

So definitely a great week for new comics, wish every week was this good!

Kev