• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loss of gloss or shine

6 posts in this topic

I wonder if CGC even factors it in unless the gloss loss is caused by sun or some other sort of damage.

Gloss seemed to be a bigger deal 15 or whatever years ago in terms of value to grade. Dealers were always touting how glossy some cover was, etc. And let's face it, would you rather have a book with its original gloss or a dull one? But CGC values a faint spine tick on a back cover as a bigger deduction than something like this, which really makes a big presentation difference, so I suspect some collectors are valuing it less.

just like print quality/off-center covers. some folks didn't think a book could really be considered NM if it had a miswrap or bindery tears or printer's creases, but now CGC doesn't care, so fewer people care at least at 9.4, I know some people here will not pay 9.6 or 9.8 money for a miswrapped book unless the whole print-run is like that (or almost the whole print run).