• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question for ian???

90 posts in this topic

If it was my heavy breathing that scared you when I called, it was because I was having an asthma attack at the time... tongue.gif

Actually, he did try the heavy breathing thing. He was such an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. One night I was watching Dateline and they had a piece about a phone stalker who was terrorizing some neighborhood. He would always know everything about the people (when the women were alone, what they were wearing, etc.) and would call in patterns. 1st call, then another in 10 minute, another in 5, then 3, 2, 1, then every 30 seconds, etc. Things like that. He routed his calls through a computer program that made them untraceable.

I went to bed that night and was awakened by a phone call with heavy breathing. I was still half asleep, so I hung up. 10 minutes later, another call. Hung up again. 5 minutes later another call. I was finally awake enough to realize what was going on. The insufficiently_thoughtful_person had seen Dateline. I ran to check the caller ID, saw that it was from Florida (where this doofus lived), not his home number (it had sounded like a work environment in the background) and watched the clock until the next call was due.

"Congratulations, you saw Dateline. Did you notice the phone guy was being interviewed in jail? And did you realize my caller ID has just logged the phone number you're calling from? How happy will your boss be to hear you've been using the company phone to make harrassing phone calls long distance?" He hung up. This insufficiently_thoughtful_person actually worked for the phone company, so I can imagine how well that would've gone over. I considered turning him in to his boss, but decided that would just fuel his vendetta against me, so I let it go.

-- Joanna

I would have to think that her collection has a rather high dollar figure attached to it, so to have someone call out of the blue about it probably inspired at least half a dozen possible hypotheses in her mind about your motivation for calling...you could have been trying to verify who she is so you could come rob her.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. She already knew exactly who I was and the extent of my collection.

And as for motivation for calling, anyone who knows me would know that she's quite safe there.

The only thing that's nonsense is your complete inability to look at things from her perspective. Women in general are not going to be open to someone calling them out of the blue, nor should they be. The fact that you collect DC's dosen't make you any less of a stranger to her. The whole "anyone who knows me would know that's she's quite safe" is the real nonsense. There are a lot of wolves in sheep's clothing and you can never truly "know" anyone. And if she chooses to be private about her collecting, who are you to come onto a public forum and bad-mouth her, just because she didn't invite you over for tea and give you a glimpse of her Detective 27? She dosen't know you and maybe she dosen't WANT to know you. Get over yourself.

The fact that you collect DC's dosen't make you any less of a stranger to her.

I hear the Green River serial rapist/killer had an affinity for DCs and was pretty close to completing his collection... gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i heard he'd raped and killed to fight his homosexual tendicies. shocked.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The fact that you collect DC's dosen't make you any less of a stranger to her.

I hear the Green River serial rapist/killer had an affinity for DCs and was pretty close to completing his collection... gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Uh... the Green River collection was from a SUSPECTED Serial Rapist/Killer who was completely exonerated. This is NOT the same person who is currently on trial.

It also wasn't even close to being a complete collection since he only had less than 2000 Marvels and DCs combined... (But you probably already knew that...) 893naughty-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif I thought someone one here said that the comic collection was used to pay his lawyer fees tongue.gif

It was, but the charges were dismissed. His adopted brother who owned half the comics has a web site devoted to his belief that his brother did indeed participate in the killings along with that guy who has more recently been charged with them.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. She already knew exactly who I was and the extent of my collection.

And as for motivation for calling, anyone who knows me would know that she's quite safe there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clear up this point. Who had told her about you?? and what had they said ?? And how would she know you are safe?

Well Boys & Girls thank you for being understanding. Just decided to see what had happened with this thread and have been surprised that even with the amount of members giving their perspectives, Ian still does/will not understand.

Ian DOES understand.

Totally.

And respects the lady's wishes since her feelings became clear.

If I'd tried to call back a second time, then I could certainly understand you being critical of me - but I never would.

However he is unrepentant, mainly because the other DC collector who he also phoned was EXTREMELY helpful and grateful for the contact.

Especially considering that the first lady in question is holding on to two copies of Buzzy 70 and won't let one go.

Just to clear up this point. Who had told her about you?? and what had they said ?? And how would she know you are safe?

1 - Joe Verenault, Robert Rogovin, Paul Sassienie

2 - I have no idea, not being psychic.

3 - Certain factors about me are well-known. Lets just say tactfully that I'm not exactly known for chatting up female comic collectors..........