• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

If you're going through grandpa's attic and find a dusty stack of comics with an AF15 on top, covered in dust, then would the purists here say that blowing the dust off the book would be "restoration"?

hm

:eyeroll:

If you're going through grandpa's attic and find a dusty stack of comics with an AF15 on top, covered in dust, then would the purists here say that blowing the dust off the book would be "restoration"?

hm

:eyeroll::eyeroll:

hm

nevermind.

You guys are a hoot.

hm

Okay since you both seem challenged by coming up with an answer, let me be more direct:

Where does cleaning end and restoration begin? Be specific.

Well with your analogy,wiping dust off of an attic find is one thing. Using chemicals to clean it is another.

Look, people can do what they want with their books,but don't kid yourself that you're not enhancing a book.

Just because a grading company says it isn't, doesn't mean you're not.

I am going to offer an anti pressing service

Send me your pressed books and I will depress, dehumidify and resubmit to CGC and promise at least a .5 less grade or better

hm

Okay since you both seem challenged by coming up with an answer, let me be more direct:

Well with your analogy,wiping dust off of an attic find is one thing. Using chemicals to clean it is another.

Look, people can do what they want with their books,but don't kid yourself that you're not enhancing a book.

Not all cleaning is done with chemicals

hm

Pressing has collapsed values of some books. One example Incredible Hulk 181 in 9.8 before pressing was a 30K book, now not so much.

hm

True. A fellow boardie, etanick, showed how to remove surface dirt off a book using Kleenex.

To be safe, raw books are the way to go. Submit them yourself if you want it in a nice shiny plastic case to display.

hm

Pressing has collapsed values of some books. One example Incredible Hulk 181 in 9.8 before pressing was a 30K book, now not so much.

So... is that what the opposition to pressing is all about - $$ ? hm

Here I thought it would be a good thing to present a classic book in the best appearance possible without altering the original material, inks, paper or staples of the book itself?

Because isn't cleaning dirt by physical means (i.e. non-chemical means such as blowing off dust or dry-erasing a smudge) no different than improving a crease by physical means (i.e. non-invasive means such reflecting a folded corner back or pressing a crease flat)? In both cases, nothing is added nor removed from the original material of the book.

Adding chemicals to alter the ink/paper coloration is restoration. Adding rice-paper to alter the structure of the paper is restoration. Those are both invasive treatments that alter the original material of the book.

I don't see how dry-clean and press is even in the same league?

I am going to offer an anti pressing service

Send me your pressed books and I will depress, dehumidify and resubmit to CGC and promise at least a .5 less grade or better

Wouldn't that qualify as restoration though? You would be restoring it to its all natural, unpressed state.

You're all funny.

Looking

hm

:roflmao:

hm

So... is that what the opposition to pressing is all about - $$ ? hm

Here I thought it would be a good thing to present a classic book in the best appearance possible without altering the original material, inks, paper or staples of the book itself?

Because isn't cleaning dirt by physical means (i.e. non-chemical means such as blowing off dust or dry-erasing a smudge) no different than improving a crease by physical means (i.e. non-invasive means such reflecting a folded corner back or pressing a crease flat)? In both cases, nothing is added nor removed from the original material of the book.

Adding chemicals to alter the ink/paper coloration is restoration. Adding rice-paper to alter the structure of the paper is restoration. Those are both invasive treatments that alter the original material of the book.

I don't see how dry-clean and press is even in the same league?

It's all part of the value of a book,just a part of it

As far as the second part of your question. Whatever makes you sleep good at night.

hm

When and where were hulk 181s selling for 30K? the highest one I can find is on heritage from 2009 at 26k and compared to others sold around the same time its already insanely over priced. I know the 26k has white pages but really wp is worth 9k extra?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2012.09.52%20AM.png

In 2003 a 9.8 sold for 17k, not sure where these 30k 9.8s are at (shrug)

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2012.05.49%20AM.png

I agree with your statement and, though I prefer an unpressed book, I am okay with a properly pressed book. However, the advanced pressing techniques we are seeing today sometimes do alter the original structure of the book. Staple tucks, spine realignment, right edge fanning is not what I call originality. Also, with all the home pressing going on, I see a lot more brown edges,staple tears, and misaligned books than ever. A properly pressed book, done by a professional, can make a dramatic improvement on a book. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

hm

When and where were hulk 181s selling for 30K? the highest one I can find is on heritage from 2009 at 26k and compared to others sold around the same time its already insanely over priced. I know the 26k has white pages but really wp is worth 9k extra?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2012.09.52%20AM.png

In 2003 a 9.8 sold for 17k, not sure where these 30k 9.8s are at (shrug)

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2012.05.49%20AM.png

Remember most auction sites don't report to GPA. I vaguely remember the 30K sale. I think it was with Metro. However, it was probably the first 9.8 on the census. That window closed fast !

I will pay extra $ for a virgin, undefiled, "un-pressed" CGC book :o:banana:

My answer is both Yes and No to your comment. While is nice to own a virgin, undefiled, "in-pressed" CGC book. FYI, I own at lease baker's dozen of these.

But...I always find a raw virgin undefiled, "un-pressed" book with greater thrill than a sealed CGC book. Every time I find a very nice clean raw book brought. I can't explain why but I like the smell and feeling the cover and pages, the smile on my face...

Like I had my first date. :luhv: