• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which one would you rather have?

34 posts in this topic

This is the easiest "which one" question in a while.

The inked version is so altered in style and look from the original and from the recreated pencils that if it wasn't signed by Kirby there would be no way to know he even touched it.

The pencil only, all Kirby piece in a landslide.

Sure the pencil piece is more faithful because it is light boxed from the cover, but the other one looks more like a free hand interpretation, if you like it is more original (although, in late Kirby style)

I'd choose the pencil piece, but only because I'm not satisfied with how Spider-man was inked or interpreted in the inked piece.

In my opinion, I think the inked piece has some better qualities over the penciled piece, such as the layout and detailed background. I like the reinterpretation of the man being held by Spider-man. But because Spider-man himself looks so awkward in the inked version, I think it's an eyesore that overshadows all of the other great qualities.

If Spider-man's design was kept more faithful to the original pencils, I would have chosen the inked piece.

This is a joke. The pencil is so superior to the inked piece in my eyes it would be like choosing between a finger painting and a DaVinci.

Sure the pencil piece is more pleasing to the eye no doubt, but any professional artist with a steady hand could replicate the AF 15 cover on a light box. The inked drawing is a more pure Kirby drawing, even if he did paint it with his finger :)

This is a joke. The pencil is so superior to the inked piece in my eyes it would be like choosing between a finger painting and a DaVinci.

Sure the pencil piece is more pleasing to the eye no doubt, but any professional artist with a steady hand could replicate the AF 15 cover on a light box. The inked drawing is a more pure Kirby drawing, even if he did paint it with his finger :)

How can you even tell it's Kirby under there? It's like the inker applied the ink with a pressure washer.