• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've never pressed a book. I sold my high grade ASM collection back in 2007 consisting of books I bought in the early days of CGC, knowing full well many of them had "potential". I'm sure I left tons of money on the table.

But aren't you just feeding the press/flippers?

He can't control other people's behavior, as long as he himself acts by his own beliefs he's fine. He isn't actively assisting pressing by selling his own books and recouping his own investment.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've never pressed a book. I sold my high grade ASM collection back in 2007 consisting of books I bought in the early days of CGC, knowing full well many of them had "potential". I'm sure I left tons of money on the table.

So what was I supposed to do, burn $60K worth of books because someone might get them pressed? I'm not some crazy anti-pressing zealot, and I'm all about free enterprise and sovereignty over one's property, I just don't like pressing as a collector, and have therefore stopped collecting high grade slabs so that I no longer have a stake. It's not some crime against humanity.

So what was I supposed to do, burn $60K worth of books because someone might get them pressed? I'm not some crazy anti-pressing zealot, and I'm all about free enterprise and sovereignty over one's property, I just don't like pressing as a collector, and have therefore stopped collecting high grade slabs so that I no longer have a stake. It's not some crime against humanity.

But if you're selling the books, and they'll probly get pressed anyway, why shouldn't you profit instead of the next guy?

Skinny Vin Diesel. <3

But if you're selling the books, and they'll probly get pressed anyway, why shouldn't you profit instead of the next guy?

Well, one would make him a hypocrite and one doesn't.

If someone is leaving his books to his family to sell, should he tell them to get them pressed before they sell? Like a 100K collection that pressed is a 400K collection?

I think, with the inevitable relentless motivation of profit, every book that is worth it, will eventually get pressed, by someone.

But don't press/flippers just LOVE people with such high moral standards?

I think even someone just buying them to have them for themselves would be happy about it.

From a moral perspective though, none of that matters - if he professes he doesn't like pressing and then presses his books before he sells them, well, people would be within their rights to roll their eyes.

I respect the fact that he didn't press his books, it adds gravitas to his argument.

If an anti-presser is selling a book, do they refuse to have it pressed on principle even if they can get 10K more?

How much would I get if I didn't get it pressed?

I think even someone just buying them to have them for themselves would be happy about it.

From a moral perspective though, none of that matters - if he professes he doesn't like pressing and then presses his books before he sells them, well, people would be within their rights to roll their eyes.

I respect the fact that he didn't press his books, it adds gravitas to his argument.

I'm just a goal oriented guy. Not pressing the books accomplishes nothing because the next guy will just get them pressed. And, you lose money-money that go towards say a kids college education. You could say well I didn't get them pressed. But, you did sell them to someone who did get them pressed.

I'm just trying to understand.

If an anti-presser is selling a book, do they refuse to have it pressed on principle even if they can get 10K more?

10K less.

I got my asking prices on the books, so I made out fine. If someone then made money off of them, or if they were subsequently pressed and relabeled a dozen times, that's all fine with me. Again, I don't begrudge pressers, I just have no interest in paying lots of money for pressed books. It's not a moral or ethical issue to me.

I got my asking prices on the books, so I made out fine. If someone then made money off of them, or if they were subsequently pressed and relabeled a dozen times, that's all fine with me. Again, I don't begrudge pressers, I just have no interest in paying lots of money for pressed books. It's not a moral or ethical issue to me.

I get it.

Skinny Vin Diesel. <3

Finghy. <3

10K less.

$9.99k?

10K less.

$9.99k?

:pullhair:

10K less.

$9.99k?

You asked the question...

10K less.

$9.99k?

You asked the question...

:frustrated: