• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of stong opinions by people for and against pressing.

I am just wondering what is the driving force/forces AGAINST pressing?

Is it:

A) Pressing could potentially harm the comic

B) Pressing floods the market with "High Grade" comics

C) Pressign is really the same thing as Undisclosed Restoration

D) I dont like seeing books I've sold pressed & flipped for more $ than I sold it for

E) Other...(please elaborate)

Is it:

D) I dont like seeing books I've sold pressed & flipped for more $ than I sold it for

I think it's Other. I think anti-pressers have a visceral reaction to pressing. They just simply want their books unmanipulated in any way. They want a virgin book.

I think it's no different than preferring chocolate to vanilla, or blondes over brunettes. A-D listed above might be the rational arguments that they use to validate their stance, but in the end, the truth is that on a visceral level they just want an unmanipulated book.

Is it:

\

you left out F) all of the above

The most virulent and fanatic amongst them hate pressing because it gives them a platform to feel superior over others in their sad little lives.

Ouch!

...oh good, another pressing thread :whee:

I have to feel something,dont I :cry:

Is it:

\

Yes, it's F). I'd suggest an E) that's also related to money--that people just generally hate the level of greed that pressing introduces to their hobby.

The reason it's HATED as much as it is, i.e. the reason people express such religious-like feelings about it, is primarily D) and the E) I just listed, i.e. money and greed. And the only thing they hate more than D) is other people thinking the main reason they hate it is actually due to D), so it's popular to smokescreen it with E) as being their sole beef with the monetary aspect of pressing. Nobody will ever admit to D) except when they very first learn about pressing and inadvertently reveal this feeling, yet it is widely, almost universally, felt by anyone who's sold a book and became aware it resold for more once pressed.

And I'm not speaking of absolutely everyone here, plenty of people on this board feel strongly about pressing purely due to the greed pressing introduces and wouldn't press books for resale themselves.

Is it:

I think it's Other. I think anti-pressers have a visceral reaction to pressing. They just simply want their books unmanipulated in any way. They want a virgin book.

I think it's no different than preferring chocolate to vanilla, or blondes over brunettes. A-D listed above might be the rational arguments that they use to validate their stance, but in the end, the truth is that on a visceral level they just want an unmanipulated book.

Correct, but I'll also take A...it is a concern that has never been allayed...and as I consider it resto (albeit the least intrusive form), I'll have a bit of C, too.

Additionally, I also worry about the state of the market long term. The market is now a manipulated market and many would argue a false one. This has never ended well. :(

Is it:

\

Yes, it's F). I'd suggest an E) that's also related to money--that people just generally hate the level of greed that pressing introduces to their hobby.

The reason it's HATED as much as it is, i.e. the reason people express such religious-like feelings about it, is primarily D) and the E) I just listed, i.e. money and greed. And the only thing they hate more than D) is other people thinking the main reason they hate it is actually due to D), so it's popular to smokescreen it with E) as being their sole beef with the monetary aspect of pressing. Nobody will ever admit to D) except when they very first learn about pressing and inadvertently reveal this feeling, yet it is widely, almost universally, felt by anyone who's sold a book and became aware it resold for more once pressed.

And I'm not speaking of absolutely everyone here, plenty of people on this board feel strongly about pressing purely due to the greed pressing introduces and wouldn't press books for resale themselves.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your opinion as to the greed aspect?

One could argure that your reference to "greed" is really the seller's potential to flip an asset and maximize their profit -- which is the core of American Marketplace.

I am thinking that this is really coming from a resentment that the presser/seller is flipping the book for a profit -- and that "greed" is really part of option D).