• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

Always a bit amusing that some of the most strident anti pressers have no issue selling books to known flippers & pressers.

Just sayin'

Please feel free to elaborate on this amusement..... :popcorn:

(tsk)

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've never pressed a book. I sold my high grade ASM collection back in 2007 consisting of books I bought in the early days of CGC, knowing full well many of them had "potential". I'm sure I left tons of money on the table.

I too, have never pressed a book.

Technically, neither have I :shy:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've never pressed a book. I sold my high grade ASM collection back in 2007 consisting of books I bought in the early days of CGC, knowing full well many of them had "potential". I'm sure I left tons of money on the table.

I too, have never pressed a book/ nor had a book pressed.

:sumo:

I too, have never pressed a book/ nor had a book pressed.

:sumo:

:fear:

Are anti-pressers practicing freedom of speech or violating hate-speak laws...?

i don't understand why pro-pressers has to shove "pressing is not restoration" down our throats?

Let's just agree to disagree.

i don't understand why pro-pressers has to shove "pressing is not restoration" down our throats?

I'm more in the camp of if it's restoration isn't stacking your books also restoration? Because it alters the book. Even storing in bag and board alters the book. Is anything that alters a book in a positive manner restoration? Because if so that opens a whole other can of worms. If it's not then that seems arbitrary. Then we enter the domain of it's not restoration because I don't feel it's restoration. then restoration is based on feelings.

I'm more in the camp of if it's restoration isn't stacking your books also restoration? Because it alters the book. Even storing in bag and board alters the book. Is anything that alters a book in a positive manner restoration? Because if so that opens a whole other can of worms. If it's not then that seems arbitrary. Then we enter the domain of it's not restoration because I don't feel it's restoration. then restoration is based on feelings.

Reaching....... :facepalm:

Pro-pressers don't shove anything down anti-pressers throats. If they do, you can reverse the sentiment and say that anti-pressers are shoving it down the throat of pro-pressers, but neither is correct.

It's just a discussion on a chat forum, and discussions go in multiple directions.

What if other guys started putting 'book has been pressed' on slabs? Would this increase desirability of non pressed other guy books?

Why would they do that? The "crack, clean, press, resubmit, flip" game brings a lot of business and profit for many people involved

That game certaintly does bring profit, but it has to be a vanishingly small amount of overall business. Negligible in fact, at least so I'd guess.

I think you'd be surprised.

Considering that the books that are most likely to see this sort of action...high grade keys and semi-keys where the one point bump is worth thousands...are the books that command a 3% of FMV fee at CGC, I'd suggest that the process is very lucrative for CGC.

Pro-pressers don't shove anything down anti-pressers throats. If they do, you can reverse the sentiment and say that anti-pressers are shoving it down the throat of pro-pressers, but neither is correct.

It's just a discussion on a chat forum, and discussions go in multiple directions.

It seems to me that the issue of pressing has divided the hobby into two camps.

Those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The Rest.

Non-pressers will know which group they belong to.

Advocates of pressing won't care.

Whilst 'shoving it down anti-pressers' throats' is somewhat emotive, there was a campaign to have the definition changed.

There is a very good reason why CGC withheld the information from the buying populace back in the early 00s that they were allowing pressed books into Universal slabs. At the time, the market considered the process restoration and this was reflected in the Overstreet definitions.

CGC were actually offering pressing services to their large submitters, but those people buying the books once they were slabbed had no idea. When the cat got out of the bag, there was a huge outcry here and a campaign began centred around the 'nothing added, nothing taken away' mantra to justify the procedure. This was led by CGC itself, backed up by a number of big-time, vested interest, dealers.

It was not the buying public who supported this move and many collectors felt like they had been had...which because of the subterfuge used, was a very understandable emotion.

Shoved down their throats? Maybe not.

Foisted on them without any prior debate? Most certainly.

i3t7xj.gif

Okay! Pressing and dry cleaning IS restoration.

There I said it. meh

(thumbs u

I don't think we can discuss pressing properly online, we have to look at books in hand. I can't remember which book, but I have a pressed book where a long corner crease wasn't totally removed. Instead of a normal corner crease, I have a squished corner crease. Am I happier with a flat crease instead of a normal crease? Not really. The feeling of owning a manipulated book takes away the benefit of any wrinkling or spine tics the pressing may have taken away.

I'm going to degenerate this thread into two camps: boob jobs vs. no boob jobs. One is unnatural, but it looks nice if you don't look too hard. The other group knows it doesn't feel right, and would rather have the genuine article, even if that makes prime examples harder to find.

Howzat?

I'm going to degenerate this thread into two camps: boob jobs vs. no boob jobs. One is unnatural, but it looks nice if you don't look too hard. The other group knows it doesn't feel right, and would rather have the genuine article, even if that makes prime examples harder to find.

Howzat?

Great analogy lol

I would be curious to know the correlation between those who prefer natural boobs vs those who don' t care if they are natural or not as long as they are big... and make the same exercice between those who prefer their books un-manipulated vs those who don't care as long as there is a big number in the upper left corner of the CGC case... My guess is that the results would not be surprising hm

I know I prefer natural ones..

I don't think we can discuss pressing properly online, we have to look at books in hand. I can't remember which book, but I have a pressed book where a long corner crease wasn't totally removed. Instead of a normal corner crease, I have a squished corner crease. Am I happier with a flat crease instead of a normal crease? Not really. The feeling of owning a manipulated book takes away the benefit of any wrinkling or spine tics the pressing may have taken away.

Howzat?

lol