• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

Piling on me and calling me a liar..thief..scam artist..which are all lies threatening to stalk me and harass me in my home etc..

is a little different from saying I like Lancashire kitchens better than this dude...

Well, this thread's done. Glad I invested in the discussion.

No spamming is something entirely different.

Posting (garbage) multiple times in quick succession is definitely spamming a thread or forum.

(garbage) Is your opinion and your inclusion in this thread is unnecessary. You weren't included in the original discussion, were not a part of any of the subsequent discussions and really serve no other purpose than to come here and stir up trouble.

Did you come here just to pile on with the others?

I've been reading this thread since it was resurrected and have previously made a few posts that were replies to specific posts and not just random, unfunny, irrelevant "hashtags."

I just happened to notice that you're crying once again, not that that's a surprise because that is very typical of your specific behavior around here.

If you want to be a twit, go elsewhere.

Because that is also very typical of your specific behavior around here.

No, it isn't. You're just a whiny oversensitive insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Trying to get people to see reason doesn't work. The only thing that works here is complaining to moderation. I suggest that's what people do if they have a problem with any particular poster and/or group of posters. Complaints get results.

Trying to get people to see reason doesn't work. The only thing that works here is complaining to moderation. I suggest that's what people do if they have a problem with any particular poster and/or group of posters. Complaints get results.

wait..YOU ARE A MOD..I knew it..

I'd like to make a few complaints..

Don't worry I have a list..soooooo j/k lol

You never know, people thought it was done years ago. Anyway, what did you expect from a pressing thread?

Will Team Derail make rfoiii an honourary member?

No, I was rejected as a mod because I do not share the worldview of administration. Not a problem.

You never know, people thought it was done years ago. Anyway, what did you expect from a pressing thread?

Will Team Derail make rfoiii an honourary member?

I didn't expect a complete mental breakdown expressed in hashtags.

I'm not kidding or being sarcastic, by the way. If complaints are what gets people to act, by all means, that should be done. After all...the people causing the problems are already complaining, so it would be good to offer a balanced view, would it not?

It is over... roll the credits...

"We used to have it all, but now's our curtain call

So hold for the applause, oh

And wave out to the crowd, and take our final bow

Oh, it's our time to go, but at least we stole the show"

No, I was rejected as a mod because I do not share the worldview of administration. Not a problem.

Now I am seeing you as a spy Mod vigilante...who could hack in and moderate on Fridays..weekends..anytime justice is required...

cue mission impossible theme music...

vertical creases along over pressurized spines - again, not sure what you mean here. This also can happen from storage, etc. CGC will downgrade for creases, even those introduced by pressing.

Curator FF #11

FF11Curator.jpg

Same collection. Damage along the top staple on #11, but along the bottom staple on #13, for all intents and purposes ruling out an effect of stacking during long-term storage by the curator. The grades on these examples make clear that these creases were not factored into the final grade to anywhere near the degree they should've, and would've had they been at a corner.

FF13Curator.jpg

staple impactions made larger - larger is relative and only before and after pics can prove 'larger' but I will remind you that some FF's in the mid to late #30's (like #38 I believe) are very prone to impacted staples as I have seen several copies. So if mid 1960's Marvels are prone to impacted staples, how do you know which are from pressing and which aren't?

Ask Matt Nelson, or his old partner, Steve Ritter. They had the term 'maverick staples' for comics with small staple impactions at high risk of becoming much larger after pressing. And many of them do.

Before:

FF36staplebefore.jpg

After: The comic kept its 9.6 grade despite the obvious pressing-induced defect.

FF36stapleafter.jpg

As for examples of fuzzy staples after pressing, the hobby is littered with them. It's been discussed on the boards before, and many other long-time high grade SA collectors have shared their experiences seeing them with all-too-high a frequency on pressed comics.

The early SA Marvel with too much starch in the collar and the unnatural overhang that's flat and stiff as cardboard? Just check any major auction to find them.

So while the majority of comics can be pressed by someone skilled in the art so as not to show any sign of it, there are slews of early SA Marvels pressed by even the best in the business where the effects of pressing are plain as day to anyone without a vested financial interest in the process and with the will needed to recognize them. And where the new defects aren't factored into the CGC grade to the degree they should be.

Piling on me and calling me a liar..thief..scam artist..which are all lies threatening to stalk me and harass me in my home etc..

is a little different from saying I like Lancashire kitchens better than this dude...

What is your point, you liked someone better than me?

This is garbage. Metal, Slym and a handful of others post complete nonsense for days all over the boards and it doesn't bug you - but I post some #hashtags that you don't find funny and you are fed up with me personally.

I would think that someone who has been piled on before (for whatever reason) would be more sympathetic to this. I'm not sure why you even had to chime in.

Reading this thread is like a blast from the past. Since the great pressing debate first started way back then a lot has changed. Or, maybe a better way to phrase it is, we know a lot more. It's not a secret anymore.

I think a lot of the initial outrage was certainly a feeling of being duped. CGC offered a service to select clients and most of us had no idea. That all came to light when they were attempting to set up an in house service for the public (I forget what that was called, but someone found the application for the business online). Most people didn't know about pressing. Look back thru the OS ads and see when people started advertising pressing services as a way to specifically increase the grade ("Unlock the hidden potential" is the first one I remember, maybe 2004-05? I don't remember exactly).

Bob (Storms) has said multiple times over the years (and I'm paraphrasing) that if you want to know how the comic grading game plays out, look back at coins. Same stuff happened with "us" as did with coins. Grading service established, services set up to encourage the "CPR" game (continued revenue stream), etc. etc. CGC always has had a vested interest in that game.

For years, OS considered it restoration. Then, all of the sudden, it wasn't. I just went thru the OSGG (2nd Edition; I think people still consider this one the best, right?). Didn't find one mention of it in the articles (including articles by both Susan and Matt) or definitions. Interesting. A few pages back Roy asked why did OS remove it from resto definition? Call me a cynic, but go thru any OSPG from 2002 up. Who has as many or more ads than anyone else? Why would OS define something as "bad" that would directly, negatively affect one of their biggest advertisers?

I just went through mine (2nd Edition, January 2003), and you're right, "Pressing" isn't listed in the definitions section. But it's mentioned under "Restoration." (see below)

RESTORATION - Any attempt, whether professional or amateur, to enhance the appearance of an aging or damaged comic book. These procedures may include any or all of the following techniques: recoloring, adding missing paper, stain, ink, dirt or tape removal, whitening, pressing out wrinkles, staple replacement, trimming, re-glossing, etc. Amateur work can lower the value of a book, and even professional restoration has now gained a certain negative aura in the modern marketplace from some quarters. In all cases, except for some simple cleaning procedures, a restored book can never be worth the same as an unrestored book in the same condition.

I don't know if Arnold ever used anything I contributed, but I'm on the acknowledgements page of that edition. Street cred!

:D

I see it. I never noticed that before. :D

FF's name is in there too.