• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pencils vs Inking?

11 posts in this topic

Still somewhat new to the comic book OA area. What kind of value does a cover have if the inking is done over the original pencils versus if the inking is done completely separately of the penciled original? I assume the inks over original pencils is the more desired of the two? Thx

This brings up another situation I have.

I have a chance to buy several pages that were taken directly from the pencils for the books. The artist will ink them for me. I plan to ask him to ink over blue line so I can preserve the pencils as they were used for the book.

Do you guys agree or should I have him ink the original pencils.

John

if they were published direct off the pencils, why are you even getting the inked? Have the charm is having the original that was used for publication.

Even if you just get the bluelines inked, the connection to the published page is gone.

Malvin

I agree with Malvin. Original comic art is the treasured part of the production process. If the book went to press with the original art, as is, I would come down on the side of maintaining what I view as the historical integrity of the art. 2c

artists can be so weird =P

Is he charging you extra for this? I'm guessing he basically digitally inked it for publication, but now he wants to physically ink it before he sells the art.

He should have physically inked it in the first place! =P He probably did it digitally to save time though.

Malvin

He is not charging more than he quote for the art when I knew it was just pencils. The inking was done digitally to save time. That is why I ask for him to ink on a blue line print. that way I get to have the pencils also.

John

This brings up another situation I have.

I have a chance to buy several pages that were taken directly from the pencils for the books. The artist will ink them for me. I plan to ask him to ink over blue line so I can preserve the pencils as they were used for the book.

Do you guys agree or should I have him ink the original pencils.

John

if it's kitson, have him ink the original pages.