• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

It's obvious that in a perfect world every dealer would disclose. I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

We have found a point to agree upon. :whee:

We never disagreed on that point. The pro-pressers have just been making the point that we don't live in a perfect world, and you have a choice of either adapting to that fact, or being eternally disappointed.

I'll take the choice you didn't list...fighting to get closer to that perfect world.

How?

By not adapting to the fact or being eternally disappointed.

I've gotta come back to this. So you just want the utopian world where everyone discloses, but you're not going to do anything, or adapt your behavior in any way to bring that world about?

Is that really what you're saying? And if not, what are you saying?

First...post where I said that.

You said you were fighting to get closer to that perfect world by not adapting to the fact or being eternally disappointed. Since neither of those things get you close to the utopian world, what are you actively going to do to get you there, or even a tad closer?

Asking for facts is snide? I'm not asking you to be a researcher for me. I'm asking you to back up your posts with facts, and you've failed miserably.

I haven't seen you post any facts yet. Actually...I haven't really seen you post much of anything of substance yet. (shrug)

That's a total non-response. What is your point in this thread? Because it's growing increasingly murky. I'm starting to think that you're being contrary just to be contrary.

Starting?

I've thought that about your posts for the last couple of hours.

It's obvious that in a perfect world every dealer would disclose. I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

We have found a point to agree upon. :whee:

We never disagreed on that point. The pro-pressers have just been making the point that we don't live in a perfect world, and you have a choice of either adapting to that fact, or being eternally disappointed.

I'll take the choice you didn't list...fighting to get closer to that perfect world.

How?

By not adapting to the fact or being eternally disappointed.

I've gotta come back to this. So you just want the utopian world where everyone discloses, but you're not going to do anything, or adapt your behavior in any way to bring that world about?

Is that really what you're saying? And if not, what are you saying?

First...post where I said that.

You said you were fighting to get closer to that perfect world by not adapting to the fact or being eternally disappointed. Since neither of those things get you close to the utopian world, what are you actively going to do to get you there, or even a tad closer?

That doesn't show where I said that.

This is the worst pressing thread this year. doh!

I agree. I thought Domo had a point, but I think he's just running us in circles for fun.

Duh, I realized his HOURS ago. Hope you had a productive day otherwise. Seriously! :roflmao:

I agree. I thought Domo had a point, but I think he's just running us in circles for fun.

I made a valid point. Actually...Fantastic_Four gets the credit for getting the information for the point being made. When it was obvious that many of the "usual crowd" weren't interested in discussing it in a sensible manner, that's when the circles began.

Duh, I realized his HOURS ago. Hope you had a productive day otherwise. Seriously! :roflmao:

lol

I thought he was Dan and wanted to see how long he would stay on the line.

i think there's undenyable evidence that applying heat to an item is going to cause short/ long term damage, depending on the temp, intensity etc. ive just got back from Florida, its boiling hot down there and almost everybody looks like their in their mid eightes...i took this photo of three Floridian superheros taking in a bit of sun by the pool...i think this speaks for itself...STOP PRESSING OLD PEOPLE!!!

old_superheroes.jpg

Respect has been lost for a few posters in this thread, that is for sure.

Agreed. (thumbs u

I hope it's not me. I'm already dangling near CapFreak levels...

As i told someone else via PM, I have already achieved an appropriate respect equilibrium with you.

Comic collectors and cupcake bakers may not appear to have much in common, but their passion about their respective hobbies really stirs up the emotion - cupake conspiracy! :slapfight:

2 girlsandacupcake lol

"I also let them know this is not the best way to endear themselves to the huge online cupcake community. " :roflmao:

I love reading pressing threads but I will certainly go :signofftopic: for a good cupcake war! :whee:

Yep, and as one of the posters there states "Emphasis on HUGE! Cupcake lovers of the web UNITE!" :o

Wonder what would happen if you pressed a cupcake? hm

Cupcake%27s+destroyed.jpg

And:

s320x240.jpg

(you can find ANYTHING on the interwebs!)

How can you tell they're pressed? :baiting:

Comic collectors and cupcake bakers may not appear to have much in common, but their passion about their respective hobbies really stirs up the emotion - cupake conspiracy! :slapfight:

2 girlsandacupcake lol

"I also let them know this is not the best way to endear themselves to the huge online cupcake community. " :roflmao:

I love reading pressing threads but I will certainly go :signofftopic: for a good cupcake war! :whee:

Yep, and as one of the posters there states "Emphasis on HUGE! Cupcake lovers of the web UNITE!" :o

And:

s320x240.jpg

I can tell when I taste them!

Here is what I have gotten from this thread all day... :whee:

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Mata ahoo Hima de

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Himitsu wo Shiri tai

You're wondering who I am

(Secret, secret, I've got a secret)

Machine or mannequin

With parts made in Japan

I am the modren man

I've got a secret, I've been hiding under my skin

My heart is human, my blood is boiling

My brain I.B.M., so if you see me

Acting strangely, don't be surprised

I'm just a man who needed someone

And somewhere to hide

To keep me alive, just keep me alive

Somewhere to hide to keep me alive

I'm not a robot without emotions

I'm not what you see

I've come to help you

With your problems, so we can be free

I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour

Forget what you know

I'm just a man whose circumstances

Went beyond his control

Beyond my control, we all need control

I need control, we all need control

I am the modren man

(Secret, secret I've got a secret)

Who hides behind a mask

So no one else can see

My true identity

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo, Domo

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo, Domo

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto

For doing the jobs that nobody wants to

And thank you very much, Mr. Roboto

For helping me escape

Just when I needed to

Thank you, thank you, thank you

I want to thank you

Please, thank you, oh

The problem's plain to see

Too much technology

Machines to save our lives

Machines, de-humanize

The time has come at last

To throw away this mask

Now everyone can see

My true identity, I'm Kilroy, Kilroy, Kilroy, Kilroy

2 girlsandacupcake lol

And:

s320x240.jpg

I can tell when I taste them!

Sure, who can't but won't that invalidate the grade? :devil:

Here is what I have gotten from this thread all day... :whee:

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Mata ahoo Hima de

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Himitsu wo Shiri tai

You're wondering who I am

Machine or mannequin

With parts made in Japan

I am the modren man

I've got a secret, I've been hiding under my skin

My heart is human, my blood is boiling

My brain I.B.M., so if you see me

Acting strangely, don't be surprised

I'm just a man who needed someone

And somewhere to hide

To keep me alive, just keep me alive

Somewhere to hide to keep me alive

I'm not a robot without emotions

I'm not what you see

I've come to help you

With your problems, so we can be free

I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour

Forget what you know

I'm just a man whose circumstances

Went beyond his control

Beyond my control, we all need control

I need control, we all need control

I am the modren man

(Secret, secret I've got a secret)

Who hides behind a mask

So no one else can see

My true identity

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo, Domo

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo, Domo

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto

For doing the jobs that nobody wants to

And thank you very much, Mr. Roboto

For helping me escape

Just when I needed to

Thank you, thank you, thank you

I want to thank you

Please, thank you, oh

The problem's plain to see

Too much technology

Machines to save our lives

Machines, de-humanize

The time has come at last

To throw away this mask

Now everyone can see

My true identity, I'm Kilroy, Kilroy, Kilroy, Kilroy

batman.gif

You shouldn't ever smoke, because even that one cigarette might shorten your lifespan by a completely undeterminable length of time.

You shouldn't ever eat a double cheeseburger, because it might shorten your lifespan by a completely undeterminable length of time.

You shouldn't ever press a comic, because the damage the process does will shorten its lifespan by a completely undeterminable length of time.

See, without specifics....it just doesn't mean anything to me.

Smoking does cause damage to your body.

fact

Eating a double cheeseburger is unhealthy.

fact

Pressing a comic does damage it.

fact

Even without specifics...these facts are very important to me.

So, you clearly don't ever eat a cheeseburger, drink alcohol, have a cigarette, eat non-organic food, etc. etc. etc. because all of those things are, even in some small way, harmful, right?

Why do so many people feel they have to go to the exteme in some vain attempt to try to make a point? I really can't figure that out.

Oh well...taking your extreme example to heart...I'll offer up an equally ridiculous response to it.

If I smoke a cigarette (which I don't) there is a label right there on the package warning me. I don't have to call the tobacco company and ask them if there's any danger to me.

If I drink a beer...again there is a warning label contributing to the common knowledge that we are all aware of regarding the risks.

With a cheeseburger, it's common knowledge that it is an unhealthy product and that there are proven risks associated with that kind of diet (this dietary information is provided in pamplets available at the restaurants as well).

The point is, these people aren't pisssing in my ear and telling me it's a q-tip. I'm fully aware of what I'm getting when I purchase these products. That is not always the case with a pressed comic.

:golfclap:

Actually, you've completely changed the argument from one of quantifying the "harm" that Pressing does, to that of Disclosure. Nice slight of hand, but it doesn't advance your argument one bit. Please stick to the issue at hand...offer us something tangible as to the actual harm that Pressing does to a comic or give it up.

They go hand in hand, so I haven't changed anything. The U.S. Library of Congress has stated that their studies have shown that both the addition of heat and/or moisture does measurable harm. The pressers have long stated that the practice does no damage. They were wrong. Plain and simple. Refute that with your own experts that have experience equal to or exceeding those of conservators at the U.S. Library of Congress or admit you don't know what you're talking about.

The only thing I don't know is why I ever bothered to enter into a cyclical argument with someone like you....

You've still offered NOTHING meaningful in the way of quantifiable data, when you have that, please feel free to get back to me. Thanks. Bye. (thumbs u