• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Pressing question. Proscreen vs pressing!

59 posts in this topic

So where are all the NODDERs? Surely they have an opinion on all things disclosure related?
So you would want it disclosed if the book is NOT a pressing candidate? No, I dont support that. It actually makes me laugh.
:roflmao: Officially the funniest thing I heard today!

So where are all the NODDERs? Surely they have an opinion on all things disclosure related?

Perhaps they haven't seen the banana yet.

Or...just perhaps...they're not all your personal pet monkeys that come a running every time you decide to hold one out.

If somebody wants to state that their books have not been pressed, I have no problem with that.

If somebody with a dry mount press in their study buys said books in the desperate hope that they can wring a bit more coin out of them, only to discover that they're going to have to live with them 'as is'...well, I'd allow myself a little chuckle.

Sorry guys, but I ain't up for giving you guidance on where to make your next few cents. Complaining that a seller knew his books weren't pressing candidates is just a tad sick-making.

A more important question remains...why do a number of boarders continue to sell their books in the Marketplace without disclosing that they've been pressed? (shrug)

A more important question remains...why do a number of boarders continue to sell their books in the Marketplace without disclosing that they've been pressed? (shrug)

Have you seen the way a few of the sellers who have proactively disclosed were treated in their sales threads lately?A little common courtesy goes a long way. Just as guerrilla tactics go a long way in the opposite direction.

You can't force someone to disclose whether a book has been pressed or not. If the issue is that important then ask. Any seller worth their salt and any that I know, will give you a truthful answer. And yes, I know some people believe that they shouldn't have to ask, but it's a two way street. A little cooperation from both sides would go a long way.

We have known each other a while, Nick, and even though we have a few differing views, I wouldn't call either of us unreasonable. Would you?

Have you seen the way a few of the sellers who have proactively disclosed were treated in their sales threads lately?A little common courtesy goes a long way. Just as guerrilla tactics go a long way in the opposite direction.

You can't force someone to disclose whether a book has been pressed or not. If the issue is that important then ask. Any seller worth their salt and any that I know, will give you a truthful answer. And yes, I know some people believe that they shouldn't have to ask, but it's a two way street. A little cooperation from both sides would go a long way.

We have known each other a while, Nick, and even though we have a few differing views, I wouldn't call either of us unreasonable. Would you?

Sorry, Jim, but when I'm being asked to disclose whether books are pressing candidates or not, but we can't even get agreement for pressing to be disclosed in the first place, it s me off no end.

As for 'guerrilla tactics', I'm not a believer. However, I can understand how frustration can bubble over and they seem to be the only way to address the issue. Doesn't excuse it, but might explain it? (shrug)

Sorry, Jim, but when I'm being asked to disclose whether books are pressing candidates or not...

I'm not talking about that. I think that's silly at best. If someone wants to ask if a raw book has been pressed or not, then I think that is a fair question.

Sorry, Jim, but when I'm being asked to disclose whether books are pressing candidates or not, but we can't even get agreement for pressing to be disclosed in the first place, it s me off no end.

As for 'guerrilla tactics', I'm not a believer. However, I can understand how frustration can bubble over and they seem to be the only way to address the issue. Doesn't excuse it, but might explain it? (shrug)

Nick, Is that a relatively common question asked? Or is it a select few? Seems almost like an odd question to ask when buying a book imo.

OK, I have heard all the arguments from both sides. But I am pretty bored with it all.

Lets take this thing to a new level and perhaps more important level. I have seen several sales threads in which the books are advertised as "Not Pressed", sometimes by people who I am sure have books pressed. Is it disingenuous to advertise a book as not pressed when you have in fact had the book proscreened (by a pro) and determined that it is not a pressing candidate?

My belief is that there are 2 clear motives in labeling a book as not pressed. #1 is to sell the book to people who don't want pressed books. #2 is to sell the book to a presser who thinks there is a chance of an upgrade on the book. For all the all the Agents of D.I.S.C.L.O.S.U.R.E. out there, maybe this can give you a new mission.

Or maybe I am just stirring it up a little..... hm

For me, it doesn't matter if a book has been proscreened and found ineligible for pressing since every book I buy ends up in my collection and not used to fund other purchases. As a seller, it is not up you to determine what the buyer has planned for the book. So, unless the buyer asks if the book is a good pressing candidate, it is not the seller's responsibility.

I am one of those guys that prefer books that are not pressed. I was looking through a few of my books that I will be sending to CGC soon. I couldn't help but notice that this book is probably a 6.5 in it's current state due to a non color-breaking vertical fold about an inch from the spine. After examining the rest of the book, it is clear to me that it could easily be pressed to an 8.5. I have many books in my collection that could be bumped by 2 full grades by having them pressed. The main reason I collect GA comics is to own something old and original. There is no way someone can convince me that squashing the paper fibers on a book down past the crease to make it disappear is not changing the book from it's original state. Sure, I could increase my collection by 10K or so. It's just not worth it to me.

action117raw001.jpg

Mike,

How is the book with the vertical spine fold in its original state as it is? Surely, it wasn't printed with that vertical fold. No, that vertical fold was added later due to improper handling changing it from its original state. The same with any crease or wrinkle. Since the pressure needed to make a crease would also squash the fibers, very few books are truly in their original state. So I don't see much difference in terms of the paper between pressing a book and making a crease and pressing a book and flattening the same crease except that the crease is no longer visible. And that is how we judge books isn't it? By what we can see?

Great book by the way. (thumbs u

So you would want it disclosed if the book is NOT a pressing candidate? No, I dont support that. It actually makes me laugh.

so NOD really is just about pressing? Actually, would be extremely valuable information to know if Matt Nelson has proscreened the book and it has not been pressed.

so NOD really is just about pressing? Actually, would be extremely valuable information to know if Matt Nelson has proscreened the book and it has not been pressed.

As it would be to know if a book had been sent to CGC for a 9.x pre-screen but came back ungraded. You are asking too much.

As it would be to know if a book had been sent to CGC for a 9.x pre-screen but came back ungraded. You are asking too much.

That is a very good point, just would be much harder to determine on a raw book than a slab where there is a serial number. I know on bronze stuff, I am often 4 or 5 deep on copies, so would be pretty tough to determine what is what.

Are you serious Dale? The NOD has absolutely no interest in pressing discussions. We are for disclosure of work done. It has nothing to do with pressing. For every member in the Org. who does not press books, there is one who does. It is about doing whats right with the book and letting a potential buyer make the most educated decision before purchase.

For what you are saying, I really do have to giggle. You are suggesting sellers do the footwork for people before pressing. So if you buy a 9.0, and receive a 9.0 that is solid but cant be pressed. Then the seller should have stated this?

I thought this thread was a joke, with a pointless jab at the Org..

I am one of those guys that prefer books that are not pressed. I was looking through a few of my books that I will be sending to CGC soon. I couldn't help but notice that this book is probably a 6.5 in it's current state due to a non color-breaking vertical fold about an inch from the spine. After examining the rest of the book, it is clear to me that it could easily be pressed to an 8.5. I have many books in my collection that could be bumped by 2 full grades by having them pressed. The main reason I collect GA comics is to own something old and original. There is no way someone can convince me that squashing the paper fibers on a book down past the crease to make it disappear is not changing the book from it's original state. Sure, I could increase my collection by 10K or so. It's just not worth it to me.

action117raw001.jpg

Mike,

How is the book with the vertical spine fold in its original state as it is? Surely, it wasn't printed with that vertical fold. No, that vertical fold was added later due to improper handling changing it from its original state. The same with any crease or wrinkle. Since the pressure needed to make a crease would also squash the fibers, very few books are truly in their original state. So I don't see much difference in terms of the paper between pressing a book and making a crease and pressing a book and flattening the same crease except that the crease is no longer visible. And that is how we judge books isn't it? By what we can see?

Great book by the way. (thumbs u

Hi Casey:

Perhaps "original state" wasn't the correct words I was looking for. The defect in question happened through reading, folding and handling the book in general. It's a natural occurance. In my opinion, pressing is not a natural occurance. Until someone proves to me that pressing is harmless to the fibers in the paper, i'll try to avoid pressed books. I have nothing against people who press, I just prefer my books not pressed.