• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where Have All The Listings Gone.....

16 posts in this topic

I may talk about market crashes, lower prices, etc., but I also feel that one of the contributing factors is the dearth of CGC listings on EBay. When things were good, listings were rampant, but now everyone is holding their books.

The problem with this is that many buyers (myself included) are likely getting mighty tired (and bored) of searching for books that simply do not exist on EBay. I've even missed some great deals on raw books, simply because searching on EBay for non-existant CGC 8.5-9.4 keys just isn't worth it anymore.

This may be a "chicken before the egg" scenario, but no listings = no interest on my part, and I can't imagine hardcore CGC collectors being too pleased with the selection either.

This may simply be a function of the calendar and the lateness of Thanksgiving this year - I know several people who are sort of closing up shop for the holidays. I personally don't have any listings ending from Wednesday-Saturday, and I'm sure a lot of other people don't either.

The real question will be is it a true NM or not? I couldn't get a response from the seller after asking for a larger scan. Anyways, what I've noticed is the amount of auctions with BIN's has gone down a ton. I used to refresh all the time waiting for the next batch of auctions to show up so I could look over the BIN's..but now it's not even worth it..everyone seems to just be taking their chances with what it'll bid out for.

Brian

Whatcha lookin' for CI? I've got a box of 70's books from CGC I'm going to pick up at the Post Office this morning on my way to work. And no, I'm not planning to list them on ebay until after the holidays as last year I spent way too much time standing in line at the Post Office in December. I may list them in the marketplace forum...we'll see.

How many CGC books have you been able to pick up during the great depression of '02? Fess up man!!

How many CGC books have you been able to pick up during the great depression of '02? Fess up man!!

Seriously, not many at all. I've been holding back on buying right now, because of low listing numbers, market uncertainty, and the posties stealing my movies, CDs and books. grin.gif

I'm also probably going to blow off a large portion of my collection, since the majority of comics don't interest me anymore. I'll keep the hoard of X-Men, the Silver/Bronze keys, but most of the other goes. Sometime in the new year, I'll be "pulling a Scottish" though on a much, much larger scale.

Knowing me, I'll probably just take the proceeds and buy a few more boxes of Byrne X-men. grin.gif

I've even missed some great deals on raw books, simply because searching on EBay for non-existant CGC 8.5-9.4 keys just isn't worth it anymore.

Good news, your search is over - my visit to the PO was just like opening a big box at Christmas - 6 9.8's, 13 9.6's, and 6 9.4's smile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gif These, when combined with my last batch of moderns (a bit of a misnomer as mostly these are 1975-1980 books), gives me a great 9 - 32 - 9 (9.4/9.6/9.8) record in my last 50 modern submissions, and illustrates that CGC remains as consistently strict as they've ever been with their grading standards, thanks for the good work Steve & Co!

Anyhow, you've mentioned you were looking for a Werewolf by Night 32 9.4 White (or how about an Iron Fist 1 9.6 White?)...I await all offers!

I know several people who are sort of closing up shop for the holidays. I personally don't have any listings ending from Wednesday-Saturday, and I'm sure a lot of other people don't either.

All of mine end on Sunday evening. Great. I guess this could be a good thing (no one else in competition with me) or a bad thing (no one looking thinking everyone is breaking for the holidays). frown.gif

At 3 bucks + 3 bucks shipping, it could be Fine and it'd still be a bargain. I don't mind rolling the dice with that large a margin of financial error. 2/3 of the time I don't win when rolling the dice, but I've won often enough to make it appealing when there's a lack of good CGC stuff available.

EBay may be empty, but Heritage is freakin' overstuffed. They've got enough Spideys to overwhelm even people with a few hundred thousand bucks to blow.

I doubt it. Maybe, but it'd have to be a web site I think. You can parse E-Bay's HTML, but whenever they change their web page layout, you'd have to change the code. Tough to update that often with a fat client unless you've coded it to automatically look for and install updates.

E-Bay has recently introduced a web service SOAP-based API, but they charge you for using it. I could see them charging to call the search APIs to limit you from doing a complex search every 2 seconds and overwhelming their servers, but charging for the bidding and listing API calls is stupid.

Heritage has a lot of stuff, I think they should start making their non-promoted auctions shorter. What exactly are they accomplishing by having them run around a month long? Those who are planning to bid will have bid in the first week or the last week..the weeks between are just filler.

Brian