• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

Can you elaborate a bit more on your opinion as to the greed aspect?

One could argure that your reference to "greed" is really the seller's potential to flip an asset and maximize their profit -- which is the core of American Marketplace.

I am thinking that this is really coming from a resentment that the presser/seller is flipping the book for a profit -- and that "greed" is really part of option D).

It's distinct from the jealousy involved in other people making money that you're not. Flaming_Telepath stated it in suggesting it could spell a correction or collapse in the market in the future, although I don't see that happening simply due to pressing. Many, probably most, collectors don't even sell books, wish they were cheap enough for them to afford anything they ever wanted, and when they see people pressing for higher grades and profits, they just see their prized books moving farther and farther out of reach and the introduction of more and more people who don't give a flip about comics and stories but just press and resubmit out of greed. This isn't anything a collector-only type of person could ever like and that many actively dislike.

I don't like it, but it also doesn't bug me much, I'm neutral about it. (shrug)

2 drop dead gorgeous 9's walk into a bar. One is a virgin, one has been pressed manipulated and otherwise defiled. Do you not prefer the virgin?

I have no idea :pullhair:

One could argure that your reference to "greed" is really the seller's potential to flip an asset and maximize their profit -- which is the core of American Marketplace.

I am thinking that this is really coming from a resentment that the presser/seller is flipping the book for a profit -- and that "greed" is really part of option D).

It's distinct from the jealousy involved in other people making money that you're not. Flaming_Telepath stated it in suggesting it could spell a correction or collapse in the market in the future, although I don't see that happening simply due to pressing. Many, probably most, collectors don't even sell books, wish they were cheap enough for them to afford anything they ever wanted, and when they see people pressing for higher grades and profits, they just see their prized books moving farther and farther out of reach and the introduction of more and more people who don't give a flip about comics and stories but just press and resubmit out of greed. This isn't anything a collector-only type of person could ever like and that many actively dislike.

So then this resentment is really just an extension of the whole concept that comic book collecting has morphed into a "high-end collectors" investment game...and that "true collectors" who collect for the art, stories, and historical significance of a comic book have, it appears, taken a permanent seat at the rear of the bus.

Can once conclude that:

Anti-Pressing = True Comic Collector

Pro-Pressing = Comic Investor

I am sure there are shades of gray that can be worked into this equation (like I am anti-pressing when I BUY comics, but I am pro-pressing when I SELL comics), but I think this defines the 2 camps pretty accurately.

So then this resentment is really just an extension of the whole concept that comic book collecting has morphed into a "high-end collectors" investment game...and that "true collectors" who collect for the art, stories, and historical significance of a comic book have, it appears, taken a permanent seat at the rear of the bus.

Can once conclude that:

I am sure there are shades of gray that can be worked into this equation (like I am anti-pressing when I BUY comics, but I am pro-pressing when I SELL comics), but I think this defines the 2 camps pretty accurately.

There's a third category, the I don't care about whether a book has been pressed or not. What would you say I am if I fall in that category, the True Comic Collector or the Comic Investor?

2 drop dead gorgeous 9's walk into a bar. One is a virgin, one has been pressed manipulated and otherwise defiled. Do you not prefer the virgin?

I prefer to know what bar this is, where it's located and what type of additive you have placed in their drink to make them amenable to speaking with, much less any other activity with, any member of this forum.

Wait....

Were these guys the hosts/bartenders? That would explain a world in which this is a possible premise.

page0_blog_entry6_1.jpg

Of course, the analogy is sound, with the gorgeous 9's and with CGC slabbed 9.8's the only way any of us are taking either home is after laying out a ton of cash, and even then, they won't love us back. lol

Can once conclude that:

Absolutely not. I've been to geek-fests where a dozen guys sat around a table until 1am absolutely ga-ga over each others' funny books. These are true collectors, who can talk on and on about writers, artists, and the tiniest artistic flourishes that appear on covers or interior panels. None of the guys could care less about pressing.

Well, except for one.

Anti-Pressing = Someone who prefers the original state of comics.

Pro-Pressing = Comic Dealer or Collector who is overly concerned with the CGC grade.

The "original" state of comics:

Pine-Tree01.jpg

It takes a mess ton of manipulation to get from there to:

300px-Xforce_1.JPG

If you ask me, I prefer the original state. (thumbs u

Can once conclude that:

There's a third category, the I don't care about whether a book has been pressed or not. What would you say I am if I fall in that category, the True Comic Collector or the Comic Investor?

I would say that if you dont care about pressing at all, you would lean closer to the "True Comic Collector" category.

But tell me, if you had to sell your collection, would you press your books to maximize your return, or would you still not care?

I can't say if I'm anti or pro on this subject. I've never had any books pressed and I may own some and don't even know about it. Frankly it wouldn't bother me to find out if I did. I have had long thoughts and discussions on the pro's and cons of CGC and what amounts to essentially turning comics into glorified trading cards.

I think it's Other. I think anti-pressers have a visceral reaction to pressing. They just simply want their books unmanipulated in any way. They want a virgin book.

I also believe that pressing is a form of restoration, and therefore DEMANDS proactive disclosure. (thumbs u

I think it's Other. I think anti-pressers have a visceral reaction to pressing. They just simply want their books unmanipulated in any way. They want a virgin book.

I also believe that pressing is a form of restoration, and therefore DEMANDS proactive disclosure. (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

Yeah, but i'll take both. Keep the virgin and sell the defiled one.

You only demand disclosure because you don't want the pressed book. Probably for the reason stated in my post.

I also believe that pressing is a form of restoration, and therefore DEMANDS proactive disclosure.

That is a stance that is unealistic though. I have never had a book pressed, primarily because I am not smart enough to take advantage of the stampede taking place now. I set up and sell GI Joe # 1's and Wolverine # 1's out of my $25 box and they are massaged/finagled/clean and pressed into plastic encased trading carrds with a zero added to price.

But if pro pressing is undetectable, and from what I know it is undetectable in many cases, then you are asking dealers to volunteer to give away money by disclossing the evil deed. It is like saying that anyone who has had sin in their hearts must now pay 1/2 of all their income in taxes. Suddenly you would have zero people admitting they have had sin in their hearts.It would be swell if we could have the truth, but its something that to expect someone to admit is not realistic.