• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

That a fact is it? Mind explaining your position on what is right or wrong? A quick search of your post history is a charade of nonsensical arguments for the sake of doing so.

Reading this thread is like a blast from the past. Since the great pressing debate first started way back then a lot has changed. Or, maybe a better way to phrase it is, we know a lot more. It's not a secret anymore.

I think a lot of the initial outrage was certainly a feeling of being duped. CGC offered a service to select clients and most of us had no idea. That all came to light when they were attempting to set up an in house service for the public (I forget what that was called, but someone found the application for the business online). Most people didn't know about pressing. Look back thru the OS ads and see when people started advertising pressing services as a way to specifically increase the grade ("Unlock the hidden potential" is the first one I remember, maybe 2004-05? I don't remember exactly).

Bob (Storms) has said multiple times over the years (and I'm paraphrasing) that if you want to know how the comic grading game plays out, look back at coins. Same stuff happened with "us" as did with coins. Grading service established, services set up to encourage the "CPR" game (continued revenue stream), etc. etc. CGC always has had a vested interest in that game.

For years, OS considered it restoration. Then, all of the sudden, it wasn't. I just went thru the OSGG (2nd Edition; I think people still consider this one the best, right?). Didn't find one mention of it in the articles (including articles by both Susan and Matt) or definitions. Interesting. A few pages back Roy asked why did OS remove it from resto definition? Call me a cynic, but go thru any OSPG from 2002 up. Who has as many or more ads than anyone else? Why would OS define something as "bad" that would directly, negatively affect one of their biggest advertisers?

That a fact is it? Mind explaining your position on what is right or wrong? A quick search of your post history is a charade of nonsensical arguments for the sake of doing so.

My post didn't name anyone and yet you jumped in and hammered me. hm

For years, OS considered it restoration. Then, all of the sudden, it wasn't. I just went thru the OSGG (2nd Edition; I think people still consider this one the best, right?). Didn't find one mention of it in the articles (including articles by both Susan and Matt) or definitions. Interesting. A few pages back Roy asked why did OS remove it from resto definition? Call me a cynic, but go thru any OSPG from 2002 up. Who has as many or more ads than anyone else? Why would OS define something as "bad" that would directly, negatively affect one of their biggest advertisers?

Nail on head.

Not that anyone is probably paying attention now. This thread has followed the old pressing thread tradition of turning into a kindergarten playground.

Reading this thread is like a blast from the past. Since the great pressing debate first started way back then a lot has changed. Or, maybe a better way to phrase it is, we know a lot more. It's not a secret anymore.

I think a lot of the initial outrage was certainly a feeling of being duped. CGC offered a service to select clients and most of us had no idea. That all came to light when they were attempting to set up an in house service for the public (I forget what that was called, but someone found the application for the business online). Most people didn't know about pressing. Look back thru the OS ads and see when people started advertising pressing services as a way to specifically increase the grade ("Unlock the hidden potential" is the first one I remember, maybe 2004-05? I don't remember exactly).

Bob (Storms) has said multiple times over the years (and I'm paraphrasing) that if you want to know how the comic grading game plays out, look back at coins. Same stuff happened with "us" as did with coins. Grading service established, services set up to encourage the "CPR" game (continued revenue stream), etc. etc. CGC always has had a vested interest in that game.

I just went through mine (2nd Edition, January 2003), and you're right, "Pressing" isn't listed in the definitions section. But it's mentioned under "Restoration." (see below)

RESTORATION - Any attempt, whether professional or amateur, to enhance the appearance of an aging or damaged comic book. These procedures may include any or all of the following techniques: recoloring, adding missing paper, stain, ink, dirt or tape removal, whitening, pressing out wrinkles, staple replacement, trimming, re-glossing, etc. Amateur work can lower the value of a book, and even professional restoration has now gained a certain negative aura in the modern marketplace from some quarters. In all cases, except for some simple cleaning procedures, a restored book can never be worth the same as an unrestored book in the same condition.

rfoiii is on a roll. Button hit twice in less than 24 hours

#hatersgonnahate

Have I, EVER, stated I didn't like/hated you?

You are being extremely childish and disruptive. Hence button pushed.

I am not one to tell someone to do something, but, #growthefup

Really didn't mean that towards you.

I was making a joke in general.

Then knock it off. I once prided myself on never hitting the button and here I am doing it.

I don't understand why. Others have been posting nonsense and childish comments for page upon page in here. I don't think my posts are any less (or more) disruptive than they are. If you go back, my posts just were #hashtag comments trying to show how silly the argument was - then someone decided to call me immature and insinuate I was seeking approval (yet many others were doing the same in different ways) and then Slym made sniping troll comments (per usual) here and a few other threads where I made similar jokes - so I responded.

In fact for some of the posters that is all they do - jump into threads and make silly comment after comment. Sometimes for pages on end...

Why am I being singled out?

Your continued hashtag nonsense?

Just a guess (shrug)

#hatersgonnahate

Then knock it off. I once prided myself on never hitting the button and here I am doing it.

I don't understand why. Others have been posting nonsense and childish comments for page upon page in here. I don't think my posts are any less (or more) disruptive than they are. If you go back, my posts just were #hashtag comments trying to show how silly the argument was - then someone decided to call me immature and insinuate I was seeking approval (yet many others were doing the same in different ways) and then Slym made sniping troll comments (per usual) here and a few other threads where I made similar jokes - so I responded.

In fact for some of the posters that is all they do - jump into threads and make silly comment after comment. Sometimes for pages on end...

Just a guess (shrug)

No no the singling came before the hashtags. Check your records.

#hatersgonnahate

Just a guess (shrug)

#don'tcareenough

#hatersgonnahate

Just a guess (shrug)

#don'tcareenough

Nice post!

I do appreciate everyone chiming in yet again. It's been a fun read.