• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What`s the first appearance of Hellboy?

40 posts in this topic

Dime Press 4 is 1st appearance of Hellboy prototype image (cover)

San Diego Comicon Comics # 2 is 1st Appearance of Hellboy (B&W preview)

Next Men 21 is the first appearance of Hellboy in Color and in a major continuing series

Next Men 21 is the first appearance of Hellboy in Color and in a major continuing series

(thumbs u

I am still floored that someone convinced CGC to label Next Men 21 as the 1st appearance when even hellboy.com clearly stated it WAS NOT the 1st appearance.

(thumbs u

I am still floored that someone convinced CGC to label Next Men 21 as the 1st appearance when even hellboy.com clearly stated it WAS NOT the 1st appearance.

Thats where there is a "grey" area SDCC Comics#2 is a preview only comic given away at the SDCC which is the actual 1st app. of Hellboy

Next Men #21 is his 1st app. in a mainstream comic.

Dime4press is an Italian fanzine really only shows some kind of likeness of Hellboy,but in reality it's to copyright the name in print so no one can take the Hellboy name.Once you can verify a name in print,it's yours to keep.

There's a current thread about this in the Modern forum:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3538749#Post3538749

(Which is where it should be - Hellboy ain't a copper age book)

According to the worlds largest comic selling venue it is a copper and not a modern.

Copper category on Ebay 1984-1991.

Modern category on Ebay 1992-now. Nextmen 21 came out 1993.

I don`t know about you but when I think of something modern I don`t think of something that came out during Bill Clinton`s first year in office, I don`t even think internet,cellphones or dvds were in mainstream use then.

:baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3538749#Post3538749

According to the worlds largest comic selling venue it is a copper and not a modern.

I don`t know about you but when I think of something modern I don`t think of something that came out during Bill Clinton`s first year in office, I don`t even think internet,cellphones or dvds were in mainstream use then.

Do you realize that you're contradicting yourself? doh!

Modern age is 1992 & forward - Dime Press 4, SDCC 2 and Next Men #21 all came out in 1993 - which is why they're considered modern (not copper) books.

Do you realize that you're contradicting yourself? doh!

Modern age is 1992 & forward - Dime Press 4, SDCC 2 and Next Men #21 all came out in 1993 - which is why they're considered modern (not copper) books.

I was being sarcastic do to you being anal about me not posting in the modern board. ;)

so :slapfight:

I am still floored that someone convinced CGC to label Next Men 21 as the 1st appearance

That's because it is the first comic book appearance, as all these preview stuff doesn't really count or you're opening up a different can of worms. Imagine all the Marvel Age and DC Previews that actually had the first appearance of CA and MA characters?

To go down that road is pure insanity.

I am still floored that someone convinced CGC to label Next Men 21 as the 1st appearance

That's because it is the first comic book appearance, as all these preview stuff doesn't really count or you're opening up a different can of worms. Imagine all the Marvel Age and DC Previews that actually had the first appearance of CA and MA characters?

To go down that road is pure insanity.

Oh, I hear ya about all the preview material that "introduced" Goon, Walking Dead, Invincibles.

San Diego Comic-Con 2's story was not preview material. It is the first full story containing Hellboy. That Next Men 21 has a fabulous Hellboy cover, but it was months after SDCC 2.

:gossip: By the way, we better move this to Modern as my Michael max-out o'meter is pegged, which means he is about to take off. :baiting:

How do you move an entire thread to a new forum area? Does the OP have to make a change?

The whole discussion reminds me of baseball cards.

The "rookie card" is the first official major league issue card.

For Hellboy, his "rookie card" is Next Men #21.

San Diego Comic Con #2 and Dime Press #4 are like minor league cards.

They're official, and they're earlier than Next Men #21,

but they don't count as a comic in the "big leagues".

(That is, national distribution through normal channels...)

(...and I've got slabbed copies of all three... so it's not a sour grapes point-of-view.)

(...and I've got slabbed copies of all three... so it's not a sour grapes point-of-view.)

:slapfight:

I'm just saying that normally the biggest argument comes from the person

with the largest stack of whichever book they are arguing for...

meh

For example, did you ever know anyone with multiple copies of Hulk #180?

Guess what they say about Wolverine's first appearance...

meh

I still maintain Hulk #180 is the first appearance. I've got one copy, a beater, to be clear. It's a full figure appearance, not hidden in the shadows, and he is named.

(shrug)

meh

I still maintain Hulk #180 is the first appearance. I've got one copy, a beater, to be clear. It's a full figure appearance, not hidden in the shadows, and he is named.

(shrug)

But then you have Vince's argument that Iron Fist 13 is the REAL 1st appearance of Wolverine and Sabertooth as they are both advertised in the same issue, full-figure. I've never read this issue before, but it is very tempting to get a copy.

meh

(shrug)

But then you have Vince's argument that Iron Fist 13 is the REAL 1st appearance of Wolverine and Sabertooth as they are both advertised in the same issue, full-figure. I've never read this issue before, but it is very tempting to get a copy.

Here we go..... lol

I wouldn't count that because it is an ad rather than a story. At least the Invincible and Walking Dead previews have some story content rather than just an ad or a single panel.

Here we go..... lol

I wouldn't count that because it is an ad rather than a story. At least the Invincible and Walking Dead previews have some story content rather than just an ad or a single panel.

lol

I know Doug. It is the challenge we collectors run into when single appearances start counting as 1st appearances.

Even some consider the 1st appearance of Rocketeer the ad in the back of Starslayer 1 instead of Starslayer 2. To me, I definitely like the large back cover ad, but it isn't really a book appearance. Not saying I would turn down someone sending a Starslayer 1 CGC 9.8 for Christmas.

:grin:

two quesions now

so whats the going rate for Dime Press 4?

I just starting reading these Hellboy stories and damn they are good. his character has potential.

what other comic book character(other then Spawn) has debuted in the 1990`s and has two movies and a videogame? I can`t think of any.